Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Software for HP IPAQ

Options
  • 26-11-2007 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I hope someone can give me some advise on this. My husband has a HP IPAQ and I would like to get him GPS software for it for Christmas. He mentioned before that he would like to get it. However, I'm not very [FONT=&quot]knowledgeable about these things and I don't have a clue what to look for. I know that he has lots of memory and bluetooth on his PDA but that's about it. I've done lots of internet searching but it has made me even more confused. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Aeshna.
    [/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭tdavfc

Hi,

Do you know the model number of the Ipaq, just to make sure it has a built in GPS receiver.. Most new models from the hw 6910 up-wards have them. If he has all you need to buy is the GPS software. Some of them come with a limited version of Tom Tom on it. I have the hw6915 and personally preferred the Route 66 Navigate 7 software as it has Navteq Maps which are very good. I bought it from an Irish website called Mysatnav and here is the Link:

http://www.mysatnav.ie/route66-iso

You could get it from Route66 website (which is cheaper) but I don't know what the delivery times would be. Its 99 euro on Mysatnav and 59.95 euro on Route66 website..

http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=IE&sec=9&ssec=0&prodid=2189

It didn't mention on the Route66 website that my model the 6915 was supported but I installed the software and it works perfect. Your husband will need access PC with a USB card reader to install the software onto his Ipaq SD card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aeshna

Thanks so much for your reply. I've searched for the manuals for the IPAQ but can't find them anywhere. I'm nearly sure it does have the GPS receiver in it - I have the IPAQ here now and if I go to Settings < Systems there is a GPS Icon. This probably means it has the receiver??
    Hopefully I will get it from the Route66 website.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aeshna

Actually, I've just found a document and its either the IPAQ 2490 or the 2790. I checked the Route 66 link and they are both compatible for that Software. It's great to have this sorted. Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭tdavfc

Aeshna,

Don't jump the gun just because it says its compatible doesn't mean the IPaq has GPS.. You might still have to buy an external blue-tooth GPS receiver which can be costly.. Let me see if I can find out if the iPaq has GPS.. Or is anybody else out there that can Help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

tdavfc wrote: »
    Aeshna,

Don't jump the gun just because it says its compatible doesn't mean the IPaq has GPS.. You might still have to buy an external blue-tooth GPS receiver which can be costly.. Let me see if I can find out if the iPaq has GPS.. Or is anybody else out there that can Help...

The 2490 doesn't seem to have integrated gps according to this
    So as the previous poster said you may have to get an accompanying gps receiver as well (either bluetooth or cf-slot based)
    Not sure about the 2790..

Edit: Unfortunately the 2790 doesn't seem to have inbuilt gps either according to this

I'm sure you could pick up a gps receiver/satnav software combo cheaply.
    You could just go for a bluetooth receiver (i think both 2490/2790 have bluetooth) but since the 2490/2790 have cf slots in them (AFAIK) you could also get a cf-based gps receiver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement