Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danti Dan

Options
  • 26-11-2007 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Has any Tipperary person seen Galloglass's lastest production Danti Dan by Gina Moxley which is currently travelling the country. It is playing theatres all over the place but nowhere in Tipperary. It got great reviews in the national press and on the web reviews. What a shame we can't get to see it without travelling to Birr, Macroom, Tallaght, Ballymun, Kilmallock or God knows where.:mad:
    The centre of Clonmel is dying and I believe that a Theatre /Arts space could be central to its revival.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Has any Tipperary person seen Galloglass's lastest production Danti Dan by Gina Moxley which is currently travelling the country. It is playing theatres all over the place but nowhere in Tipperary. It got great reviews in the national press and on the web reviews. What a shame we can't get to see it without travelling to Birr, Macroom, Tallaght, Ballymun, Kilmallock or God knows where.:mad:
    The centre of Clonmel is dying and I believe that a Theatre /Arts space could be central to its revival.

I agree, for a town of its size, it's a disgrace that Clonmel doesn't have a Theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

The White Memorial Theatre is there, however it is a very uncomfortable space both for the artist and for the audience. Enormous and expensive work would need to be done to make it a viable modern space where professional as well as amateur work could be performed. It is to the eternal credit of the local committee that it is there at all, unfortunately its very existence in it present state masks the problem of the lack of a suitable theatre space.

Has all the money for theatre and the performing arts in Tipperary gone into the EXCEL in Tipperary Town?

The Source in Thurles is a real asset to the town of Thurles.

Why has a big centre of population like Clonmel been left behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

There used to be the Regal Theatre. It was run privately for a few years after reverting back to a theatre for the old cinema, but it was trading as a loss and closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

The Regal was a beautiful theatre, I understand that it was built as a theatre and later was converted for use as a cinema and then back again to a theatre. In my view it is impossible for a totally privately owned theatre even in a large city to brake even not to mind make a profit. Even the 'Gate' can't exist without Arts' Council subvention.
    I believe that the local governent (both Corporation and County Council) missed a glorious opportunity when it failed to purchase the Regal while it was on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I believe that the local governent (both Corporation and County Council) missed a glorious opportunity when it failed to purchase the Regal while it was on sale.

As far as I know they sold it on and one of the conditionals of the sale was it had to be operated as a theatre for 3 years after it was purchased.

Totally agree that local authorities should assist in the running of theatres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement