Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Vaio laptop for under €1000

Options
  • 26-11-2007 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Came across this Sony Vaio Laptop on the Web, spec below (I posted this in Bargain alerts, but might be better here)

It's selling for €972.93, which is a great price. Delivery is €25 to Ireland and is fully insured in transit for damages/loss.

This same laptop is selling for just under €1,400 in the sony shops here, I was looking at one on saturday.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Sony_VAI...1E/version.asp

Product Description - Sony VAIO AR41E - Core 2 Duo T7250 2 GHz - 17" TFT
    Recommended Use - Home use
    Dimensions (WxDxH) - 41.6 cm x 30 cm x 3.4 cm
    Weight - 3.9 kg
    Localisation - English
    Platform Technology - Intel Centrino Duo
    System Type - Notebook
    Built-in Devices - Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    Cache Memory - 2 MB - L2 Cache
    RAM - 2 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 667 MHz - PC2-5300 ( 2 x 1 GB ) - Low cost double memory offer, call for details!
    Card Reader - Yes
    Hard Drive - 200 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    Optical Storage - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
    Display - 17" TFT active matrix 1440 x 900 ( WXGA+ )
    Graphics Controller - NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT - 128MB dedicated, up to 895MB TurboCache
    Audio Output - Sound card
    Telecom - Fax / modem - 56 Kbps
    Networking - Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g
    Wireless NIC - Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    Notebook Camera - Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
    Input Device - Keyboard, touchpad
    Battery - Lithium Ion
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - English
    Manufacturer Warranty - 1 year warranty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Not bad, but still a bit over priced against a compartitive Dell, although I know Sony laptops are a bit more pleasing on the eye (although Dell's new vostro's...verrrry nice..) so I guess if you like a bit more style and appearence with the price tag to reflect that, well then Sony's are the way to go.
    If it's your cup of tea then I guess its good value, not gone on it myself personally plus the laptopsdirect bit in the website link put me off straight away...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

can i suggest this;vostro 1500 same spec but the upgrade of the graphics card, an extra gig of ram, but 40gig less hard drive, all for about 906 including vat but no delivery. only the 15.4 screen also but it means the vostro comes in with less weight, you can go to the 1700 with the 17 screen for about 50euro more i think.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=N4X15003&l=en&m_30=115470&oc=N11150005&rbc=N11150005&s=bsd

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sonys look nicer than Apples IMO. but I worry that you are paying a premium and often getting idosyncratic HW compared with Dell, Acer, Lenovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Yea points taken. I just thought it was good value considering the Sony Shop (in Drogheda anyway) had this same model reduced from €1600 to €1400.

So an additional €400 saving again from the web cant be bad. And in fairness its not a bad specification.

The Vostro is nice, but people wanting style :eek::eek:, may like to consider the Vaio.

Just thought it was a nice price, and it coming up to Christmas and all !

• Advertisement
Advertisement