Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 knocks...

• 26-11-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

This is my first time posting here so sorry if this is a bit silly...

On saturday night I was at home when I was sure I heard 3 knocks at the door. I got up and opened the door but there was no one there, I took a quick look aroud outside but I couldn't see anything. I went back inside thinking that I must have imagined it (I don't think it was a prank because it was dark outside so none of the kids would have been out plus it was raining). That night when myself and my boyfriend were going up to bed he thought he heard 3 knocks, he checked and again there was no one at the door. Now I was right beside him and I didn't hear anything and the TV, everything was turned off but he is convinced that there was definitely 3 knocks. I was a bit freaked out at the time, not because it was 12 o clock at night and there was someone knocking at the door as my boyfriend thought, but because I remembered hearing something before about this being a death omen. Before my grandmother died my mother heard 3 knocks on her bedroom window.

I told my mother about this today and her face fell so now the 2 of us are freaked out. Does anyone else have any experience of this (with happy endings please!)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well its definately a well known death omen but other than theres nothing really I could add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

Yes i've heard of the 3 knocks but don't worry too much about it, somebody should be dead by now, it normally happens the night before a death, maybe death got the wrong door he he. Another death omen i've heard of is falling holy pictures,anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Falling pictures, a bird in the house, the 3 knocks and the black dog are all death omens in my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

hey pigletlover,

I have heard the three knocks on my window which have been an upstairs bedroom and it would have been three knock on three occassions on the same night and well I am still alive, so dont let it get in on you or allow your imagination run to wild.

My granny had a robin visit inside her house for a good number of years, no harm came to her, heard my mothers friend tell of the night her mother died, 4 or 5 dogs they had on the farm kept circling the house howling, she said it never happened before or since but the family knew at the time that something was going to happen

• Advertisement

Whats the black dog omen, what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Thanks for the replies, puts my mind at ease a bit. When I told my mother she told me she's been dreaming that she was a widow for the last week so I think it was her reaction that threw me a bit.
    My granny had a robin visit inside her house for a good number of years, no harm came to her, heard my mothers friend tell of the night her mother died, 4 or 5 dogs they had on the farm kept circling the house howling, she said it never happened before or since but the family knew at the time that something was going to happen

Where I grew up, the dogs used to go mad before someone died, when me and my friend heard them we knew someone was going to die. People thought we were mad and used to laugh at us but we were always right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

If we are talking old wives tales,dreaming a person has died is supposed to mean long life to them,where I come from anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Falling pictures, a bird in the house, the 3 knocks and the black dog are all death omens in my family.

That's true a couple of weeks ago a bird flew into my room only stayed for about 2 or 3 seconds then flew out again,about 2 weeks later my great aunt died suddenly.
    Whats the black dog omen, what happens?
    I've never heard that.
    I boyfriend owns a black dog-i quite like him-his names Blackie (not very originally i know-i didn't name him)

• Advertisement

It is not a dog known to the family it is a strange dog that either follows a person home or turns up at the door of the house or the garden gate and may or may not howl but makes it's presence known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

The black dog (ghost) I find that one very interesting and have only come accross simalar stories. Gave me a bit of a chill actually as I was in the woods yesterday taking a walk and I could have sworn I saw a large black dog in the growth but as I passed the tree there was nothing there :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Thaedydal wrote: »

Would you believe that 3 of those happened in the 3 days before my gran passed on ... no word of a lie.

Falling picture of Pope John Paul over fireplace - no reason for it.
    Next morning a sparrow found its way into the kitchen - still don't know how - but made bits of the place.
    My aunt heard the 3 knocks (she's not one to make things up) a few hours before she passed.

God rest her soul.

A huge black dog with glowing eyes, I think if I saw one of those I'd drop dead before I got to tell anyone, does it appear inside the house or outside?

Outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I only just realised that this summer we had two birds (big crows) get into the kitchen somehow and two people died very suddenly and tragically a few weeks after.

I can't really remember but I think it happened with one bird a couple of years ago before another tragic death in the family.

I've never paid much attention to superstition before but this is interesting.

I have heard knocks on the door. The death a couple of years ago was while I was away. I was having a shower (over 3000 miles distance) and heard a knock so loud I thought it was my husband and called out to him. But he wasn't anywhere near the house at the time.
    My grandmother and the whole side of my Dad's family always believed a knock at the door meant death was close, but thought of it as the person coming to guide the person to the spirit world was the one knocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That dog is known as shuck isnt it? Freaky thing happned to me once. I'm from a country area and used to babysit for my dads friend. One night they had all gone out and the taxi dropped my dad back to the friends house so we said we'd walk the short distance home. On the way back you could hear claws on the road bhind us, like a dog who's nails need to be clipped but when you look back, nothing there. I heard it first and said nothing. Then my dad (a compltly non-superstisous (sp?) hard as nails country man) started walking faster and hurrying me. So I asked if he could hear it too. He denied hearing anything, just said it was getting chilly so he wanted to get it. Anyway when we sped up, so did the noise. When we slowed down, so did the noise. Terrifying! As we turned into the yard we both looked back and saw a large black dog (so solid my dad actually went to check his lurchers were still in their pen). When we were safely indoors he admited he had heard it but didn't want me freaking out. That apparently it was heard and seen before by peopl in his family and he knew what it meant. That night an aunt in England died. Freaky stuff.

We never told anyone else in the fam. (although my sis does be on boards so I'm sure she knows now :D )Now he denies even remembering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

That's true a couple of weeks ago a bird flew into my room only stayed for about 2 or 3 seconds then flew out again,about 2 weeks later my great aunt died suddenly.

2 weeks? Is there not some sort of "time limit" on these omens?
    Otherwise it could be argued that it was a coincidence.

Sorry about your great Aunt by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

in my opinion there is no such thing as a bad omen ,just old wives tales passed on from generation to generation,,,,,

if your not good santa wont bring you presents just a bag of ashes,
    if you see one magpie on its own you say good morning your reverence,,
    if you walk under a ladder,,,,,
    if we were to live our lives from all the old wives tales,,you would never go out side the door

sorry for the loss of your great aunt....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Louise 111

I have experienced on four separate occasions in the last 2 years knocking like that in the middle of the night .. 3loud solid knocks ... The most recent was couple of days ago ... I know it is a sign that death is near for someone close as the last 3 times it happened someone past a week after it happened. Strange me parents used to get the knocking now I get it ... Pray that it is the right time for the person who is about to leave...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Maryboo1

I always hear three knocks before the death of someone close to me.Can happen at anytime ,middle of the day usually.

Advertisement