Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand Laptops

Options
  • 26-11-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am looking for a laptop for work. The reason I do not want a new one is that it will be in an unsecured area and used only for transferring programs to robots and CNC machines. I don't want a new shiny "Steal-able" Laptop.
    I would probably only buy from a Shop, are there any such shops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Fraid not really, not mainstream shops anyways, maybe local dealers but your best bet is eBay or indeed Buy & Sell.
    Caveat Emptor applies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,163 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

yeah ebay (shops) or adverts probably a good place to start

bought a 3 year old ibm x31 from this seller 3 months ago, don't know if i was lucky or what, but it was like new with perfectly good battery(which i wasn't expecting)
    http://computers.search.ebay.ie/_Laptops_W0QQcatrefZC2QQfrppZ25QQfrtsZ0QQsacatZ177QQsassZmirek999

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I'd felt the urge to get a 2nd hand IBM myself (which would bring to 3 the number of laptops I have....only being able to use one ata time..) but anyways! Have been keeping an eye on ebay of late looking for a broken/faulty one for a fixer upper.
    The seller you linked to his prices are quite high for 3 year old laptops, fairenough there nice and solid as f*** but still €320 ex shipping is a lot to be paying considering the price of new laptops with better spec's than the IBM has to offer.
    I will keep searching though, theres something very appealing about IBM's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Personally I'd go with adverts myself. You might have to wait a while before you find something you like but you'll find some bargains in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you don't need a working battery S/H may be OK. Usually the battery is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,163 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

majiktripp wrote: »
    I'd felt the urge to get a 2nd hand IBM myself (which would bring to 3 the number of laptops I have....only being able to use one ata time..) but anyways! Have been keeping an eye on ebay of late looking for a broken/faulty one for a fixer upper.
    The seller you linked to his prices are quite high for 3 year old laptops, fairenough there nice and solid as f*** but still €320 ex shipping is a lot to be paying considering the price of new laptops with better spec's than the IBM has to offer.
    I will keep searching though, theres something very appealing about IBM's.

i paid about 290e ex.shipping at the time, which i agree even that seems steep with 45e shipping. But it's a 1.4ghz pentium m, so performance is fine for what i need, and new budget laptops for 450e to 600e don't have much better performance with the celeron or single core processors, build quality usually not great on cheaper laptopsnand the new lenovo x60's physically aren't that different... .3kg lighter, little thinner.

wasn't recommending the x31 as such to the op, but the seller does sell old business laptops so maybe might be a place to watch out for something suitable... would be tempted to buy an old t22 sometime myself to mess about with, but also have 3 laptops at the moment shouldn't even think about it :)

Advertisement