Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell D505 Boot problem & screen

Options
  • 26-11-2007 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

My girlfriends D505 has suddenly gone strange. Now the screen is not lit only for about a second on start up (Bios check). It then goes off but its still operating. If you shine a torch over the screen you can read there is a system file missing?

Now if i connect it to an external monitor it works (After pressing function F8), but still this error. Ive changed boot system to boot from CD 1st and i can get the XP disk to start. But the screen problem is my worry as even when running the xp install disk its not on (Can only get a picture with external monitor).

I dont want to repair or re install if the screen is not going to work again.

I fear the worst with this one!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sounds like psu fault on backlight and the file error is a separate issue. It's repairable. Don't go re-installing, as that will not cure the screen issue since the screen is not correct even with setup CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

DIY job or proffesional job? Im confident with desktop maintanence but laptops a different ball game!

See online Dell manual. They usually have dissassembly instructions.

Since light flickers on briefly the more expensive harder to replace lamp may be OK.

Then search google and ebay for a replacement "whatever the manual" part says the back light PSU is.

Sadly on some models it is part of the motherboard. That would not be worth replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Might be worth fixing the screen as parts for the older model Dell laptops have come down in price greatly, plus with the weak dollar buying from the US is your best bet.
    I did a quick ebay search for "D505 lcd" and found some cheap enough , your looking at probably $150 (mind you thats for the enitre screen not just the backlight).
    I would try and fix it yourself even just to gain some technical experience as could come in handy in future!.

Thanks lads, im fairly technically minded and handy with a screwdriver. I may well give it a go, But what your saying Watty sounds like its def the lamp as the screen was flickering bad the last week or so before it went. The system problem possibly due to the girlfriend switching off and restarting with a black screen!

• Advertisement

No. Flickering is usually PSU fault.
    Lamp failure is two kinds:
    Gradual fade or simply goes off.

Had a result, rang dell up apparently the laptop had a 5 year worldwide cover. It came from Finland and its covered here as well. Dell are sending an engineer out as its still covered under the repair warranty! My girlfriend brought it second hand. They asked no questions, just stated that the service tag said its less than 5 years old so they'll repair it. They are going to put a new screen on it and a new main board!!

Advertisement