Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Trains

Options
  • 25-11-2007 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Does anyone know when the new trains will enter service on the Sligo line? IE have said Autumn its now Winter!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

AFAIK there is only of them in the country yet-anyone feel free to correct me here. That one has been up and down the line and I have seen it in the yard at Connolly but I haven't heard any update on when it's supposed to be in service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

eve wrote: »
    AFAIK there is only of them in the country yet-anyone feel free to correct me here.

Consider yourself corrected then. :p

There are at least 10 sets in the country now, most of them are based in Limerick. They are still in testing, driver training and fault finding atm. Still haven't got their safety cert yet AFAIK.

Not likely to enter service now until early 2008.

They will more than likely be trialled on some of the quieter Sligo runs for a week or two and once any problems that throws up are dealt with they should quickly take over all the Sligo runs.

They have been guage tested on most of the lines now. Only the 3 car sets have been delivered so far, none of the 6-car ones which include catering and 1st class for services out of Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

It's still autumn. Winter does not start until the winter equinox....probably the 21st December but varies a little from year to year. Weatherwise, it begins on the 1st of December.

Having said that, the new trains probably won't start being used for public use until the new year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

Another glorious cock-up by Irish Rail.

Theres no way to know when the new trains will be in service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the trains are still being tested...were IR to rush them into service and something go wrong THEN that would be a glorious cock-up....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They probably don't want the drivers striking before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The new Sligo schedule comes into play on I think the 20th January 2008 and they are likely to be in full use by then, with some use before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote: »
    The new Sligo schedule comes into play on I think the 20th January 2008 and they are likely to be in full use by then, with some use before that.

They will need to be, without them they are going to have to deferr the improved timetable.

IE have been very fortunate so far with all of their DMUs being relatively reliable from the start, OK the 2700s weren't the best but they didn't fail all over the place in service like some designs in other countries have done.

The troubles (non-HR related) with the Cork sets shows just how badly things go when new designs of rail vehicles are not sorted properly and they were only trailers.

Let's hope these new MUs can follow the 2900s and give solid service from the start, by far the worst thing IE can do is bring them into service with outstanding issues. It would be better to wait a bit longer than have the PR disaster of having new trains bringing the Sligo line to a halt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I see them every now and again on the Maynooth line (Sligo line). They look good.

While it doesnt affect me I'd rather travel on a safe train than a train that got rushed into service because of public demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

kearnsr wrote: »
    While it doesnt affect me I'd rather travel on a safe train than a train that got rushed into service because of public demand.

People aren't demanding them :rolleyes:

IE had posters up for along time announcing they would be good to go in the Autumn. The question people are asking is which Autumn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Autumn in Ireland is August, September, October
    Most of the rest of the world its September, October, November - so they've still got a week by that definition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

markf909 wrote: »
    People aren't demanding them :rolleyes:

IE had posters up for along time announcing they would be good to go in the Autumn. The question people are asking is which Autumn?

Demanding maybe the wrong use of words but it appears to me that people want them now becuase IR said they would be ready in Autum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

kearnsr wrote: »
    Demanding maybe the wrong use of words but it appears to me that people want them now becuase IR said they would be ready in Autum.

I'd presume in the same way that "on time" in IE-land means "anything up to ten minutes after it was due", "Autumn" probably means "some time before next April".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The best one is Winter 200X - is that at the start or end of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

The posters originally said Summer 2007. But that got pushed back to Autumn, and now it probably will be Spring 2008. Sigh.

Victor wrote: »
    The best one is Winter 200X - is that at the start or end of the year?

By Irish Rails logic it any time you want it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

Enigma365 wrote: »
    The posters originally said Summer 2007. But that got pushed back to Autumn, and now it probably will be Spring 2008. Sigh.
    Better yet, they may well just have taken the posters down so that they can reuse them next year >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

ummmm, the sligo routes getting new trains, is the kildare route getting them too? Or will I still have to hang out the window of a dirty old rust bucket to reach the door handle while getting my head done in by buzzing in the ceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All the Mk2Ds will be gone in a few months so no more sticking arms out windows to open doors. The buzzing ceilings are always going to happen with air con.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

As far as I know all intercity fleet been replaced eventually with new trains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

the buzzing I mentioned was the antiquated intercom system. You know the one that either blows the head off ya when the driver starts speaking or just constantly buzzes and you cant understand anything on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madboggar

Does anyone no will these new trains mean an increase of stops at kilcock train station, at the moment we only have 2 a day

(My bad meant the weekends)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

madboggar wrote: »
    Does anyone no will these new trains mean an increase of stops at kilcock train station, at the moment we only have 2 a day

2? There is 6 direct trains to and 7 from Kilcock weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

madboggar wrote: »

(My bad meant the weekends)
    These are intercity trains which means they wont be stopping at Kilcok but the Enfield Dublin service should be improved as the 2900's that are currently in use on the Sligo line will be put into sercive on the commuter runs for which they were intended.

Advertisement