Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Option for BBC Reception ?

Options
  • 24-11-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Having just returned home from the UK...I miss my BBC radio. What is the best option for getting good-quality reception ?. I have basic NTL connections in most rooms...and I can get obviously get really good reception through the NTL box in the main room. Would an outdoor AM aerial get decent MW reception...as other than the NTL option I have no idea of how to get FM reception.

I'd purchase a decent tuner if I thought it would work.

Many thanks,
    Kevin.

PS. Hopefully this is the correct forum for my question.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm pretty sure NTL carry BBC radio over their analogue service too. Plug cable from wall socket into hifi, and scan the FM band as normal (may need TV/FM diplexer to seperate the FM's and TV channels).

Unless they've stopped carrying the FM channels... no info on their poor website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

If you have broadband, you could get an internet radio player and plug it in to your hi fi. Not quite FM, but a lot better than MW. I think you can get just about any flavour of BBC you want this way.

I listen to 5 Live quite a lot, and Test Match Special is great. Radio 4 LW and Radio 5 MW are a bit iffy where I live, radio reception seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing. All comes through loud and clear on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DesM

I have just purchsed a FRECOM MusicPal wireless digital internet radio. Problem getting BBC on it so today I phoned Frecom who told me that it is not possible to listen to BBC on wifi radio. Complete waste of a purchase.
    But your comment would seem to suggest that it is possible??
    DesM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

I get all the BBC stations through the internet with my setup. These stations are streamed in a RealMedia audio format.

I am using a Squeezebox. Perhaps your Freecom can't handle Real Media audio streams??

I think RTE stream using RealMedia formats as well, can you pick up any RTE radio streams?

Ok, just had a quick google, it appears your Freecom can't handle Real Audio formats, which is a bit crap in my opinion. There are lots of internet radio stations using Real Audio streams. But it looks like Freecom are working on it, will be a firmware upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Having just returned home from the UK...I miss my BBC radio. What is the best option for getting good-quality reception ?. I have basic NTL connections in most rooms...and I can get obviously get really good reception through the NTL box in the main room. Would an outdoor AM aerial get decent MW reception...as other than the NTL option I have no idea of how to get FM reception.

I'd purchase a decent tuner if I thought it would work.

Many thanks,
    Kevin.

PS. Hopefully this is the correct forum for my question.
    I know it's months since you posted this question, but have you considered a s/hand SKY box and sat dish? Without a subscription, the box will give you hi-fi quality BBC radio reception (all channels), plus RTE Radio 1, 2, Lyric FM and a load more, plus BBC and ITV TV channels (not CH4 or 5, though!) - all for free :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement