Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Elections 2008 - Ron Paul

Options
  • 24-11-2007 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I'm a not an American citizen and therefore I can't vote or donate to presidential candidates. In my opinion the coming American elections will have an impact that will be felt all over the world: be it in Iraq, the South Pole or Shannon Airport.

What I'm wondering is how UCC's American population will vote, are they mainly Republican or Democrats? Would the setting up of a UCC Ron Paul Society have any worthwhile impact? I'd like to do something to help his campaign and if it would help I'm willing to set up such a society.

IM NOT A MEMBER OF NOR DO I SUPPOURT ANY EXISITING UCC POLITICAL SOCIETY
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 goldnoil

Hello

There is an Irish Ron Paul Meetup Group.

We are having a meetup at 3:00 this Saturday December 1 at the Burlington Hotel in Dublin.

Even if you can not make it please help get the word around.

The URL for the Irish Ron Paul group is http://ronpaul.meetup.com/515/

The press release announcing the meeting can be viewed here:

http://www.pressreleaseireland.com/2007/11/27/irish-ron-paul-group-organisational-meeting-announced/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

What do you hope to achieve? And how do you plan to achieve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I don't particurly see the point in a Ron Paul group in Ireland, unless you think UCC students are particurly rich.:D

Other then that, I wouldn't mind seeing Paul as the next president so ye have my best wishes. If I was an American I would no doubt vote for him if I had the chance, irregardless of his dodgy stance on certain social isses and foreign policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

listen that man has no hope of getting the nomination.
    divert your attention instead to getting mitt romney elected.
    Ron Paul is too liberal even for the dems.
    im glad to see that the replys are not all hillary this and hillary that,
    she needs to be kept away from the white house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 vodochilie

I'm glad a conversation has started.

What I would like to find out is how many Americans in UCC shall be voting in 2008. Would a Ron Paul society influence their voting and could such a society make even a small difference to the election results. If so let the campaigning begin.

I'm not pro-Republican and have no time for Mit Romney (to be fair I know little about him), Rudy Giuliani makes me sick.

I support Ron Paul for the following reasons:

1. Troops out of Iraq
    2. Abolishment of illegal IRS, yes it's illegal
    3. Stopping unilateral aid to Israel
    4. Tying the dollar down to gold and thus stabilising the world economy and it would also take power away from the Federal Reserve/World Bank
    5. He is against a North American Union
    6. He will end "terrorism" (in the Fox news sense of the word)

If some of my points are wrong please let me know, I've been politically educated via the Internet and I accept a lot of what I believe may not be true.

• Advertisement

not sure on irs issue.
    but his isolationist viewpoint is no good for america or the world for that matter.
    is he gonna pull the us out of UN and NATO in the process.
    as for the gold standard idea, there is not need for it .
    inflation is under control and unemployment is still at record lows historically.
    linking the dollar and gold would just lead to speculation and massive inbalances in trade if the dollar continued to fall.
    china holds a large % of itd foreign reserves in dollars as well as having large gold mines, why would you want to enrich a repressive regime like china.
    with the exception of the iraq issue, the american public are happy with the status quo. ron paul is an ideologe and living in fantasy world.
    what are his opinions on global warming just out of interest.

also dont knock Fox News, the statisticts show how popular it is.
    CNN CBS NBC are completely left in their thinking and all support hillary in 2008.
    you may disagree but its the truth.
    fox news is ideologicaly on the right but it can back up all its claims and reporting with hard facts.
    CBS ie dan rathers claims about bush and his army issues/ CNN having closet hillary activists asking questions in the republican debate last thursday.
    you know what you getting with fox. truth
    just another question for you in one word.
    do you want america to win in the war on terror?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You people must have very short memories.

Do you remember during the last election, when the non-Americans rallied around Kerry? The Yanks didn't take too kindly to be told who to vote for!

There is no leftist new channel in America they just seem that way in comparison to Fox. A gold standard would stop the manipulation of the dollar by the Federal Reserve. The disbandment of the IRS is one of his polices.

Viewership doesn't prove anything about Fox.

As regards global warming he has only delt with polution, his basic concept is no one has the right to pollute someone elses' land and that the poluter should be proscecuted and it is the obligation of the federal government to ensure such cases are encouraged. I think he tries to apply this to the international polution issue.

Unfourtinatley as a republican he's not very strong on the issue of global warming.

However, I warn you, Global warming was invented by Margert Thacther to soften the blow physcologicaly of Britains flagship industry collapsing, i.e. coal exports. The concept was then hijacked by leftist parties. Global warming is happening but it is an unstoppible event. Don't listen to people who will try to gain power by exploiting it. Still as a scientist I know pollution is a mayjor problem, Global warming is not the be all and end all of the enviroment, ozone depletion is by far more critical, the polution of the earths water and biodiversity are also huge issues and I'm resentful that through peoples' ignorance these issues are being shadowed by the fallacy of Global Warming.

On a different note, how do you think the fundamentalist christians of America effect the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

settopbox wrote: »
    also dont knock Fox News, the statisticts show how popular it is.
    CNN CBS NBC are completely left in their thinking and all support hillary in 2008.
    you may disagree but its the truth.
    fox news is ideologicaly on the right but it can back up all its claims and reporting with hard facts.
    CBS ie dan rathers claims about bush and his army issues/ CNN having closet hillary activists asking questions in the republican debate last thursday.
    you know what you getting with fox. truth
    just another question for you in one word.
    do you want america to win in the war on terror?

Fox News tell the truth? I havent heard something funnier than that all day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

You people must have very short memories.

Do you remember during the last election, when the non-Americans rallied around Kerry? The Yanks didn't take too kindly to be told who to vote for!

The 'yanks' almost all voted for Kerry in the last election.

Why should their be a 'leftist' news channel in the US? Journalism is supposed to aim for objectivity. Cancelling out right wing bias by throwing in some left wing into the mix makes no sense.

there's fug all else to do

by winning the war on terror I mean remeding the situation, i should have phrased that differently.

Fact: There are no sleeper cells in europe or america.

Fact: Al Quada has no international capabilities.

Fact: Iran poses no threat to anyone, except Israel and I don't have a problem with that.

Fact: I used shaving balm for the first time 5 mins ago, it feels really good, i recomend it.

fabio- can you give an example of diashomest on behalf of fox news.

orizio bush won both the eceltoral college and got a popular mandate from the people.
    THIS MEANS THAT A MAJORITY OF PEOPLE DID NOT VOTE FOR KERRY THEY VOTED FOR BUSH;

MORE DISHONESTY FROM THE LEFT!
    surprise surprise

bush did win the popular vote in 2004......62,028,285 to 59,028,109

it was 2000 when bush lost the popular vote to Gore by 543,896 votes

However there's big controversy surrounding both sets of results.

Settopbox, you must conceed that Bush was relected in 2004 on a false ticket ie North Korea issue of nuclear proliferation, how fast that evapourated after the elections! plus there's more but you probably know all the main stuff already.

ok, examples of Fox's lies.

On a personal not I've been to Cuba and took a tour of the Cuban hospital featuerd in Michael Moores' documentary "Sicko", it's Cuba's best hospital, it is way better than CUH, in every respect, The O Reihy factor did a follow up on this hospital on fox, i know first hand that they flat out lied, 100% lied.

Ok check theses out on youtube if you want to see more of Faux's spoof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ3uGFs1cac&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wu1i6GooQY

ok these ones are good, Bill Clinton fights fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DI7u-TytRU

but settopbox your right the left is full of **** mainly because so many idiots migrate to the left, for example hippies, people who suppourt Sinn Fein by wearing celtic jerseys or militant republican tshirts, but the right then has rednecks and people who think Fine Gael have anything to offer modern Ireland. Why do Fine Gael vilify Sin Fein? because the old is scared of the new ( i dont mean this literaly).

Today, people admit to being left if they are leftist, but no one every admits that they are right wing.

I hate all political partys in ireland, I should start my own

i like Ron Pauls independence and charisma but realistically he is only a show candidate for the libertarians.
    his iraq policy appeals to those on the left and some on the right.
    its a good thing that he is highlighting issues which other may not be thinking about, but i feel that eventually he will throw his support behind rudy.
    the irish political parties are all the same the greens and labour have some different policies and ideas but FF anf FG are identical.
    the PDs are an interesting party but there support has evaporated and they wont survive much longer.

why clucking bell would ron paul suppourt rudy?

Rudy doesn't have a chance, all his spoof has been dated, he gets ripped apart in debates these days, the avergae american relises that he is milking 911, CBS made a doc about how the NYFD hate him and how he completed fecked them over pre-911 and then looked to them for a massive PR and thankfully he got caught by the nuts, he is worse than bush, him and wolfowitz are like bussiness partners.

I think Mary Harney is doing a very good job, she is taking on the consultants which is the HSEs main stigma at the moment. It's so easy to bad mouth a health minister, but that guy what's his name...... was minister for juctice then taniste, well he turned me off the PDs big time. Labour are 100% spoof, entering a pre-election pact with FG proved that.

In a wonderland my political party would be the following:

Pro 32 county
    Pro europe
    Disband the HSE and start again.
    Arm the Gardaí (can't hide behind the criminals will fight fire with fire excuse any more)
    Irish would be mandatory for irish students
    As would a 3rd language except in speacil cases (you may have pick up that im dislexic already)
    Tax unhealthy foods heavily
    Tax relief on fruit, vegtables etc
    1 year in Defense forces for every male that doesn't further there education after Junior/leaving cert
    Anti social crime punished severly (1 strike your out policy)
    Imediate formation of Enviromental action commitee
    America can use shannon only for wars that have a UN mandate (ie not iraq)
    Nurses treated better
    Less money for GAA
    More money for other sports
    Immigrants that commite a serios crime are extradited
    CAO system abolished, replaced by comprehensive aptitude tests
    Air Lingus bought back by government as national carrier
    Consider regulation of recreation drugs
    Night clubs not allowed to advertise anywhere and taxed heavily and have an obligation for clean up of city plus fund AE drink related injuries
    Trouble hot spots in ireland tackled by garda snatch squads
    Dole harder to get
    No college fees, postgrads etc also paid for by state
    Medical Students trained in Ireland have obligation to work for state for 5 years at least incentives given to keep world class consultants in ireland (the best of them want facilites more than money, we just have a bad bunch at the mom)

Critises what you will, constuctively!

I couldn't be bothered checking my spelling

Advertisement