Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat is Crap. Discuss

Options
  • 24-11-2007 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Just saw Russell Brand on the Late Late and now he's on Jonathon Ross. He was plugging his book on each.

There aren't many opportunities to conduct a direct compare and contrast session with a late late guest being on another channel an hour later so I'll make hay while the sun shines.

If ever there was a doubt about Pat Kenny's unsuitability for light entertainment this was the proof. Pat wanted a "prime time" meets "six one" meets "a prayer at bedtime" forensic examination of his drug habit, sex addiction etc. and seemed put out that Brand tried to lower the tone. I wanted to do heroin by the end to numb the pain.

Jonathon Ross's interview did what it sad on the tin by briefly helping me forget my own sad life watching the late late whilst simulatneously being on the internet on a Friday night.

I can only presume Pat is on a retainer from the VFI for helping encourage people hit the pubs of a Friday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,830 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Do we need another 'Pat Is Crap' discussion? It's a bit of a no-brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I watched Boyzone and promptly switched off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

It was pretty funny though, he was not able for Russel Brand at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,830 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To be honest, Pat's average guest is more intelligent, more confident and more aware than he is.

Russell Brand was just too much for him. Pat's brain can't seem to handle anything other than yes / no answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Wish they got new people to interview atleast..they've already has Jordan and Tommy Tiernan on several times before..*yawn*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

milmo wrote: »
    Just saw Russell Brand on the Late Late and now he's on Jonathon Ross. He was plugging his book on each
    Presumably Ross is pre recorded as Brand was on his way to the Olympiá?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 copasetic

was half watching then brand interview in the pub & even though I couldn't hear the conversation, you just got the feeling that pat had never heard of russell, never heard his radio show (which isone of the funniest podcasts out there) or seen his act (poor). is he lazy, are the reaserchers just drawing a wage or are RTE just so out of touch it is comical in its own right. I dont want to even start on the planks usual trick of trying to make a guest cry on camera - asking harrington if he thought his dad was watching him winning the Open- cheap shot. tommy was tommy, doing a free 10 min piece of his show for promotion, as if he needed to sell seats at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Question: Do people bash Kenny because they genuinely dislike him or because it's the fashionable thing to do?

There does seem to be a culture here on boards where people follow a trend repeatedly with no real reason for themselves to say it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Answer: Because he's an absolute plank.

This isn't a case of the Emperor's New Clothes, everybody can see that he's a personality black-hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

dulpit wrote: »
    Question: Do people bash Kenny because they genuinely dislike him or because it's the fashionable thing to do?
    In fairness, he's good with the political/current affairs type-stuff.

But he's no 'Mr.Saturday Night'. RTE shoe-horned him into this position as they didn't bring-up any younger talent to replace Gay Byrne.

But the vast sums of money paid to him, Tubridy and Duffy are a joke. Most of that lot would just about make it as weathermen on a UK regional TV channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

In fairness though, an interview with Jonothan Ross is always going to look more comfortable because they're mates and work together.

It was very strange at the end when Pat was holding his arm though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

milmo wrote: »
    Just saw Russell Brand on the Late Late and now he's on Jonathon Ross. He was plugging his book on each.

There aren't many opportunities to conduct a direct compare and contrast session with a late late guest being on another channel an hour later so I'll make hay while the sun shines.

If ever there was a doubt about Pat Kenny's unsuitability for light entertainment this was the proof. Pat wanted a "prime time" meets "six one" meets "a prayer at bedtime" forensic examination of his drug habit, sex addiction etc. and seemed put out that Brand tried to lower the tone. I wanted to do heroin by the end to numb the pain.

Jonathon Ross's interview did what it sad on the tin by briefly helping me forget my own sad life watching the late late whilst simulatneously being on the internet on a Friday night.

I can only presume Pat is on a retainer from the VFI for helping encourage people hit the pubs of a Friday!

I think it's when interviewing people like Russell Brand that Pat's limitations are exposed and you begin to understand all the "wooden" and "plank" accusations thrown at him. He didn't seem to have a clue how to interview Brand or what to ask him. The whole thing was hilariously stilted and felt a bit awkward.

Brand was there for a laugh and a bit of light relief but Pat interviewed him like he was the Minister for Finance on budget day.

Not a knock on Pat as he does curent affairs really well but he just seems so uncomfortbale with the light stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

im going to stand up for pat here , i watched both interviews with russell brand last night on both the late late and johnathan ross and while pat looked extremly uncomfortable , even johnathan ross is made look like a stuffed shirt when russell brand is on , johnathan ross is a loose fun guy but he always stops short of stepping over the edge of zanniness into insanity

russell brand while hilarious in parts is a complete headcase and will make anyone look wooden so perhaps we should give pat a break

even tommy tiernan came across as relativly normal after brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

basquille wrote: »
    Russell Brand was just too much for him. Pat's brain can't seem to handle anything other than yes / no answers.

To be fair, Russell Brand is a bit hard for anyone to handle! Conducting an interview with him is like herding cats! He just doesn't follow the conventional style of "conversation" :D His last (before this weekend) appearance on Jonathon Ross was great, but Russell is nuts! lol. Funny though.

Watching JR now actually, so will see Russell shortly...
    Not a knock on Pat as he does curent affairs really well but he just seems so uncomfortbale with the light stuff.

True, it's like hearin your da singing along to the latest hits on the radio....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The likes of Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy have major position at RTE not because they're talented, good looking or charming. They're there because they have neck and are related to people in powerful positions at the station.

Pat Kenny is a newsreader. He shouldn't be in a presenting or interviewing position. This is a mistake RTE make again and again. Look at how they're trying to shoehorn Grainne Sheoige into a similar role.

They're also pushing the comedians of the Panel into larger roles than they're really capable of handling. They all started well but are beginning to suffer from overexposure, and the crucial anchor that was Dara O'Brien is getting little airtime so the show is beginning to get increasingly childish.

And that's the main crux of the issue. RTE can't afford to hang onto any real talent because anybody who's actually good enough to make a success of themselves is going to jump ship to UK television. Look at the money Graham Norton raked in at Channel 4 or the BBC. He'd be mad to waste any time and effort on RTE. Ditto Dara O'Brien.

Irish Radio is in the same mess. They spend entire afternoons eulogising George Best or Charlie Haughey and wonder why their audience is mainly made up of 50somethings who only make up 12% of Irelands population. And then they wonder why the ratings are dropping.

If they wanted a good, realtively cheap and conventional new host for The Late Late, they should get Marian Finucane or maybe even Dave Fanning who's proved to be an excellent interviewer in the past on the movie show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Who's Pat Kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Did anyone else think Tommy Tiernan was brutal. That joke about the female suicide bomber was, bad taste aside, just not a bit funny.

Pat laughing like a drain everytime he opened his mouth of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

cashback wrote: »
    Did anyone else think Tommy Tiernan was brutal. That joke about the female suicide bomber was, bad taste aside, just not a bit funny.

Pat laughing like a drain everytime he opened his mouth of course.

Tiernan is the most over rated piece of shít in Irish entertainment. In fact I'd rather watch Pat Kenny do stand-up for an hour. At least I could laugh at him if I didn't manage to laugh with him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

I was wondering if perhaps Justine Delaney-Wilson should have been interviewing Tommy Tiernan, rather then PK??!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

The likes of Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy have major position at RTE not because they're talented, good looking or charming. They're there because they have neck and are related to people in powerful positions at the station.

Pat Kenny is a newsreader. He shouldn't be in a presenting or interviewing position. This is a mistake RTE make again and again. Look at how they're trying to shoehorn Grainne Sheoige into a similar role.

They're also pushing the comedians of the Panel into larger roles than they're really capable of handling. They all started well but are beginning to suffer from overexposure, and the crucial anchor that was Dara O'Brien is getting little airtime so the show is beginning to get increasingly childish.

And that's the main crux of the issue. RTE can't afford to hang onto any real talent because anybody who's actually good enough to make a success of themselves is going to jump ship to UK television. Look at the money Graham Norton raked in at Channel 4 or the BBC. He'd be mad to waste any time and effort on RTE. Ditto Dara O'Brien.

Irish Radio is in the same mess. They spend entire afternoons eulogising George Best or Charlie Haughey and wonder why their audience is mainly made up of 50somethings who only make up 12% of Irelands population. And then they wonder why the ratings are dropping.

If they wanted a good, realtively cheap and conventional new host for The Late Late, they should get Marian Finucane or maybe even Dave Fanning who's proved to be an excellent interviewer in the past on the movie show.

unless lucifer himself is in charge at montrose , i doubt there is anyone evil enough to inflict marian finucane upon the nation at 9.30 pm friday evenings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

That's not only true of RTE, it's truer again of the small cliquè that is Irish media (especially print) and even truer again of Ireland as a whole. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Welcome to Ireland, regular flights to the UK and US are now available cheaply.
    Neither are cheap and both are way past their sell-by date, although credit to MF where it's due as she's rejuvenated two usually dead-weekend Radio slots.

Anyone worth their salt in media in this country fecks off to the UK PDQ. You can trace it right up from Wogan through to the two Grahams - Linehan and Norton.

Even Gaybo himself failed the auditions for the first series of the Late Late Show and went to work for Granada in Manchester for a couple of years in the 60's. In his autobiography he says that the reason he failed the first time around in hosting the Late-Late was because management at RTE said that he "was too good". Says it all about RTE really.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

So who are tubridy and kenny related to exactly?

copacetic wrote: »
    So who are tubridy and kenny related to exactly?

I think they were both born of the same acorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

RTE's only decent programme is "Reeling In The Years", and that's made up of constant repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Bring Back Bibi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i quite enjoyed the russell brand interview, it was a clash of cultures...essentric englishman meets conservative irishman.

cut pat some slack will ya,

personally i think they should simply call it the pat kenny show, cause the late late belongs to gaybo and people keep comparing the current show with old one which was made in a completely different era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I didn't know Pat had a relative in RTE...His dad was a zoo keeper so maybe he was good friends with bosco !

Now Gerry "5 chins" Ryan was best pals with charlie haugheys sons and just happened to get a job in the state broadcaster....but i'm sure that was just coincidence !

philstar wrote: »
    personally i think they should simply call it the pat kenny show .

I'd still prefer "Knowing Me Knowing You with Pat Kenny"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone worth their salt in media in this country fecks off to the UK PDQ. You can trace it right up from Wogan through to the two Grahams - Linehan and Norton.

Eamon Andrews got there first. :)

Kenny is Current Affairs 100%, he's only doing the LLS at this point cos RTE dare not let the brand whither and die (or jump ship to TV3/TnG) and its a nice little earner. Its a pity cos on the radio he is for the most part very capable. Dara for the LLS? Could RTE afford him ;)

Mike.

Advertisement