Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low white blood cell count

Options
  • 23-11-2007 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Could someone please explain to me in simple terms what this is and how is it caused?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

White blood cells are a heterogeneous group of cells primarily involved in immune function. A WBC count simply counts the number of these cells per volume of whole blood.

A low count may simply mean the person is on the low side of the WBC count spectrum - i.e. lower than most peoples' but still entirely normal. In rare cases, some illnesses or conditions may cause it by systematically destroying WBCs or preventing their mobilization from bone marrow. In cases like that, a person would have most likely been diagnosed or hospitalized long before they knew they had a low WBC count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hello_kitty

Thanks for that 2Scoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I have it to would it be something is have to tell my rumathoid doctor.i dont know what's relievnt and what's not and feel like a thick telling every ace or pain??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yes, tell your rheumatoid doctor. Meds used in treatment of that condition can lower your cell count.

Always tell your doc everything. Your not going to sound like a thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

zombie thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement