Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambulance's for Fatties ( Not my words )

Options
  • 23-11-2007 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/search/display.var.1845403.0.new_ambulances_for_fatties.php

New ambulances for fatties
    By Gazette Reporter

Ambulances designed to carry patients weighing up to 55 stone are to be taken on by an ambulance service.

The three vehicles are part of a £4m investment by Great Western Ambulance Trust which covers the Avon, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire area.

The trust investigated claims in June that crews made fun of an overweight woman from Gloucester before she died.

The super-ambulances, which cost about £100,000 each, have a greater capacity and special hydraulic hoists.

They also have firmer suspension and a larger stretcher.

A spokeswoman for the authority said they were due to be delivered in June.

The larger ambulances will be among a new fleet of 30 vehicles.

The current fleet can cope with people up to 30 stone (190kg) in weight, but the trust said its paramedics were having to cope with increasingly heavier patients.

In June, Great Western Ambulance Trust investigated allegations by a Gloucester man that ambulance staff made fun of his wife before she died.

John Teague said crews spent two hours deliberating how to move his wife Sandra, who weighed 17st 7lb (111kg) and had suffered a heart attack at her home in Podsmead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

long overdue...

****en hell though... 55stone... i dont how how people can let themselves get like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

long overdue...

****en hell though... 55stone... i dont how how people can let themselves get like that.

Remember seeing a prog about it before and a dude was due to go to hospital for an Op but was so big and wide he couldnt get out of his house so they broke down one side of his house and used a forklift to get him out!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How do they get to the state where they're so fat they can't move but still manage to eat enough to get fatter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

long overdue...

They get like that because they have a common problem we all have but most of us overcome the "Two hands and only one mouth problem"

ScumLord wrote: »
    How do they get to the state where they're so fat they can't move but still manage to eat enough to get fatter!

Simple they are lazy. Get to the Gym fatties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I dunno about the rest of ye but I'd consider that one hell of a waste of my tax money.

Obesity is completely self-inflicted. Smokers pay for the extra burden they place on the health service to the point that we subsidise non-smokers. Why should normal people subsidise these slobs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sleepy wrote: »
    I dunno about the rest of ye but I'd consider that one hell of a waste of my tax money.

Obesity is completely self-inflicted. Smokers pay for the extra burden they place on the health service to the point that we subsidise non-smokers. Why should normal people subsidise these slobs?
    Congratulations on the stupidest post on boards to date.

I totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Sleepy, i generally read your posts and think, god what a smart guy. But come on, there a a number of medical illnesses that can lead to obesity. Hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome and growth hormone deficiency being some of them.

Yes some people can be over weight due to life style, but not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

They should tie giant helium balloons to them to counterbalance the weight. I'm sure that would work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Archeron

I honestly hope you never have to experience the reality of the incorrectness of what you just said, because it is fooking living misery and affects a surprising amount of people.
    Not every fatty muches burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Sleepy's right...obesity is self-inflicted and is costing us, the tax-payers, money. If they're so obese they need special ambulances then they obviously haven't been doing any work or contributing to society in any meaningful way for years. Sure there can be medical conditions that contribute to weight gain, but if that's the case the person will usually be under medical supervision and their diet will be modified and their weight controlled (a bit) by drugs.

Fatties should be starved until they can walk to hospital. This will have a number of beneficial results (apart from making the fatty healthier and saving money on special ambulances). Their daily food mountain can be donated to good causes such as starving refugees in a war zone. Actually scrap that...their food will be such garbage it can just be put on the compost heap and used for fertiliser (also a very worthy and green end for it). Their food hauling slave (spouse or other poor unfortunate captive family member) will be free to see day-light and rejoin society. This will mean an end to disability allowance or job-seekers allowance for the former fatty and an end to the carers' allowance for the food haulage slave. It's a win/win situation. :D

EamonnKeane, the fatty's own flatulence (due to being full of putrid rotting crap) will probably be enough to fill the balloons! ;)

Archeron wrote: »
    Not every fatty muches burgers.

No, but assuming there's nothing medical causing weight gain, then you're not likely to get fat munching on cabbage and sweetcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sure, it's possible to be overweight due to a medical condition. There are many medical reasons why someone is more susceptible to carrying extra body fat but that just makes it harder to maintain a healthy weight, not impossible.

I'm open to correction from a scientific report but I'm pretty sure there's no medical condition that would lead to someone weighing over 20 stone, never mind 30 (which is the current max weight)!

dame wrote: »
    No, but assuming there's nothing medical causing weight gain, then you're not likely to get fat munching on cabbage and sweetcorn.

No, but when it is something medical which is surprisingly common, then the embarrassment of being barely able to move on your own, and having to be a woman lifted by 4 strong men is heartbreaking. The situation and circumstances around this and the whole hospital experience can be devastating to the person and their family.

A lot of the people who feature in these "big fat ****er" newsthreads are suffering from serious illness that have caused this to happen.
    While I will mock the needlessly tubby as well as the next man, please understand that in many times the circumstances you are mocking on the basis of cheap nasty news reports are suffering from the very illness' that you proclaim to exclude.

Read into what happens with the families and friends of people who die in these most undignified of circumstances and perhaps you will be less likely to toss around schoolyard names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

yeh, thank god for the hydralic lifts in ireland!! this is an on going problem, the hse have units that can carry heavier patients at their disposal,they are generally used for normal transport but the odd time for a n obese person!! i reckon we will have to airlift em soon!! leave em hanging out!1:D

in america somewhere, i remember reading a few years ago about a set of ambulances purchased witha winch on the back of them!! This was starange at the time, but we have them here now!!http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-03-31-obesity-ambulance_x.htm

irelands own: http://www.flickr.com/photos/medic112/138229404/

timmywex wrote: »
    yeh, thank god for the hydralic lifts in ireland!! this is an on going problem, the hse have units that can carry heavier patients at their disposal,they are generally used for normal transport but the odd time for a n obese person!! i reckon we will have to airlift em soon!! leave em hanging out!1:D

in america somewhere, i remember reading a few years ago about a set of ambulances purchased witha winch on the back of them!!

I love after hours, i truly do.
    If you ever have to see your own mum be treated as piece of luggage because of an incurable illess, I hope you can smile at that comment.
    For me, my life and the lives of everyone in my family have been affected her illness. Were it not for ambulances that can do this, we would in the future be royally ****ed.
    New designs of ambulance are not taken at a whim and many people using them are suffering serious illness.
    **** you to all the tubby ****es, but **** you to anyone who would deny my mum the medical attention she deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

long overdue...

Let themselves get like that? People don't just let themselves get like that, that takes a lot of determination. Sure, you could just look at a 40st woman and think "Good christ someone's illegally parked on the pavement", but you don't see the sweat and tears behind it, the hours of dedication spent inside instead of going out and having fun with friends.

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

What I'm talking about is an illness whereby your body no longer pis*es out fluid, and its all retained in your body. I know a lady who eats app 1000 cal a day and who due too bad systems (kidney and liver) has over 9 stone of waste liquid in her body. She is huge, and disabled because of it. The liquid has at times been so hard pressed that it expels itself through the skin on her hands and cheeks.

We don't all know as much as we think we do.

• Advertisement

What I'm talking about is an illness whereby your body no longer pis*es out fluid, and its all retained in your body. I know a lady who eats app 1000 cal a day and who due too bad systems (kidney and liver) has over 9 stone of waste liquid in her body. She is huge, and disabled because of it. The liquid has at times been so hard pressed that it expels itself through the skin on her hands and cheeks.

We don't all know as much as we think we do.

:eek: Can something medical not be done about that???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

A pin, perhaps?

Sadly not. But I apologise for making an AH thread depressing. :rolleyes:

Death to fatties!!!! :D:D:D

(mmm, time for a curry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Death to fatties!!!! :D:D:D

(mmm, time for a curry)

I hope those two comments aren't related! :eek:

Sadly not. But I apologise for making an AH thread depressing. :rolleyes:

I've made After Hours a bit depressing for people too....look at the Bulgaria's Forgotten Children thread.

I hope those two comments aren't related! :eek:

Class!:D.
    But in answer, no, there will be no fava beans here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Jules80 wrote: »
    Sleepy, i generally read your posts and think, god what a smart guy. But come on, there a a number of medical illnesses that can lead to obesity. Hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome
    and chronic bigfatlumpofuselessobesity is common also.

They should put on a forced budget they'll go hungry the first week but will understand spacing out meals by the first week. Then you gradually reduce they're budget till they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It can be a medical problem but it rarely is, the biggest majorities problem is, the hole food goes in is bigger than the hole food goes out.

Senna wrote: »
    It can be a medical problem but it rarely is, the biggest majorities problem is, the hole food goes in is bigger than the hole food goes out.

Yes, but its a bad thing to presume.
    Something we Irish are skilled at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Stop driving your kids to school and send them outside and away from their playstation.

Advertisement