Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrooms

Options
  • 23-11-2007 8:26pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well I got my tickets and im off to see shrooms tonight. Looking at KHs thread on Irish films there people seem to think the trailer looked OK as did I. I did hear one person say it was rubbish but ill chance it anyway. Ill post up my opinions on it soon. Has any one else seen it or is going to go see it. I feel no matter how bad it is that I have an obligation to support irish movies and at that Irish horror movies even more.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well I saw the film friday night and I have to say going in with such low expectatinos I was pleasently suprised. I thought it was very good. Though set in Ireland it could have really been set any where as there was very little of a feel of Ireland in it apart from the weather, witch let to quite a few continuity errors. One second its raining and next the sun is splitting the trees. I felt sorry for the director having to work with that summer we just had.
    Well the film does follow the forumlaic 3 couples go camping in the woods, some one tells a scary story and it starts to happen. This could have been set in any country really apart from the shrooms with let to some very comedic moments. Its worth a watch just to see that cow. The adition of drug induced halusiations was the only novelty in this flick, witch borrowed heavily from some of the Japaneese greats in its use of imagary.
    So while its no Ringu perhaps its Irelands answer to it. The reaction of the cinema audience was also note worthy, the comedy really lifted the whole cinema, and the horror secens really promted a lot of verbal outbursts. I think perhaps cause it was set in Ireland that it was upsetting some people. 2 couples walked out half way though after some horrific deaths, witch has to be a good thing in my book. About 75% of the cinema audience was female and they seemed well freaked out.
    One for the cimema id say, just to hear all them wemon scream. 7 outa 10 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Your view is very interesting spooky and I'd agree with it. I assume you are just a horror movie fan as opposed to some wannabe filmmaker.

On another forum, Filmmakers are going nuts about how crap it was. In my opinion as both a punter and filmmaker, I say fair do's to Paddy B for getting it made. Its not brilliant, but its standard horror fodder that I like to see more of in terms of Irish filmmaking. At the very least it attempted to be original in its concept unlike, Boy eats girl, Isolation and Deadmeat.

It shouldn't be too long before an Irish horror feature arrives on the scene and breaks completely new ground.

Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

DerekP11 wrote: »
    Deadmeat
    Best Irish horror movie ever.

For all the wrong reasons of course :p

yes i just a movie fan and not a film maker. Had I been a film maker im sure I would have found a lot more flaws that I did. Still it was nice to see a somthing decent come out of Ireland and heres to more. Wink Wink, nudge nudge Derek!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Watched it last night and its not the worst film ever made but neither the best.

I would give it a 5 maybe a 6 out of 10.

If you dont like these types of film I reckopn you will hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Saw this Friday and must say I didnt hate it which is a surprise for me.
    It was predictible as fcuk but it had a bit of style about it.
    Wont do much for the irish image though.
    5.5/10

yes one guys I know said it made the Irish look stupid. But I thought it just made hicks that live in the woods look stupid. It sure is a film that will suprise, better than expected are the key words here I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

just saw this the othe night. it was one of those 'so bad it's nearly quite good' movies. Loved the cameos by McGinley and Wycherly. Especially the bit where Wycherly talks about the tongue of a calf being like sandpaper :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Have you all just seen this in the cinema recently ??

It was out in November when I made my first post. Im sure it must be on Video by now. Ive noticed there has been a lack of horror films of late but I notice there are a few ones on the horrizon. Bring em on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement