Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers warned "A Blog is for life" - What do you think?

Options
  • 23-11-2007 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single9698

"A staggering 4.5 million young people would not like a prospective employer or university to see their online profiles without getting a chance to get rid of some of the dodgy content first, according to a survey carried out by the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)."

Makes sense really. Anything you regret posting online? Air out your closeted ghosts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Im A Hotmail

Seeing as my facebook is full of comments and remarks degrading women and pictures of me pissed drunk.. yea, i'd probably want to change a few things before sending a friend invitation to my new boss.

Proxy wrote: »

"A staggering 4.5 million young people would not like a prospective employer or university to see their online profiles without getting a chance to get rid of some of the dodgy content first, according to a survey carried out by the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)."

Makes sense really. Anything you regret posting online? Air out your closeted ghosts?

You can say the exact same for here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You can say the exact same for here though.

Do you have 'bonearsebogman' on your CV??

Facebook and Bebo rely on people using their real identies.

No one knows anyone here...

<_<

>_>

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Do you have 'bonearsebogman' on your CV??

Facebook and Bebo rely on people using their real identies.

No one knows anyone here...

<_<

>_>

If you notice, I have a link to my bebo on my sig, thus bringing you to my picture and my name. And so do a lot of people on here.

It's not hard to figure out who a person is based on what they are saying on a particular subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I've never really done anything incriminating to be honest so I couldn't give a hoot if they looked or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I have two bebos. One is my normal one that I use all the time, it's set to private and the name on it is just a nickname. I also have a second one thats got a few boring photos and that sort of impersonal crap, this profile is set to public, has my full name on it so if a prostective employer searched my name this one is the one that'd come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

Do employers really do this though???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

my bebo, MSN, Myspace and whatever else I'm on are all under pseudonyms that my friends know

I don't have "Phasers" "Beakerpeople" or "Barbarella: queen of the universe" on my CV so I think I'm ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Proxy wrote: »

I'm very careful about what I reveal on Boards, and my Bebo only shows my first name shortened, and the first letter of my surname so nobody would be able to locate me. Plus my profile is private. I wouldn't mind a perspective employer viewing my Bebo as it's mostly photos of my children.
    Mind you, I'm 37 so I'm a lot wiser (well, a little) than I was as a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

halfinch wrote: »
    Damn right they do. There was a thread on the Work & Jobs board a while back where a poster described an interview (Dublin based financial job I think) where the interviewer opened with something along the lines of 'based on your Bebo...'. There are a lot of people working in IT areas on Boards so I reckon a lot of us have been looked up by prospective employers/managers. Also, some large companies outsource background checks to third party companies so you'd never know what they might have built into their checks.

Just from browsing boards I've had situations where I've figured out from peoples supposedly anonymous postings what companies and people they were talking about. People often give away far more than they really should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

halfinch wrote: »

There have been several cases of people being fired because of their personal blogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would imagine that there's some flexibility on it. Any employer who wouldn't interview someone based on a picture posted on their bebo page when they were 14, is an idiot. People change, a lot and often. I think very differently now to how I would have thought when I first joined boards and my posting would reflect that. Anyone who would take my first three years' postings as an accurate reflection of my personality would be be making a poor call.

The same goes for beboers, bloggers, facebookers, etc etc.

Advertisement