Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options
  • 23-11-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

How do people feel about online dating?

Am the only single one of me group, don't resemble a mutant and am quite chatty. Another friend suggested giving the auld internet dating a go. I'm only 26 and was wondering if this is the modern way to hook up?

Just wondering if any ladies/ or gentlemen have any experiences of it and would care to share.

I guess that my underlying feeling is that I think that I'm putting myself out there as being desperate to meet someone?? Do guys have that opinion or is it all seen as a bit of craic?

Any replies welcomed!!

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

a/s/l :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I used to think of it as a bad thing but upon more considered thinking(I have never tried it by the by) I dont see it as any different than going out with the express intention of finding someone to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I would say its perfectly ok, the only reason I'd avoid it is because of fake pictures and general possibility of the person being totally different when you meet them. Its a far better system than classic personals though and I don't get why its got such a social stigma, but I think thats dying away.

I look at it as an online woman shop! Hmm, she seems good, I'll take her!:D

Actually I'll edit to add that by e mailing back and forth before meeting you probably would have a good idea what the person is like before meeting them, as opposed to just calling her and meeting up blindly going on looks alone (yes i see the irony of that statement)

I say go for it. If all else fails I'm sure you can find a man on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Adagiodiva wrote: »
    How do people feel about online dating?

Am the only single one of me group, don't resemble a mutant and am quite chatty. Another friend suggested giving the auld internet dating a go. I'm only 26 and was wondering if this is the modern way to hook up?

Just wondering if any ladies/ or gentlemen have any experiences of it and would care to share.

I guess that my underlying feeling is that I think that I'm putting myself out there as being desperate to meet someone?? Do guys have that opinion or is it all seen as a bit of craic?

Any replies welcomed!!

S

Boardsies dating requirements:

[x] don't resemble a mutant
    [x] quite chatty

Expect 400 PM's in the coming minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Probably the most efficient way to meet someone, i.e. goal is obvious from the outset, no misunderstandings in intentions.

But maybe its a little impersonal and disconnected. Its important (I think), to be able to have actual conversation and exchange of looks/expression, even at the very early stages. Plus, by the time you meet someone, you may know everything there is to know about them, and conversation could be a little stunted.

Im not speaking from experience here (im in a long term relationship), but merely what strikes me about the idea of online dating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'll go on a date with you if you vote me most lickable ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

pm sent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Have done it plenty of times. It's all down to personal preference really. For example I have no time for the usual chatting up, "can-I-buy-you-a-drink-while-you-pretend-to-ignore-me" craparoma that is the irish dating scene. So I have no issue with using the internet to meet ladies, it's a great way to filter the muppets :p

That said, many people are afraid of giving out personal info online, apparently every time you give someone your e-mail or mobile number Satan devours a little part of your soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think if you measured a countries population relative to amount of people looking for their hole on the internet Ireland would come out on top. Does anotherfriend really have 200,000 members? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt etc etc

Does it matter how many members are on anotherfriend ? Have you seen the videos ?? Great way to pass the working day, I find !.

Deffo exchange emails for a while before phone numbers. You can learn a lot by correspondence!. Also by giving out your number on day 1, chances are high you'll get a phone call that evening and on speaking for a few minutes you'll know where you stand i.e. still single !. At least with the emails you can live the dream for a bit longer, if thats what you want.

There are irish sites also like themeetingpoint (related to the Herald) - these tend to be a lot tamer than another friend.

On the other hand, I've met two really nice guys (ok one was married and has now moved away and the other was living with a girl but ain't anymore :) ). I've known both of these for almost eight years now and I can definitely call them friends, if that's what you want.

But if you're only 26 - bit young to resort to the internet isn't it ? Call it window shopping !

G'luck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I've done it. Met some great people that way. I find the trick is to be specific and not too vague and you'll actually meet some interesting people on the same wavelength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

A friend of mine took the plunge a few months ago and met a really nice guy, they're still dating and seem to like eachother (though she won't admit it to most people that ask how they've met) so why not. He's a normal bloke, they get on well, I think he's very good for her actually. I don't see the harm in it...I mean meeting drunk people in a club isn't always the best option and some people don't get to meet many people through work etc....so why not, as long as you're careful then go for it and have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Im A Hotmail

Can i be brutally honest and say..

When you by-pass the hookers and fake accounts you'll find internet dating is mostly shy ugly people. Sure there's some talent out there, but no where near the number of uglys.

Slate me if you will, just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

I met my fiance through an online dating site.
    We just bought a house and are getting married in January. :p

I did meet some jerks in the beginning, but sure that happens when you are out and about too.

Give it a go. Sure why not. No harm in it.

Good Luck!

When you by-pass the hookers and fake accounts you'll find internet dating is mostly shy ugly people. Sure there's some talent out there, but no where near the number of uglys.

True. But there's some real good ones in there too, judging on the guy my friend met, he's handsome, funny, good job, very kind to her....he was just sick of the same old trying to meet someone in a club routine. They're only in their twenties too and weren't desperate, just wanted to try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

very true.
    But it's also true that a hottie doesn't need to create an account on a website to find a guy...
    a miniskirt instead will do. :rolleyes:

IMHO, when it is about the dating online, there are more chances for a girl to find a good looking guy than the other way around..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Blackpitts wrote: »
    very true.
    But it's also true that a hottie doesn't need to create an account on a website to find a guy...
    a miniskirt instead will do. :rolleyes:

IMHO, when it is about the dating online, there are more chances for a girl to find a good looking guy than the other way around..

T'would seem that way eh but from my experience of the way of the world women who dress prvocatively get a lot of attention but not always attention in way that would make it likely they would seek to start a relationship with said attentive male.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I think if you measured a countries population relative to amount of people looking for their hole on the internet Ireland would come out on top. Does anotherfriend really have 200,000 members? :eek:

and is there any younger than 30yo??? :confused:

Rob_l wrote: »
    T'would seem that way eh but from my experience of the way of the world women who dress prvocatively get a lot of attention but not always attention in way that would make it likely they would seek to start a relationship with said attentive male.

ok, but my point is that there are more good loking guys on the websites than girls.

Blackpitts wrote: »
    ok, but my point is that there are more good loking guys on the websites than girls.

Complete opposite from what I've seen...

• Advertisement

MayMay wrote: »
    Complete opposite from what I've seen...

perhaps it depends on the site...some (like okcupid) have few users, anotherfriend seems to be more for people older than 30yo..

Advertisement