Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

closing of uuj canteens

Options
  • 23-11-2007 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

bentra and antrim dinner are closing down in the university of ulster jordanstown, to be replaced by retail outlets such as e.g. subway, wat is your opinion on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i not sure of my opinion on this so i want to hear yours so that it will help me make up my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I don't have an opinion. Perhaps, you don't need one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I have no opinion either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ibid, europerson, if you don't have anything to contribute then don't post. Regob, if you are going to start a new thread then try to give your opinion or your thoughts on the topic or even link to a story about it. I'm going to leave this open for now. Don't make me regret this people.

ill tell you the story it was recently announced that jordanstown is to close its two main canteens antrim diner and bentra sandwich bar to be replaced by fast food outlets e.g subway, the reason im asking this is because their is an ongoing debate throuhout campus saying whether this is a good thing are a bad thing and i just wanted to find out your opinions so that it would help me decide on my own opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

regob wrote: »
    ill tell you the story it was recently announced that jordanstown is to close its two main canteens antrim diner and bentra sandwich bar to be replaced by fast food outlets e.g subway, the reason im asking this is because their is an ongoing debate throuhout campus saying whether this is a good thing are a bad thing and i just wanted to find out your opinions so that it would help me decide on my own opinion
    Try the food in the new places. Only then will you be able to make your mind up. You're an adult now and should be able to form an opinion without any input here. As AC said, when starting a thread, try to at least give an opinion on the subject matter.

AC, do you want to lock this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

smashey wrote: »
    Try the food in the new places. Only then will you be able to make your mind up. You're an adult now and should be able to form an opinion without any input here. As AC said, when starting a thread, try to at least give an opinion on the subject matter.

Don't take this up the wrong way Regob, it was advice. When reading a new thread I (along with other people) like to see what the original poster thinks about it or read a news story about it as it adds some content to the thread and helps us form an opinion about it.
    smashey wrote: »
    AC, do you want to lock this?

I was thinking about locking it because those two replies didn't contribute one iota to the topic and it looked like this thread was going no where. I decided to leave it open though because I was hoping it would stimulate some discussion about the subject at hand. If I see any more comments like the ones above though I will lock it.

Subways are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Intifadah

Definately a subway?

Subway rawks

i do agree i should be able to make up my opinion but there is pros and cons to every situation, im one of the youngest people in uuj at the moment i turned 17 july past, i think its a good thing to close them because i personally love subway but i also think its a bad thing to close them because more than likely the people who are working there at the moment will more than likely be sacked, i understand were your coming from AC and smashey, but im stuck.

• Advertisement

i do agree i should be able to make up my opinion but there is pros and cons to every situation, im one of the youngest people in uuj at the moment i turned 17 july past, i think its a good thing to close them because i personally love subway but i also think its a bad thing to close them because more than likely the people who are working there at the moment will more than likely be sacked, i understand were your coming from AC and smashey, but im stuck.

You're not stuck, you've just given us your opinion right there.

ahh i get ya now

the people who are working there at the moment will more than likely be sacked
    So? Subway will hire new people.

You clearly haven't eaten enough Subways.

i love subways and i no subway will hire new people, but the people who were working here a good part of there lives and i think its sad ther going to lose their jobs

Yeah but on the other hand compassion is for the weak.

Subways in Northern Ireland are the best Subways in the entire world, I'd say.

What's the actual reason for the replacing of the canteens? Would Subway simply be more profitable for the college?

The one potential problem I'd see is that in a 'normal' canteen you could just chill with some friends, but in a 'retail' canteen Subway could tell you where to go.

Myth wrote: »
    What's the actual reason for the replacing of the canteens? Would Subway simply be more profitable for the college?

The one potential problem I'd see is that in a 'normal' canteen you could just chill with some friends, but in a 'retail' canteen Subway could tell you where to go.

im not quite sure of the reason but i hope thats not wats goin to happen

I want to know the exact reason for Subway.

all i heard was that subway was going to be put in there in its place i dont no why subway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It could very well be that a condition of subway/other eateries taking over is that they take on the old staff where possible. That is very common in the case of takeovers etc and as it's a uni rather than a business per se they might be even more keen to ensure the employees are not displaced.

I'd say it's a good thing, though the range of food might decrease considerably. I've never eaten at UUJ but I know at UUM they do some good hot stuff aswell as quicker food like sarnies. Has anything been said about who, other than Subway, might be coming in?

• Advertisement

it is the general word around campus that subway will be taking over, and that the staff will be losing there jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Intifadah

I have never eaten in them canteens, I usually get a Belfast Bap in the city centre then just grab soup or a sandwich in jtown for lunch, feel cat for the staff there like, but a subway will be a good addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

it is the general word around campus that subway will be taking over, and that the staff will be losing there jobs

LOL 'the word' is usually spread by students who in this case would most likely know precisely zero about the situation unless they/their family members are directly employed by the current eateries.

If you are genuinely concerned about it, ask for confirmation from catering of what's going to happen and if it is a case of Subway coming in and everyone losing their jobs then you have plenty of time to get involved with the Union in mounting a petition, don't you?

Advertisement