Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24-11-07 Fundraising event in Dublin for an organisation helping children Zambia

Options
  • 23-11-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

My cousin recently spent 6 months volunteering in Zambia working with an organisation called ‘Bare Feet’ some information here. She has organised a fundraising event for tomorrow (Saturday) at 4pm on the Ha’penny Bridge to try and raise both awareness and some funds for this organisation. Hopefully if some of you are about town tomorrow you might take a wander over by the Ha’penny Bridge around 4.

Here are some words from the lady herself:

“I am trying to get as many people together and take a photo and raise some cash for the project out in Zambia (please see info attached for more detials about org) but basically the one I was out with for 6 months last year. They have been working hard since January to pull together the festival like the one from last year but bigger, better and with more kids from the street, or previously living on the street. In fact this year they managed to get 50 kids actually living on the street, and rehabilitate them using dance, drama and other creative arts, working towards a performance for the public, allowing the kids to have their voices heard about the issues that affect them (rape, drug abuse, homelessness, lack of education, etc.) They are doing such good work, but as with all groups, funds are tight so I had agreed to organise a fundraiser...

I don't do things by half so planned a worldwide event to raise awareness about the group in Zambia with the hope of raising a few pennies too. So what I proposed was for people all over the world to 'Walk Out' on a bridge in their town or area in solidarity with and respect of the wonderful guys in Zambia. Bridges are significant because in Lusaka where the org is based and where there are thousands of kids who have lived on the street or still do, and many of them live under the bridges- where they will eat, live, beg, dance, laugh, sleep.

So dear Dervla is dragging a wedding party out in Dlehi, there's a street centre in Kenya who are in solidarity with their brothers and sisters in Zambia, London Bridge will be flowing with supporters, Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchetser, Belfast and Derry (so far!!!)

So I am going to Belfast, Dublin and Derry this weekend to organise these events and was hoping that you might be so kind as to join me in Dublin.”

Advertisement