Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Vs thread

Options
  • 23-11-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Sorry about the essay :o
    I posted in the zune thread before, I'm heading to NY for a few days in the middle of december and was going to get a 2nd gen Zune (my wife has an original 30gb zune....which is excellent, especially with the new firmware)

But now I have been looking a bit more and am thinking of a few more players.

My brother asked me to get him a 16gb ipod touch, its €399 here and $399 - €269 there. I've been looking at reviews/video reviews of it and it looks pretty cool but the size of storage puts me off it slightly.

I've also been loking at the archos 605 wifi. This looks amazing. Its a bit chunky though, but has good choices in storage, 4gb/SD, 30gb, 80gb, 160gb. I like the idea of the DVR stand to record/play tv. I know that I'd have to pay to enable browsing etc.

So 80gb Zune, 16gb Ipod Touch, 80/160gb 605Wifi..........
    Which would you get or do you have & why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

If I send you money will you get me an 80gig Zune? plzplz?!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

im pretty much the same situation...going to new york at christmas. im probably going to go for the ipod touch, i have wifi in my house and the 16 gb doesnt put me off. i think it would be big enough for me.

the archos is the other one i was thinking of....although it looks good...i think it would be to bulky for me.
    anyway...i'll be watching this thread myself to see what advice you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

kaimera wrote: »
    If I send you money will you get me an 80gig Zune? plzplz?!

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

uglyjohn wrote: »
    im pretty much the same situation...going to new york at christmas. im probably going to go for the ipod touch, i have wifi in my house and the 16 gb doesnt put me off. i think it would be big enough for me.

the archos is the other one i was thinking of....although it looks good...i think it would be to bulky for me.
    anyway...i'll be watching this thread myself to see what advice you get.

I was in the same situation as ye and I went for the iPod Touch because is fits nicely in your pocket and you do not have to pay extra for the Opera broswee and the Mpeg codec and the iPod looks nicer than the Archos but the iPod is only okay for videos because of the small memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

if your main aim is to play videos then theres no competition to the 605, but if its for music I wouldnt consider the 605.

The 605 supports xvid/divx out of the box, its only h264 and mpeg2/vob that you have to pay for plugins which most ppl dont need.

Ipod Touch video = get sick of converting after a few weeks.

• Advertisement

if your main aim is to play videos then theres no competition to the 605, but if its for music I wouldnt consider the 605.

The 605 supports xvid/divx out of the box, its only h264 and mpeg2/vob that you have to pay for plugins which most ppl dont need.

Ipod Touch video = get sick of converting after a few weeks.

Cool, didn't know it was xvid/divx out of the box :)

Posting replies to my own thread again ;)

I got to play with a ipod touch yesterday, a friend from the uk was over and has one.

I have to say I was impressed, way thinner than I thought.
    He had it 'hacked', basically it just means he can put other applications on it.
    So now it has all the functions of the iphone, except the phone obviously :)

The screen is clear and seems to be scratch proof, the shiny back though isn't. I asked about the video converting and he said its a piece of cake, but he is an apple whore, buys everything they make. Personally I'd rather not have to convert video. The 16gb still doesn't seem to be enough to me. His video was about 350mb for an episode of a show he watches (spooks) I think its an hour an episode.

Anyone please give a review of the archos 605???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

search archos on boards or check youtube for video reviews

do you want to convert nearly every single video you put on the ipod? Anyone i know with older ipod videos gave up doing this in a matter of weeks. You'll have the ipod fanboys who'll say they dont mind and it takes no time but their talking crap. Or would you like to just drag and drop your newly acquired episode of Lost, Prison Break etc on to the 605? And then size wise, 16gb is nothing! I'd be deleting stuff everytime I wanted to add stuff! I got the 160gb 605. At the moment I have all my music, every episode of only fools and horses, every episode of the wire, and then recent episodes of all my favourite tv show and I still have plenty of space left. And is only $400 for the 160gb version over in the US.

The 605 itself isnt the nicest looking thing in the world and ipod touch looks so much better.But no xvid support means i'd never consider one.

And the 605 isnt the only xvid player, the creative m plays them aswell and so does the cowon i think. Basically if your main aim is to play xvid's, i'd think twice about getting an ipod.

search archos on boards or check youtube for video reviews

do you want to convert nearly every single video you put on the ipod? Anyone i know with older ipod videos gave up doing this in a matter of weeks. You'll have the ipod fanboys who'll say they dont mind and it takes no time but their talking crap. Or would you like to just drag and drop your newly acquired episode of Lost, Prison Break etc on to the 605? And then size wise, 16gb is nothing! I'd be deleting stuff everytime I wanted to add stuff! I got the 160gb 605. At the moment I have all my music, every episode of only fools and horses, every episode of the wire, and then recent episodes of all my favourite tv show and I still have plenty of space left. And is only $400 for the 160gb version over in the US.

The 605 itself isnt the nicest looking thing in the world and ipod touch looks so much better.But no xvid support means i'd never consider one.

And the 605 isnt the only xvid player, the creative m plays them aswell and so does the cowon i think. Basically if your main aim is to play xvid's, i'd think twice about getting an ipod.

I just thought about looking on youtube earlier so watched a few of the video reviews :)
    I think you're right, I don't want to convert my video and if I had my whole music collection on it (which I want of course) then 16gb wouldn't even fit that, never mind the videos.

So I think its the 160gb 605 for me. I'd like the thinner one but 30gb is small too, 80gb would be good but seeing as its the same thickness as the 160gb, I think I'll go for the 160gb, you can never be big enough :)

Only 18 days till I go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

+1 for the iPod touch. I got one over in NY last week and I'm very impressed with it. Once you jailbreak it and get the extra apps on it it becomes a fantastic little machine. I also have a Cowon 30gb A2 which is a very nice PMP which has fantastic video support and I use the video out connected to my tv for movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

well 16gb is far too small for me, music collection is 20gb alone. Also i would never even consider the ipod purely because of the lack of divx/xvid support which is a deal breaker for me.

I've had the 30gb Creative Zen Vision M for the last 18 months which has served me well but its not exactly ideal for watching video on a bus with because of the size of the screen, but i still use the video function almost daily to watch my xvids on the telly using the AV cable which has been a lifesaver (before that i actually converted single episodes to dvd and put them on a rewritable to watch on the telly, but the ZVM made life so much easier)

Needless to say i'm now looking at getting the 80gb 605. the screen is brilliant and i could easily see myself using it for videos on the go. they've found the ideal ratio of screen size : overall device size imo. also you can stream videos from over your wireless network to the device, so once i get the dock i won't even need to put videos on the device to watch em on the tv!
    plus the 80gb is only about €280 overall from that newmp3technology.com site (i think) but i'm sure you'll get one nice and cheap in NY with those conversion rates

Advertisement