Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod Classic 80gb Vs. new Creative Zen 16gb

Options
  • 22-11-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

I'm considering splashing out on an MP3 player.

The above two come in at almost the same price(on Pixmania).

As I see it so far, the obvious differences are:

iPod:
    -5x capacity of Zen

Zen:
    -Less than 1/2 weight of iPod,
    -Approx 2/3s size of iPod.

Zen has an SD slot for expansion, but even with the newest SDHC thats a max of 16GB more. (I've emailed Creative to ask if these new 8/16GB SDHCs are compatible). Though these 16Gb cards seem to run about €150 at the moment...

I like the idea of the Zen being smaller/lighter, but the huge difference in capacity has me thinking... I don't think I'd need 80Gb, but I certainly want more than 16GB... I think... - I have 15-16GB music at the moment, but would see that growing at least 50% fairly quickly if I had a proper player.

Who has either?
    Pro's/Con's of each?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Neither makes are renowned for their reliability. Creatives are supposed to have better sound than ipods however.I would personally have the ipod bcos of its massive capacity.You should also consider the creative vision:m(30gb or 60gb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Hmmm.... The 60GB Vision M is more than twice as thick as the iPod though... 22mm vs 10.5mm

Another point is that I also like the idea of there being a radio on the Creative...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I'm in the same boat as you. I like the idea of having an ipod, but the creative is smaller but i dont like the way tat its kind of on its side... the sony for me is another option.

I'm building a house at the minute and putting a sound system in so i want something with plenty of storage that can hold all of my music, which isnt loads at the minute but it will be over time. I just think that the sonys and creatives with bigger storage are very expensive compared to the ipod classic?? and as far as i have heard the music is stored seperately on the creative when you use external memory.

dlambirl wrote: »
    and as far as i have heard the music is stored seperately on the creative when you use external memory.

I've also asked Creative that in my email.

As far as I have heard from asking about cos i desperately want to get a new machine! (I'm probably wrecking everyones heads but i want a good, easy to use, well built, good sound mp3 player)

Someone told me that the music is stored seperately on the SD card which is kinda crap

• Advertisement

Do either play AVI movies? My Digital camera records in this format, so that would be a nice feature.

Its a shame about the capacity of the Zen.... if it even had 30GB, and even if that took it to €300, I'd jump on it (both are about €220 delivered off Pixmania). Its smaller size/weight make it so tempting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

dlambirl wrote: »
    Someone told me that the music is stored seperately on the SD card which is kinda crap

Maybe you misheard or that person is plaiin out incorrect.

The Zen has internal memory AND an SD slot, so you can add more storage via SD card if you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have the 80gig ipod.. It's grand as long as you don't drop it on a concrete floor.

Sometimes when i try and charge it via usb it freezes but it doesn't happen often. I had the old 30gig zen and it was grand but also freezed at times, but it had a reset button which the ipod doesn't afaik, which is shít because if the ipod freezes i have to leave it until the battery runs dry.

But, if you have the option of two mp3 players for the same price, one with 16GB and one with 80GB, then i'm sorry but you'd be a fool to opt for the 16GB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

buuuut the 16gb model will survive a hard drop to the floor... presuming it is flash, which is the only way a high price could be justified... PS I'm no fool :P

The Zen is also a LOT lighter than the iPod, which is actually pretty heavy - not that I'm talking about holding it, but when in a pocket, the Zen would be barely noticeable. And i'm pretty sure its Flash Memory - so probably more resiliant.

Got my reply from Creative - less than 11hours after sending it - 9:30pm last night to 8am this morning!!

Here it is, good and bad news:

Dear xxxxx,

Thanks for contacting Creative Technical Support.

With regards to your enquiry, the new Zen 16GB player does support new
    SDHC card. For a complete list of memory card supported, please take a
    look at http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zen/?nav=sdcard

And when using the memory card for this player, you need to select which
    memory to play from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

which is shít because if the ipod freezes i have to leave it until the battery runs dry.

Hold down the select and play buttons to reset

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

that answersmy question - i've gone off the creative now...

I'm gonna opt for an Ipod havent decided between the new nano 8gb or the classic 80gb, i havent got a marvelous amount of music but for 50euro extra could get 10x the memory?!! but the classic is MASSIVE compared to the nano?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LaMoose

Mactard wrote: »
    Maybe you misheard or that person is plaiin out incorrect.

The Zen has internal memory AND an SD slot, so you can add more storage via SD card if you want.

He's very much correct. The stuff on the SD card wont show up in the library of the player, you have to play everything individually from the card, i think. There's a big hoo ha about it anyway check out the creative forums for info. Basically the SD card insnt integrated with the main player, which makes it fairly useless.

Advertisement