Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gps data tracker question

Options
  • 22-11-2007 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

doing a project in college I am creating an app that will geotag digital pics

my question is does the gps dataloggers record time of the point they record the way point?

or does just record a series of gps co-ordinates?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I guess it depends on the specific GPS data tracker you buy..
    However, for Garmin GPS receivers, the tracklog includes a timestamp for every recorded point. I'd imagine this would be the case for any GPS receiver that records tracklogs.

Do you want some sample Garmin tracklogs?

Microsoft's WWMX sounds like it does what your proposing. Have a look:
    http://research.microsoft.com/research/downloads/Details/eadb6a33-b1b8-4c4d-b713-64fae728f74f/Details.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Krusty would love some sample track logs as i am still at the proof of concept stage I'm interested to hear that you can get the track logs off your garmin and that it has a time stamp on it as this was an issue that was worrying me.
    couple of more questions:
    is getting the track logs off easy?
    what kind of GPS are you using?

good news. thank you. really appreciate it. :D

Getting the tracklogs off is very easy. I'm using a Garmin (Quest). Garmin supplies a software product called MapSource with their GPS receivers. You simply hook up the receiver to your PC via USB, launch mapsource, and you can retrieve:
    Points of interest
    Maps
    Tracklogs
    etc.

Not all GPS receivers record tracklogs (or breadcrumb trails as they are sometimes known). Also, different manufacturers use different formats when uploaded to a PC, but there are usually simple programs to convert between formats. When I boot up the other laptop I'll upload some tracklogs for you, in GPX format, which is GPS XML.. I can give you some photos (with suitable timestamps) if that'd make you're life easier.

See attached tracklog for DublinZoo.
    You can actually upload it to the GSPVisualizer site and view it in google maps.

Visit here: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

You should get a result like:
    47950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Thanks Very much Krusty Appreciate that

• Advertisement
Advertisement