Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moon times

Options
  • 22-11-2007 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi Can anyone give me some views on practice and the actual times of the full moon..
    For example.. If the full moon was at mid-day today.. but I had planned do something constructive am I against the grain of things as technically the moon would be waning if I was doing something later in the evening and more suited to banishing? Of course I could have just planned it the day before.. How much does this matter in people's opinion? In the old times we didn't have this accuracy

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You need the Lunabar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hi Can anyone give me some views on practice and the actual times of the full moon..
    For example.. If the full moon was at mid-day today.. but I had planned do something constructive am I against the grain of things as technically the moon would be waning if I was doing something later in the evening and more suited to banishing? Of course I could have just planned it the day before.. How much does this matter in people's opinion? In the old times we didn't have this accuracy

True we didn'' and there are those who will argue that the 'full' moon lasts for 3 days/night, cos other wise you can get far to technical about it and end up figuring out when the light from the exact moment the moon goes full reaches the earth and where you are on the earth and just considering those calculations gives me a headache.

Lunbar is pretty nifty lil program in my opinion been using it for the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

I would also reiterate the comment made by Kharn and Thead that Lunabar is excellent.

As to it mattering if you are working at the appropriate time or not, it depends often on the system you are working within. For example, some aspects of ceremonial magic require exact calculation.
    What you mean by the old day's, I would question their lack of knowledge to be honest... There are ephimeris going back hundreds of years that are pinpoint accurate. Also, ancient cultures such as those of Ireland, managed to calculate the exact point of not only the moon, but the sun and some of the near plannets too. Similarly with the Greeks and others.
    However, if you seek to mark the full moon as an observance or general worship and trying to align yourself to the concept of the moon and it's phases, it is commonly agreed that the primary phases of full, dark etc, are just as potent within a range, generally agreed to be of three days duration. The shift from waxing to waning energies dont just flip like a coin, rather they increase and reduduce and 'phase' in and out of the phases. It is to me, more a matter of strength and potency rather than a flip switch. So again, a matter of hours after astronomical full is of little consequence and unless you percieve that to then be waining, it wont be. Personally, while preferable to do a working at the appropriate time, situaltions don't always lend themselves to it, or sometimes the commonly percieved way to view a working would need say, a waxing moon, but thinking around the subject to adjust the intent to suit the phase.
    For example; a working for healing could be done in a waxing to 'bring full health' or could be done in a waining to 'remove ill health' both still resulting in healing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 SASQUATCH

Do ye know the 13 moon Mayan calendar thingymajobby?
    It's timed around natural cycles and all that. Every month has 28 days, which
    leaves one day missing, but that's a great reason for a party.
    Apparently the druids used a calendar like this also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

thank you for the replies folks:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement