Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell laptop no power

Options
  • 21-11-2007 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

A mate just rang me with a problem on his laptop, it will not power up at all even when connected to the mains. the light comes on to sow maons connection but nothing happens. He rang Dell and they told him it would not be covered under their warranty which he has till 08. Any ideas what might be wrong or what the is story with Dell.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Hmm. If he has a valid warranty with Dell did they explain why they won't cover this issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

if its under warranty it should be covered.
    however they wont cover the battery, the power cable or any damage he caused himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

So to clarify, when you say 'the light comes on to show mains connection' do you mean the light on the power brick or the light on the laptop. I had assumed that it meant there was a power light on the laptop showing. If it is the power light on the laptop and there are no signs (or admission) of accidental damage then it's an internal fault and Dell's problem.

If it's the light on the laptop and it doesn't power on then it could be anything from a simple connection loose to a terminal component failure. If the light on the laptop isn't coming on then it's probably a bent/damaged power connector on the board which tend to be very difficult to fix without replacing the motherboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

id assume if there is a light anywhere on the chassis then the battery and charger can be ruled out immediately and dell will cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Is any vital information being left out here like did your friend cause any damage to the laptop himself? I find it strange that having rang Dell Technical support, quoted his service tag and explained the problem to the tech,that they would flat out deny repair service even if the unit is under warranty till next year. In fact this is the ifrst time I've ever heard of it happening (and I've dealt with Dell tech's a lot in varying circumstances) unless the damaged was caused by himself.
    Can you relay to us exactly what the dell tech told him on the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 reg_anam

one possibility - I've seen this on a Dell laptop when the battery gets very low, allow it to charge for 15 or 20 mins. and its possible it may start to respond then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ciderboy

i'm still waiting to see the laptop myself but he says that the power light comes on the laptop when it is plugged in.
    I think the Dell tech implied that it was a battery problem and that they did not cover this.
    I need to find out more detail myself but was just looking for a few ideas what i could check and the ring Dell myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ciderboy

he did not cause any damage himself to it, it was on his desk working on Friday and on Sunday it would not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

If it is the battery or charger then as far as I know they're only covered by a 90 day warranty even on new ones as there considered consumables for some reason. If it is the battery he should still be able to power the laptop up fine with the battery removed, at least this way he can rule out if it is indeed the battery thats causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I seem to remember something about some Dell laptops having a weak connection where the power cord is plugged in at the back. The inner connections break away from the PCB as a result of some dodgy Dell manufacturing issue. Even if it is outside the warranty period, there might be some comeback if you push Dell support on the matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement