Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be completely honest with your OH or be discreet?

Options
  • 21-11-2007 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

There's a thread in PI at the moment about a guy whose girlfriend told him she had done a threesome before. It was before they got together so it shouldn't be an issue. My problem with it is that the guy would be better off not knowing.

The other opinion would be that you should be completely open with your OH. I don't understand it myself but wonder how many would be like that.

The same I guess would go for cheating (haven't done so myself). If you do cheat and want to stay with your OH then you probably shouldn't tell them. Being open about it again makes your OH feel awkward. I guess this could apply to a lot of stuff. Would you tell your partner absolutely everything about you or be discreet about the dodgy parts?

Would you / Are you completely honest with your OH 20 votes

Sure
    0% 0 votes
    Nope
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Honesty is good to a point.

I prefer to tell no lies than be honest
    If someone doesn't directly ask you about something you have no need ot tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't sweat the small stuff. There is no need to tell you OH everything, only things that will affect them directly somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some things are best left unsaid ,wimmin can take what they wish out of the most innocent comments like ' oh i was chatting to julie in the lift today and it broke down ' .
    To your other half it means ' guess what ? ,the lift broke down today and he /snogged /shagged julie ' ..........imo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If she had a threesome made up of two girls and a bloke, then she should tell im and suggest a repeat. If it was two blokes and her she should keep quiet about it and suggest a threesome with her best friend anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Rob_l wrote: »
    Honesty is good to a point.

I prefer to tell no lies than be honest
    If someone doesn't directly ask you about something you have no need ot tell them.
    That's still a lie of ommission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It's not a question of honesty; the main thing that gets people into
    trouble is not being able to control feelings of guilt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I tell my boyfriend everything and he tells me everything (or so I would imagine). I think it's why we're so strong. I can talk to him about everything, absolutely everything. I'd hate to think that some subjects were off limits or things were beng omitted.

If things happened in the past that my other half couldn't deal with then we're not strong enough to last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i was seeing a girl for a few months, and then she told me she had a relationship with a girl for several weeks. she also told me other things on similiar basis to this discussion. such as being un-faithful to her previous partners etc.

it drove me mad for a long time and when i was finally able to talk to her about it, i realised its not something i wanted to know.
    it messed with my mind so much i couldnt deal with it and in the end it was a big part of why we broke up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

Never never tell the truth especially to your girlfriend!
    That's just crazy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Total honesty kills relationships. The more truth you tell the worse it gets. Yes Jessica Alba has a nicer bum than you. I can't help that. ANGER

Yes I was talking to that girl, was she pretty, yeah. SLAP!

Your younger sister - yeah she is like a better version of you. SLAM! out that door.

So you see how honesty is the worst policy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If she had a threesome made up of two girls and a bloke, then she should tell im and suggest a repeat. If it was two blokes and her she should keep quiet about it and suggest a threesome with her best friend anyway.
    I like your thinking, Fred! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It would appear from this thread that some people do not truly want to know their partner, or for their partner to know them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

It would appear from this thread that some people do not truly want to know their partner, or for their partner to know them?

would you not see it like this?

example 1
    i want to know my partner, but i dont want to know that she had a threesome with 2 fella's? or that she got drunk at a party and let x amount of people do things to her.

example 2
    man and woman are married. woman tells man she cheated on her ex's.
    woman then starts talking to the fella she cheated with.
    how would you feel?

would you want to know that? i know i wouldnt want to know.
    somethings are better left un-said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Some things are just best left in the past. And some things, depending on the person, need not be mentioned. If he/she is the jealous type its far easier to not say that you were talking to some guy/girl, even if its for totally innocent reasons, to avoid a row that need not happen, because you know yourself that you have no intentions of doing anything that SHOULD hurt him/her. as opposed to admitting to absurd things that hurt him/her for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    That's still a lie of ommission.

I don't agree with you there! I don't know everything about my OH's past, he doesn't know everything about mine and we're perfectly happy that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Is the guy from the other threat upset? As long as it involved two woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I used to operate on a be completely open about my past policy, it really doesn't work out well, so I'm going to be keeping stuff to myself from now on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

azezil wrote: »
    I used to operate on a be completely open about my past policy, it really doesn't work out well, so I'm going to be keeping stuff to myself from now on!

What is it that your hiding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I am totally honest with him about everything relative to our relationship! However, when it comes to past relationships I don't want to know about his ex girlfriends and he doesn't want to know about mine!!! I don't understand why some couples need to know everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

davejones wrote: »
    What is it that your hiding?
    He's really a hetero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

You cannot live life in black and white you shouldn't try to keep your relationship like that either.

If you think your partner will be cool about it and you need to get it off your chest then tell them - if you think for a moment it might hurt them and you can live without telling them then don't - your honesty could ruin a great relationship forever.

I don't need to know everything my partner ever did and I sure don't want them to know eveything I did so....

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

You are not answerable to current partners about what happened in your past.

If you truly know your other half it should be blindingly obvious to you weather or not the gritty sordid details of your past will or will not cause trouble.

Some people are more self-assured than others and therefore react differently.

I for one reckon that the wilder antics of my partners past is none of my concern. i don't need to know, and vise versa. It would be downright foolish to believe you knew all that was to be known about your partner.

Advertisement