Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zee Opera

Options
  • 21-11-2007 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

I was at my first on Saturday in the Helix, La Traviata, it was AMAZING!

I'm not too familiar with classical apart from the pieces I've done in Grades in piano, and I don't really know anything about opera, but I reaaally enjoyed Saturday and I wondered if anyone has any recommendations of what to see?

Is there anything unmissable coming up? Where's the best place to go? And is there like... a kind of season pass to the operas?

My piano teacher was saying that there only tends to be operas on around November and April in Ireland... Will I have to wait until April to go again?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I was also at that performance on Saturday evening, and I must say it was an excellent production—Violetta had an amazing voice.

My favourite Verdi opera is Traviata. I also like Puccini's Tosca, and of course Bizet's Carmen (despite its clichéedness). And a few more, of course, but those are my favourites. I'm also quite fond of some of Wagner's work, though that might be a little too heavy for a newcomer to opera (certainly the case with "Tristan", anyway!).

Seeing a real live opera is a million times better than hearing a recording, of course. On Thursday afternoons in August in the Dublin Corporations offices on Wood Quay they do highlights from well-known operas, but that's a bit far away at this stage. Keep a look out in the National Concert Hall programme, although I've been told that some of the NCH operas are not the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Opera in this country is a very scarce entertainment.
    It is a little better (just) these days than only the November/April pair as mentioned. These are the two operas put on each season by Opera Ireland. At the moment they have Turandot and some piece of rubbish. Next spring they have Le Nozze and Ariadne auf Naxos.
    You can usually pick up one or two other in both spring and Autumn in the NCH (semistaged - but much of the fare in the Gaiety is not that 'staged' anyway). Choice is normally limited to the main handful but they had Nabucco this year.
    You can usually see another 2 or 3 at the Helix. Orlando this year was a good effort, and they had some Rossini a few years ago. Sometimes in the Theatre some times in their Concert Hall
    Check out the Wexford Opera Festival for rarer repertiore - but expensive and book early.

And thats about it. Nearest after that is Belfast with another handful per year.

Or better, treat yourself to a visit to London, Paris, Milan, or Vienna and see how its really done. Berlin supposed to be excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Yes, opera in Vienna is fantastic. And if you're broke you can get a standing ticket for €2. That's how I've seen most of my operas.
    Also, I know you're supposed to appreciate the music or whatever, but I like my operas fully staged, well choreographed etc. (the Gesamtkunstwerk I think it is...). Also, I like surtitles, so I know what's going on.
    I do like the Opera Ireland productions, you just can't have as high expectations as with somewhere like Vienna. I'm looking forward to The Marriage of Figaro. It was one of my favourites live. I mean, I heard it on CD and didn't think much of it, but I loved it live. You really do have to see them live to decide whether you like them or not.
    I like Otello, Macbeth as well, which I wouldn't have expected.
    On the other hand, I didn't particularly enjoy The Magic Flute.
    Other ones I enjoyed - Tosca, La Boheme, La Traviata.
    Have never seen any Wagner, not sure if I'd be tempted.

Opera Ireland have their shows in the Gaiety in November and April
    http://www.operaireland.ie/oi/publisher/index.jsp

Anna Livia have a festival in September (also in Gaiety)
    http://www.dublinopera.com/index.html

The National Concert Hall have operas from time to time, next is in February
    http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performances/L-Elisir-d-amore-by-Gaetano-Donizetti.aspx?date=23/02/2008&time=1930
    I'm not really mad about it as a venue for opera though.

And The Helix, as you've already seen, though I've never been there myself.

Advertisement