Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is this worth?

Options
  • 20-11-2007 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me an idea how much my laptop is worth. Its a HP Pavillion dv8000,
    14 months old. 1.66Ghz Centrino duo, 2GB ram, 17 inch screen, two 60Gb hard drives, Dual boot XP on one drive Ubuntu 7.10 on the other. NVidia graphics card. Never left the desk since it was bought and was always mounted on a laptop cooling pad. Im thinking of selling and buying/building a desktop as the laptop never moves anyway. Was 1700eur new and I upgraded the Ram from 1GB. Any help appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Worth about 400-500 tops. Whoever charged you 1,700 for that a year ago must have been trying to hold in a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

400-500 is a very glum figure its a 17" afterall with a not too shabby spec

yeah the lads on adverts.ie would push you €400-500 or as is sometimes the case €376.3333 and then fight over the 2cent change with you but the majority of people out there don't have as much time on their hands

stick it in the buy and sell at €700 and take €650 and before anyone says "but the 17" Vostro's are.................." forget it not everyone knows about em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

ah well,a laptops value drops quicker than a 5 series leaves a show room

i sold a M1710 (not too shabby spec) for 800e, generally speaking if the processor is not a core2duo or similar then its not worth a great deal...

my 2cents.;)

theres a sony on adverts going for around 2 grand now, go figure.

i dont think he will get it somehow.

ps: as for that laptop, buy and sell is best,might get 600e there if lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

17" means nothing without type &resolution of screen.
    • 16:9, 16:10 or 4:3
    • all pixels OK or allowed a max number faulty
    • Fashonista headache inducing shiny/Gloss surface (cheaper to make!) or Matt/Anti glare (more ergonomic)
    • Resolution (my 15.4" screen is 1600x1200). Some people that won't wear glasses for reading and should, prefer lower resolution screens (72dpi to 100dpi), others want true HD resolution or as high as possible (120dpi to 180dpi) for reading PDFs and books on screen).
    • Screen native fade/refresh time (video / game response)
    • Frame refresh rate (amount of flicker)
    • Progressive or Interlace. Some LCDs are actually interlaced! Load screen of alternate dark/light one pixel high horizontal lines to test.
    • LED, EL or CFL backlight

bandit197 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me an idea how much my laptop is worth. Was 1700eur new and I upgraded the Ram from 1GB. Any help appreciated.
    Cheers
    Worth more to keep it.

my laptop was €3000+ new 5.75 years ago. I'd get marginally more RAM and CPU paying €1600 and really still have to pay €3000 to get better.

So I replaced the aged battery and DVDread/CDWrite with DVD Writer and upgraded internal WiFi from 11Mbps to 108Mbps. Upgraded 30G HDD to 120G HDD cheaply.
    I added 256M from a dead laptop.

So now 1.8GHz P4 (desktop CPU), Same XP as when bought (never re-installed), beats Vista or subsequently installed XP on a new dual core 1.6GHz Toshiba! No dead pixels, matt almost paper like 1600x1200 15.4" LCD, 768M RAM, Original GeForce4 440 Go graphics.. The only lack I feel is USB2.0. It has 2 x PCMCIA, TV out, dual PS/2 in via splitter, serial, parallel IRDA and IEEE1394 (my digital Camcorder) all of which I use. I use some serial devices & applications that don't work on USB serial adaptor. I use parallel port for JTag.

The built in mic & speakers work good with Skype and I'm baffled why many newer Laptops have no mic.

I have SCSI PCMCIA adaptor for tape backup or professional scanner, 192kHz sampling PCMCIA Soundblaster for SDR applications and 2 kinds of PCMCIA modem (HSDPA and Digiweb Mobile). An Express card only slot would be no use.

If I'd sold it I would have got maybe €350 tops and replacement would have been €3000 for something *Really better*. I'd be hard put to actually replace it now at any price.

GPS and handsfree headset (both for my phone) work with the cheap USB BT dongle from Argos. I even sometimes use the built in 56K modem for faxing or dialup Internet (access Eircom.net stuff that you can't log with on a different ISP) even over my Broadband VOIP (!).

It's not a gamer machine. But I'd use a portable mini-box with slot for 8800GT or something if I wanted a transportable gamer machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Somebody would be getting a very good deal if I sold for 400-500 eur:D Ill be holding on to it. Its costing me nothing, as for somebody holding in a laugh when I bought it...of course they were....didnt I buy it in pc world:D The laptop itself was 1400ish. I forgot about the 300 service and insurance that I foolishly took out. I bought it through my business and wrote it off so it cost me nothing really.
    As for the screen, there are no dead pixels.

'Without a doubt, the 17-inch screen is the star of the show here. The glossy finish makes colors particularly sharp and vivid. The LCD is perfectly suited for entertainment tasks like DVD movies and 3D games, but be sure to turn the lights down low or off as that high-gloss screen brightly reflects ambient light. The 1440 x 900-pixel resolution strikes the perfect balance between the number of pixels onscreen and the size of each one. We could easily run Outlook and Internet Explorer side by side without squinting to read the text in either application'
    Taken from laptopmag.com

Ill go ahead with my new build and keep the laptop as even with no upgrades it will run Linux for years to come. I have no wish for vista. I have yet to meet someone who is happy with it. I started using Ubuntu two months ago and for me there is no going back.
    Cheers for the advice guys.

Good Plan.
    It might even run Linux AND XP (look at free VMware server & Player) for another 10 years.

You can get an aerosol spray to make the screen matt. Greatly improves contrast, colour, reduces headaches (no moving reflections unconsiously making eyes re-focus) etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

bandit197 wrote: »
    Somebody would be getting a very good deal if I sold for 400-500 eur

That's the sad thing, they wouldn't! It'd be nothing but what the laptop is worth. These days, 2gb ram, dual core, 120gb hard drive etc are all standard in even cheap laptops - you could get the exact same spec's as yours, in fact, much better, for about 800 euro - and that'd be brand new.

Welcome to the world of laptop depreciation!

Though as stated that laptop, as a day to day machine, is good for the next decade. I used to use a P3 laptop until about 2 years ago, the only reason I upgrade every year or two is because I play games a lot!

Advertisement