Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic covers for maps

Options
  • 20-11-2007 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi.
    I am wondering is it possible to get plastic sheet covers that would fit over a os map, that you could mark with a marker and would wipe off?
    For mountaineering purposes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, you can get laminated versions (LamFold) of the standard OS maps, you can get standard map cases, A4 sized cases with zip fasteners and you can scan and print off sections of maps and use a standard office laminator or self adhesive plastic (used for covering books) to laminate them. There's also 'waterproof paper' available that allows you to print off maps using your inkjet or laser printer.

It all depends really on the marker you're planning on using, and whether that'll be able be wiped off of whatever you choose to protect the maps. Nothing to do but experiment, I'd say. It'd also depend a bit on how waterproof it'd all have to be.

What are you planning on doing exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Alun wrote: »
    Well, you can get laminated versions (LamFold) of the standard OS maps, you can get standard map cases, A4 sized cases with zip fasteners and you can scan and print off sections of maps and use a standard office laminator or self adhesive plastic (used for covering books) to laminate them. There's also 'waterproof paper' available that allows you to print off maps using your inkjet or laser printer.

It all depends really on the marker you're planning on using, and whether that'll be able be wiped off of whatever you choose to protect the maps. Nothing to do but experiment, I'd say. It'd also depend a bit on how waterproof it'd all have to be.

Hi, thanks.
    I am joining a mountaineering club, and we need a map and compass. With the aim of also doing a bit of solo mountaineering after a while, in times of heavy rain, the map wouldn't rip, and I could draw my route on the map, and then wipe it clear when finished.
    Lamenating the paper would mean I couldn't fold it easily in my pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Where would one get this waterproof paper? I couldn't find any when I went looking a year or so ago.

testicle wrote: »
    Where would one get this waterproof paper? I couldn't find any when I went looking a year or so ago.
    By chance, they had some in Great Outdoors when I was in there last. You can get it by mail order from lots of places but the P&P often was more than the paper itself. Think I paid €25 or so for 10 sheets :eek: but it's great stuff.

This is what I have http://www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/accessories_waterproof_paper.html

supertramp wrote: »
    Hi, thanks.
    I am joining a mountaineering club, and we need a map and compass. With the aim of also doing a bit of solo mountaineering after a while, in times of heavy rain, the map wouldn't rip, and I could draw my route on the map, and then wipe it clear when finished.
    Lamenating the paper would mean I couldn't fold it easily in my pocket.
    Probably your best bet then would be to either use the plastic sheeting you can get to cover books with or get a ready laminated map. But your biggest problem is going to be finding a covering that will actually take the marker pen ink, be sufficiently sturdy that it won't accidentally rub off, or dissolve when it gets wet, and will then be able to be removed with whatever solvent you need to use without damaging the covering.

Personally I'd go down the route of printing off your own map segments with the route marked on them and then covering that, which is effectively what I do. I've used an office laminator with some success. It is a bit stiff, as you say, but I just shove it down behind my rucksack waist strap. Either that or use the 'magic' waterproof paper I mentioned.

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/accessories_waterproof_paper.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

If you want the map to last a long time, or indeed any length of time, I recommend buying the laminated OS ones, they are very good.

For hillwalking, I just fold the map properly, and remember the route - do you really need to mark it?

For racing, I use a sharpie (available from easons) to mark the map. With a bit of scrubbing, the lines usually come off.

Another option is to get a non laminated map, mark your route in pen, and cover it in contact adhesive (again, easons). However, the map won't last as long and you can only mark it once.

As others said, printing the section, and then using contact adhesive works pretty well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

OP id definity recommend get a pre-laminated OS map because it keeps the water out, if you laminate a normal map yourself the water will find a way through!!!

you can buy chinograph pens in easons and such that will wipe off the laminate or if you use a normal marker, spray deodorant like lynx on it and it will rub off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I am a moron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Buy laminated maps:
    1. They won't fail you.
    2. They can easily be folded (they come with the folds pre-bent)
    3. Any other laminating job will be more expensive, and MUCH harder to fold (after all, they are designed to protect book covers from folding)

Trust me, I tried to save a few quid on a sheet 55 I thought I'd only need once, and I stuck it in my plastic map holder. Despite the rain it was fine, until, of course, I had to take it out to refold it to see the next part of the route.

I aslo second king-stews comment about chinagraph pencils, which are great. You can also get map pens which also wipe off, but they are vunerable to rainfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 luvtravelling

just wondering where do u buy them i live in waterford and we have an otdoor shop but it stupid it doesnt have anything close to outdoor pursuits. i has os maps that cost 10 euro dearer then book centre. where can i get a pouch that fits maps in. my dad has one but he got it in germany two euro and the shopp had everything. where can i buy one in rip off ireland:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement