Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones & Headphone Amp

Options
  • 20-11-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Need some advise. Decided to treat myself to a new set of high end cans for Christmas. wife is going shopping in New York next week. Always fancied the Grado RS1 and RA1 combination. Questions are 1) What other high end phones should I consider, 2) Is the RS1 worth the extra cost over the SR325i, 3) Never used a headphone amp before - do they make a difference, 4) what other headphone amps should I consider. They will be used mainly for listening to music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I've a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 and throughly reccomend it, uses valves so great warm sound out of it, it's coupled with a pair of HD580s.. great combination imo.

If you're in America then you can't go wrong with picking up the Grados with the exchange rate at the mo, they're hideously expensive anywhere outside the US.
    I can't comment on the differences between the RS1 and 325.. best bet is head-fi.org I'd say!

RA1 isn't really the most fantastic amp in the world on a par with the creek obh-11 or thereabouts. I'd reccomend the X-Can V3.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Joe D'Arcy

Thanks Kali, I tried head-fi.org as I have used it before but the site is down at the moment due to hardware problems!! I will research the Creek and Musical Fidelity offerings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Just be wary that grados are pretty much either love or hate.They are quite bright and not a good all rounder,if your a rocker your fine.Very impressive at first but in time they could end up tearing your ears apart,or,you may love them:D TBH the SR325i i found to be the harshest in their range,SR225 is much better, easier on the ears.Can't comment on the RS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

http://www.parkavenueaudio.com/ on, would you believe, Park Avenue stock Grado. I like Grado but they do take a while to soften out... both the sound and the sponge! The sponge is initially like two brillo pads but with use they form to your shape.
    Leave them on continuously for days with good bassy music - that will soften out the cones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Oh.... and another vote for Musical Fidelity X-Cans headphone amp. Superb little yokes.

• Advertisement

Actually if you like Grado
    http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html
    is also well worth checking out.Price for price IMO id take an alessandro

Thanks everyone - I'm sold on the X-Can V3. Who stocks these in Belfast/Dublin? Wrt headphones you are making me think - what are the alternatives to Grado? I have wide musical taste but mostly indie/alternative and would use the phones for listening to stuff at the more intricate/quieter end of my range - Sufjan Stevens, Iron and Wine, Bright Eyes, Wilco, Miles Davis, Steely Dan etc along with late night video. Where is the best place to test drive alternatives?

Update: After a lot of web research and Phone conversations with retailers I know and trust I have more or less decided on Sennheiser HD650 and X-Can V3 combination and can get them both up North at reasonable prices. Would still love to test drive this combo versus some alternatives. Anyone got any advise as to how I could do this?

Buy 2nd hand,that way you pay a lot less than new and you can always flog on at a minimal loss if you don't like.Thats the only thing i can think of,not many places to try here.
    I had a HD650/Aria combo for a while,bloody good it was too.

Will suss 2nd hand sources over the next few days. Not sure about 2nd hand headphones and doubt that there are a lot of 2nd hand X-Can V3's around, but will be in the UK a few times between now and the end of the year and will see if anything is around.

• Advertisement

Update: Changed my mind 10 times yesterday!! At one point I was going for it and getting the top of the range Grado GS1000 ($1000) in the States and spending close to £1000 on a headphone amp and power supply. But got some great advice on head-fi.org whic is a fantastic forum on all aspects of headphones and associated items. I'm now back to the X-Can V3 as a definite and can get it in Kronos in Dungannon. Think I am back to the Sennheiser HD650 as well and can get them for $330 - a bargain. Just want to ask one last time if anyone can suggest any alternative headphones to research/try. For info earlier this year, I upgraded my home AV speaker system with a budget of €2000 and selected Monitor Audio Radius having tried nearly all of the other options in that price range

Update: Got mint condition X-Can V3 (less than a year old) for £157 incl postage and HD650's for $330, so I'm good to go for less than €450 - a bargain. The headphones are for Christmas, so I will run them in between now and then and try to resist the temptation to listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Joe D'Arcy wrote: »
    Update: Got mint condition X-Can V3 (less than a year old) for £157 incl postage and HD650's for $330, so I'm good to go for less than €450 - a bargain. The headphones are for Christmas, so I will run them in between now and then and try to resist the temptation to listen.

Hi Joe,
    I got 650's myself in the last week. I am on the lookout for a can v3 aswell. Would like to source a used one...where did you get yours?

One for sale here, there is also a Gilmore Lite listed
    http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com/vardet.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

whats the source for this great amp and headphones - Im assuming you have a great source but no amp/speakers or circumstances dictate that you cant play music through speakers. Ill cry if you say ipod or laptop with 128k mp3s

I am in a similar spot - got some akg 271s and now looking at an iBasso - diffiernt league I know but its for listening to mp3s on my laptop. Ive got the proper stuff at home:D

Advertisement