Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deja Vu: Whats the story?

Options
  • 20-11-2007 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

I had a serious bout of Deja Vu in college today. It was crystal clear, my head was spinning for about 10 minutes.

It got me thinking, why does it happen? how does it happen? I've never actually been able to get my head around where it comes from. Is it flashbacks from previous lives deep in our sub-conscience?

My head is probably still wrecked from the episode today, so apologies in advance if you think i'm talking sh1te.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Got it ever since I was young, I always knew what would happen next.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If in doubt, wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu

I love Deja-Vu, great to remind yourself that the brain is so damn powerful (and then head to the pub to destroy it).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It happens to me a lot. I just think it's because the situation is quite similar to a situation you have been in before but you may not remember it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

It happens to me a lot. I just think it's because the situation is quite similar to a situation you have been in before but you may not remember it well.

This one today was more than just a similar situation, it was literaly identical! It's hard to explain it, but it seriously felt like i'd been in the situation before. I've had stronger bouts of it before, and it just amazes me. I do get a great buzz out of them most times, leaves my head in a right spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hasn't this thread been done before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sign that they've changed something in the matrix?

(sorry! had to be done)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The guy wrote: »

so what will happen next, football results for next week would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I had a serious bout of Deja Vu in college today. It was crystal clear, my head was spinning for about 10 minutes.

It got me thinking, why does it happen? how does it happen? I've never actually been able to get my head around where it comes from. Is it flashbacks from previous lives deep in our sub-conscience?

My head is probably still wrecked from the episode today, so apologies in advance if you think i'm talking sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

If in doubt, wikipedia.

I love Deja-Vu, great to remind yourself that the brain is so damn powerful (and then head to the pub to destroy it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Muff_Daddy wrote: »

I had the same experience starting secondary school. On entering the main hall I knew I had already been in this place, everything was as I had seen it before without actually having been there! It was fascinating to say the least.

But the downside is that this kind of experience apparently can also be contributed scientifically to a form of epilepsy which is common. Saying that there is a slight mild form of epilepsy in my family. So go figure, is it a brain stutter flashback type thingy, or is it something more mystical? Science is by nature an unproven thing by the brain so De Ja Vu as portrayed by the Matrix as well could well be a simple minor cross wiring defect?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I had the same experience starting secondary school. On entering the main hall I knew I had already been in this place, everything was as I had seen it before without actually having been there! It was fascinating to say the least.

But the downside is that this kind of experience apparently can also be contributed scientifically to a form of epilepsy which is common. Saying that there is a slight mild form of epilepsy in my family. So go figure, is it a brain stutter flashback type thingy, or is it something more mystical? Science is by nature an unproven thing by the brain so De Ja Vu as portrayed by the Matrix as well could well be a simple minor cross wiring defect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

If in doubt, wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Way to ruin it. But something always ruins it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    Suppose that explains the Matrix dissapointing ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Rabies wrote: »

Didn't you post this before?

Eglinton wrote: »
    Didn't you post this yesterday?
    Didn't you just say that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

My Brain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

My Memory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I believe the technical explanation is that it happens whenever they change something in the matrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I believe the technical explanation is that it happens whenever they change something in the matrix
    Therefore bound by there within.

ciaranfo wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm sorry, care to repeat that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Déjà vu is essentially a failure of recall: it's the impression that the experience is being recalled from our memory when it's not. One of the features of déjâ vu is that for most of us, whilst the present feeling is strong, the details of the past experience are usually sketchy. It's as if there's an overlap between our short- and long-term memory.

SOURCE - BBC Radion 4 memory expert

Read this before in a science book. Your memory kinda jumps so you get the feeling you're been there before but its just the way your brain is processing the situation - it processes it twice as such.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/memory/understand/deja_vu.shtml

Advertisement