Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping a low lvl Human Pally level.

Options
  • 19-11-2007 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hey,

Brother recently got the game and wanted to help him level a bit. Is running through DM the best thing to do or?

I tried helping him kill a few things in Redridge but it seems to cap the XP when i'm grouped with him (lvl 65 pally).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Its pointless as I assume you're 60-70?

If so run him through the instances he needs to gear up and whenever he need group quests.. other than that questing is his best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Yeah i'm lvl 65 as above. So basically the only point in running him through instances is for gear then. If you're below lvl 60 is the cap as bad or?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

unless you roll a new character yourself you won't really be able to help him with XP much until hes in his late 50's or so, on the bright side leveling is meant to be a joke now 20-60 should go relatively quick for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Since yoru such a high level he will get next to no XP at all. But like said above it will be good to run him through for gear.

What i found works well, is if you are not grouped. And do the run. Let him cause AOE an then you go in and kill and he gets the loot. Or if by some chance you get itm then just trade it to him if its not BOP.

depending on his level though, he will prolly be best to go solo xp grind. The murlocs to the west of moonbrook are a great place to solo, there are even 2 quests to get there form the lighthouse. Which are simple.. Get some flasks of oil.

If possible get him to the banlands at about lvl 25, then move him to desolace / southshore at 28

Hmm thats not a bad idea on the Aoe idea, could do that and would work quite well. Just basically wait until enemies appear grey for me and hammer them lol. So cheers for that, will test it later and let you know how I get on.

Yeah leveling up to 60 is fairly easy tbh. I could do it quicker now if I was to start again since my 65 is my first character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Perfect incentive to level a new character imo. :) Plus 'twould be more fun that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

level an alt with him! dont just hold his hand. questing is the bread and butter of the game.

enjoy leveling, dont rush it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

cance wrote: »
    level an alt with him! dont just hold his hand. questing is the bread and butter of the game.

enjoy leveling, dont rush it.

Yet you couldn't bare to level an alt :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

nix wrote: »
    Yet you couldn't bare to level an alt :P

hey hey hey, i just dont have the patience to do the quests again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Funky wrote: »
    unless you roll a new character yourself you won't really be able to help him with XP much until hes in his late 50's or so, on the bright side leveling is meant to be a joke now 20-60 should go relatively quick for him

There's ways around it. If you're a healer just don't group and give off a few heals. He will still get max xp.

• Advertisement

Cool, well after grouping with a few druids in OL i've decided i'm going to make one and level it up with him :) They look like good fun to play.

Thinking of a night elf druid as want to stay alliance for the time being. They any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Faylum

Best classes by popular demand are Warlocks, Priests and Warriors.
    Shamans and Druids are not needed, altho Druids imo are better than warriors who cant reach the armour cap of 30,000 i think.
    Paladins are good but unless you wana be holy spec for PvE i suggest you dont pick one. Retribution paladins are imba but you need mint gear to be able to do any real damage, while protection paladins are also good they are still frown'd upon by most people and guilds.
    If you really want a good and fun class, not to mention a class that can do sick damage and level very fast, with little or no help for group quests, i would opt for Warlock, Hunter or Mage. Each one is skilled at grinding large amounts of mobs when at 70 and grinding for your epic mount. But they are also alot of fun, altho i hate locks i am aware they are a good class to have. While mages are one of the most fun classes to PvP with or just go grinding, also not having to buy food or water, being able to blink around when your lvl11 and teleporting like a mad man is always good for avoiding long waits at zepplins and ships.
    Hunters are prolly the easiest for leveling and surviving any kinda battle, Feign death and all the traps help you escape any fight shud your pet die.
    And warlocks are just so overpowered that i dont think i even need to explain them.

Druids imo are only good at high levels and are imo crap for dps when warlocks, rogues, hunters and mages can out dps them, so your main role will be either resto or feral tanking. Altho moonkins are soooo good when they have the right gear i still dont think you would like being owned like a mofo untill you get the gear required.
    So im just advising you that if your looking for a fun class dont pick a druid, instead pick, warlock and become OP, pick a Hunter or mage FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

He said he has a level 65 pally. I'd assume he has a fair idea of how the classes work tbh. (just that your post sounded a bit condescending)

Soz didn't mean for it to be. I read the OP thread a few days ago and forgot, only read the new updates you see :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Faylum wrote: »
    Shamans and Druids are not needed, altho Druids imo are better than warriors who cant reach the armour cap of 30,000 i think.
    Paladins are good but unless you wana be holy spec for PvE i suggest you dont pick one. Retribution paladins are imba but you need mint gear to be able to do any real damage, while protection paladins are also good they are still frown'd upon by most people and guilds.
    If you really want a good and fun class, not to mention a class that can do sick damage and level very fast, with little or no help for group quests, i would opt for Warlock, Hunter or Mage. Each one is skilled at grinding large amounts of mobs when at 70 and grinding for your epic mount. But they are also alot of fun, altho i hate locks i am aware they are a good class to have. While mages are one of the most fun classes to PvP with or just go grinding, also not having to buy food or water, being able to blink around when your lvl11 and teleporting like a mad man is always good for avoiding long waits at zepplins and ships.
    Hunters are prolly the easiest for leveling and surviving any kinda battle, Feign death and all the traps help you escape any fight shud your pet die.
    And warlocks are just so overpowered that i dont think i even need to explain them.

Druids imo are only good at high levels and are imo crap for dps when warlocks, rogues, hunters and mages can out dps them, so your main role will be either resto or feral tanking. Altho moonkins are soooo good when they have the right gear i still dont think you would like being owned like a mofo untill you get the gear required.
    So im just advising you that if your looking for a fun class dont pick a druid, instead pick, warlock and become OP, pick a Hunter or mage FTW.
    ^^ Also there is so much wrong with that post...

Yea prolly.
    I've never level'd any other character than my mage and a lock. So i just repeat what i hear from other. :P
    But can you atleast point out all the things i said wrong? So i may share your wisdom and become a great noble knight such as yourself? Crusader of the forums! haha xD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Personally I think being a druid would be one of the funnest class's, yea you don't get the major DPS some other class's have but you can perform well as a healer, tank or Dps.

Cheers for the posts, maybe I should have this thread split as I took it OT lol. So if somebody could split it would be great.

But thanks for the information, I don't find it condescending as I haven't really played any other classes past level 9 or 10 or something like that. Just my Pally and only base my views on how the other classes perform when i'm grouped up with them and also what 1 or 2 people in my guild tell me.

Reason I posted it was I was in Mana Tombs the other night with a 67 Druid doing tank and tbh he seemed to fair better or just as good as the lvl 70 prot pally we had grouped with us on the run we done in the same instance 10 mins previously. Then when defending the PvP towers in Hellfire just seeing them transform into birds and stuff to get around just like a flying mount I thought was pretty cool, me being stuck on my (albeit race with Crusader aura) horse lol.

Also, I got owned fairly badly by a horde druid in Terrokar repeatedly who was 1 level lower than me (I always have PvP on) as he kept changing forms so a lot repentence wouldnt work and just played really well against me imo. So it showed me that, played well a tauren druid can beat a Retrib spec pally... or else I just suck lol.

Although, a day later I seen a lvl64 warrior getting owned by the same guy outside the horde base by allerian stronghold so I just imagine he is just good. Either way I teamed up with him and got my revenge :D

Anyway, reason i'm asking is that while I love the high level benefits that come with my pally I feel that i've gotten pretty much all I can out of him and they can be a bit boring to play after a while, upshot is they perform well.

I have pretty much one of every char at the moment apart from a druid. And the lock is by far the best. Im only at lvl 42 atm, but i can crit with 580, the best thing is having a vw. When solo grinding it pulls all aggro off me, and i can sit back and do massive dps. But the bad thig is, the armour. even though im all blue spec cloth atm, i may aswell have wet paper. in instances its great too, as i can use my imp for a +19 stamina boost, i can use my felhunter to remove effects on me. And im still to find a use for the succubus, its just fooking useless.

I've seen succubus in instances using seduction to hold aggro I think... maybe that? They make a nice whipping sound too lol

whipping sound ftw

• Advertisement

aye, but they die in no time at all. And can only pull one target at a time. A VW can pull everything around it :)

Wait till you are fighting elites, or players... then the VW becomes useless and the succubus becomes imbamode ;)

Im often in BG and fighting elites. VW pull elites no hassle, shame the players arnt that stupid. But thats why i send in the VW first, and i stand back and slap on some immolate and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Faylum, Pallys are one of the most versatile classes in the game. They are the best single player healers, you can go Tankadin and since the new patch Shockadins are the business. Everyone loves a Pally becase of the buffs they give out as well.

Tell your mate to go all out on Retri till he hit's level 40 then respec to Prot (shockadin) and if he wants to do raids, go Holy around say level 68ish.

Pallys are fab against Melee attacks, against casters they suck though.
    As a shockadin you should be able to take on 5 melee mobs simultaniously and come out with full mana/health (if you do it right).

Yea prolly.
    I've never level'd any other character than my mage and a lock. So i just repeat what i hear from other. :P
    But can you atleast point out all the things i said wrong? So i may share your wisdom and become a great noble knight such as yourself? Crusader of the forums! haha xD

Oh, I missed this particular comment, I had just finished replying to your other innane and semi-retarded post from another thread so wasnt really in the mood to reply to this, but if you insist...

There are no best classes. There are best classes for specific roles and specific encounters and specific situations. But there is no class that you can just put a rubber stamp on and say "this is the best class".

Furthermore, I'd like to hear your sources or what research you did as to how you decided these were the best 3 classes in the game... You are helping to affect someones decisions and their future understanding of the game, you shouldnt take that so lightly by throwing around some random rubbish that you "heard".

Uhm... what?

Aside from the fact that you start by saying druids are not needed at all, you then go on to say that in your opinion they are better than warriors who cant reach the armour cap. Our current MT, a warrior, in T5 and some T6 gear is on roughly 20k raid buffed. He has a LONG, LONG, LONG way to go before he hits the armour cap, if at all.

In addition, Druids are one of, if not the best, arena healer in the game at the moment. Immunity to polymorph, snares, roots, spell interrupts, poisons and mana burns. Combined with a permanent speed boost, a temporary even faster speed boost, stupidly high survivability (that cant be dispelled lol) an instant cast big heal with a 3 minute cooldown, an instant cast heal with a 15 second cooldown, their own Crowd control (which is also the best crowd control in the game, undispellable, cannot ice block or divine shield out of and prevents you from being healed) and their own root spell.

Shamans. Shamans have amazing utility to a raid or otherwise, as enhancement (or otherwise, think bloodlust). Restoration shield is very powerful, chain heal, chain lightning, frost shock, totems, elemental pets, so on and so on.
    Paladins are good but unless you wana be holy spec for PvE i suggest you dont pick one.

This is the part that particularly tickled my gonads. I am currently a protection spec'd paladin tank, farming T5 content and half way through T6 content. I also, as Dustaz pointed out on another thread, am on a 3v3 team with higher rating than you...
    Retribution paladins are imba but you need mint gear to be able to do any real damage, while protection paladins are also good they are still frown'd upon by most people and guilds.

Again, they are imbalanced and yet they need mint gear "to do any real damage? What part of this statement makes sense to you?

If you really want a good and fun class, not to mention a class that can do sick damage and level very fast, with little or no help for group quests, i would opt for Warlock, Hunter or Mage.

This is possibly the most accurate statement you have made in this post and it is still false! Mages are not among the fastest levelers in the game. That is probably somewhere along the lines of:
    Hunter
    Druid
    Warlock
    Rogue

depending on spec and path chosen to level.
    Each one is skilled at grinding large amounts of mobs when at 70 and grinding for your epic mount. But they are also alot of fun, altho i hate locks i am aware they are a good class to have. While mages are one of the most fun classes to PvP with or just go grinding, also not having to buy food or water, being able to blink around when your lvl11

http://www.wowhead.com/?search=blink#abilities
    Blink is learned at level 20, you'd think having a 70 mage you would know that...

And yes, because people should chose their class because they dont have to buy food or water...

and teleporting like a mad man is always good for avoiding long waits at zepplins and ships.

Again, any class that isnt as "good" as the class you perceive as "the best" is clearly crap. What sort of rubbish is this? Druids bring alot more than dps to the table, when they are there to dps. They are sick healers and awesome tanks.
    And again with the speel about gear. Every class is good with the right gear and every class is pretty ****ty without it, when compared to someone that has decent gear... Is that where you've gone wrong?

Pick a warlock because, it will make you overpowered. How, why, in what way? Will you be able to leap buildings in a single bound? Or run faster than the speed of light? I know, shoot fireballs from your ass and lightning from your eyes?

In summary:

Every class has their own strengths and weaknesses, it is up to you to figure out what you will get the most enjoyment out to decide what class you want to play.

Now, from my experience, having played a paladin you are probably in one of 3 camps.

A) You love healing and would like some more.

Then I'd suggest rolling any of the 3 other healing classes. Druids are particularly versatile and have alot of capabilities in pvp/pve, thus giving you the ability to try out healing, changing to tanking or dps if you prefer. They are also quite alot of fun to heal as.

B) Arer sick of healing

Then I'd suggest trying a pure dps class
    I.e. a rogue, mage, warlock and to a lesser extent a warrior. This will give you plenty oppurtunity to put out large amounts of damage. Obviously their survivability varies and as a paladin I think I can relate most to my mage in that my survivability is quite comparable. Next is the rogue as double vanish etc. is incredibly powerful. Additionally the warrior uses plate and the warlock has fear and deathcoil. Very powerful survival tools. Its a pretty tough choice to be fair and not one to be entered into lightly, or because "lol locks are overpowered".

C) You enjoyed being a hybrid or are somewhere in the middle.

Then I would definitely recommend any of the hybrid classes in the game. However, I would also include priests within this very limited category.

So, priest, druid, or shaman :)

Priest have very powerful dps capabilities, are very solid arena healers and are one of the best pve healers in the game.

Druid I've already spoken about at length but needless to say, they can tank, heal or dps. Sometimes all 3 in the one fight.

And then we have shamans. With the right spec you have an incredible capacity for burst healing or burst damage at your disposal. With the change to spell damage on your +healing items, this can make you a very formidable class in the right hands. Totems add to your own capabilties while also making those party members around you even more powerful too. Not something to be sniffed at and quite similar to paladins except with a more offensive twist on them and alot more versaitility in both their damage options, their leveling options and definitely their healing options ;)

I know this post has completely wandered off topic and I assure you I have not made it my life-long mission to follow Faylum around and mock his uninformednessness... but rather I had made the decision to correct a few of us more glaring mistakes in a previous thread and had decided to ignore his ones in this thread, until called out... :p

Anyway, enjoy. Hope it helps someone.

No every little bit helps Ivan. Pretty well rounded post I think. I would probably search the WoW forums but anything specifically related to games is blocked in work and when I go home I just want to chill out after a... erm hard days work :) So forgive some of my lamo questions I may ask here, it's not me being lazy, just an access issue really lol. Definitely helps my decision so will probably roll one later in the week.

As an aside, I took my bro through DM there 2 or 3 nights ago. Got him some good gear pickups he can use. Unfortunately even when we weren't grouped and he would AoE targets and I would go in and smack them, he'd still get crap xp. Only thing I can think of doing is letting him pull mobs and i can heal him in order to get the max benefit out of it. Or either fast level this druid I make and join him questing. Would like to quest lower levels in Kalimdor though as I haven't done it before.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

layke wrote: »
    Tell your mate to go all out on Retri till he hit's level 40 then respec to Prot (shockadin) and if he wants to do raids, go Holy around say level 68ish.

Shockadin = 40 holy/21 ret (the name comes from using Holy Shock as a primary nuke) :p
    I levelled from 60-70 as holy, probably made me a far better healer, but the grinding speed is painful.

I leveled from 58 to 70 as a shockadin. Main healed instances a ton of times, even tanked Underbog and Slave Pens a few times.

I was conjuring mana on my mage until I was blue in the face, but without it I can only imagine the torture that it would have been :)

The sad part is, there arent really any better options at that stage.

Advertisement