Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asset Management System

Options
  • 19-11-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am looking for some sort of GPS equipment (I believe they are known as asset tracking/management devices) which will allow me to enter my own information (such as a serial number) and send that data with the GPS positional data (longitude and latitude) to a URL with the information contained in either the header or the URL preferably, or anywhere else within this page.

The GPS equipment needs to be hand held but other then that, there are no other real requirements.

Any help you could give me on this would be hugely beneficial to me.

Also, if there are any other terms for this type of device I would be much obliged if you could let me know what they are.

Thanks in advance,
    Jordash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

just starting to look at GPS stuff at the moment for a college project but you might do a search for gps data loggers they record positions some can phone in their data using mobile phone network afaik.

they are used in things like security systems for expensive cars, package tracking .

at the moment that is all I know:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jordash

Thanks a million, gps data loggers is a term I hadnt come across. I'll try googling it.

Turns out that most Irish suppliers I emailed or called had never heard of anything that might work, and in general were actually quite unhelpful, there were only 3 out of around ten who got back to me within 8 days (if they even did get back to me). I wasn't very impressed.

If any one knows of a very helpful GPS supplier, please let me know.

sheesh, if you come across any further info regarding my needs during your research, it would be awesome (yeah, im bringing that word back:D) if you could let me know.

Jordash

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Jordash,

What application have you in mind for this. There are a few companies that spring to mind that may offer something along the lines that you are looking for;

www.safecom.ie

www.smarttrack.ie

www.omniscout.ie

However, how do you propose to enter in the serial number or w/e? Is it a fixed code you will be entering or dynamic.

Have you looked at the o2 Orbit XDA...it has an in-built GPS receiver which when paired with Pocket PC creations might provide a solution for you.

Another consideration may be whether you need this unit to be rechargable or work on batteries.

Advertisement