Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else that cannot wear contacts?

Options
  • 18-11-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is this a common problem?

Ive been trying on and off for years to wear contacts, tried daily, weekly, monthly and all the different types for dry eyes.

no matter what ones i try, after about 3 hours my eyes get really irritated and i have to take them out, am i just wierd?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

According to my optician about 10% of people can't wear them for various reasons. Even though the lens solution is harmless, my eyes have some sort of weird chemical reaction to it. The last time I tried lenses the optician was putting one in and I told him to take it out immediately because it hurt so much. He said that it wasn't even in and that a tiny amount of solution had dripped into my eye and was causing the pain. He told me he'd heard of this happening before, but in all his years as an optician had never seen it himself, so that made me feel special :D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Me!!

But for a different reason. I have a stygmatism in one eye and they haven't gotten around to making a contact for my degree of stygmatism ....yet.

Contacts would be so much easier for work :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can wear them but I just can't get the bloody things in my eye without blinking. I could do it fine in the opticians, but the moment I got home I just couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

I had the same problem, but now they make monthly lenses the strength I need. Whats your prescription?
    Rogueish wrote: »
    Me!!

But for a different reason. I have a stygmatism in one eye and they haven't gotten around to making a contact for my degree of stygmatism ....yet.

Contacts would be so much easier for work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I'm not sure what my prescription is. It's not too bad I can do everything without my glasses, they just bring everything into fine focus.

The type of work I do I sometimes need to keep an eye on things/people in the distance while in the outdoors. In bad weather this is very difficult. When I'm working indoors I keep getting them smudged with oils, which if I don't have an alcohol wipe handy is a nightmare to get off.

As of earlier on this year they still hadn't made a contact for my degree of stygmatism. Even if they do I don't know how good I'll be putting them in and taking them out.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I can't either- apparently my eyes are to dry for the strength I need. The world can be so pretty when blind though......I don't mind my glasses that much anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I can't because I'm terrified by even the thought of putting them in, or worse getting them out!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

You can get little 30ml bottles of "eye rewetting drops" for contact lens wearers. My eyes get dry and i just put one drop in each and theyre good as new again! only costs about 7 euro!

Advertisement