Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Building in Africa

Options
  • 18-11-2007 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Ok people I want a good response from this.....Im leading a group of young people (over 21) to Malawi for 2 weeks next July and im looking for around 10 people from who can make meetings in Dundalk or Armagh to come with us. It is for the house building charity Habitat for Humanity which is a cross community, christian organisation which strives to provide proper shelter for the more unfortunate people in the world. I was a volunteer on a similar trip in Uganda in the summer just passed and the experience was unreal and as well as building 4 houses in 7 working days, we had serious craic...(really I couldnt do it justice by trying to describe it) and as such ive decided to do it next year! So if you want more information or would like to meet me for an application form then please send me a message and I would be delighted to hear from you! Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭o Diablo o

Ive thought about doin that but I've no experience in construction. I assume thats a dealbreaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Diablo I've been on these type of trips before and I don't have any construction skills.

Can you use a shovel, lift blocks, mix cement there usually a place for everone on this trips. But of course the OP will have to confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ok people I want a good response from this.....Im leading a group of young people (over 21) to Malawi for 2 weeks next July and im looking for around 10 people from who can make meetings in Dundalk or Armagh to come with us. It is for the house building charity Habitat for Humanity which is a cross community, christian organisation which strives to provide proper shelter for the more unfortunate people in the world. I was a volunteer on a similar trip in Uganda in the summer just passed and the experience was unreal and as well as building 4 houses in 7 working days, we had serious craic...(really I couldnt do it justice by trying to describe it) and as such ive decided to do it next year! So if you want more information or would like to meet me for an application form then please send me a message and I would be delighted to hear from you! Thanks for reading
    A good response. I'll go and volunteer as I am quite skilled in building.
    But first I'd like to know of any charitable building projects you have
    undertaken for those less fortunate than yourself in Dundalk or Armagh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

We have built houses as part of our training in Belfast on the Shankhill but honestly other than that we have'nt but if you know of any such building projects in the locality then let me know as I actually dont know of any but of course I would love to build for my fellow Dundalk dwellers. Building skills are greatly received but not essential for anyone thinking they need to be a tradesperson!

Fair play to you...
    My advice would be to start here
    in Ireland and work your way to other places.
    I think it would be greater appreciated to be honest...

Best of luck...

• Advertisement

Just to let you know that the deadline for people wanting to put their name forward for next year is friday Nov 30th. There are still 4 places left.

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Fair play to you. These kind of things are great, and having just returned from south Africa on one, I assure everyone, absolutely loads of fun.

As for Walshb... As a person who has been involved with charities both here and working with the truely poor from other countries, I couldn't disagree more. On a scale of me... to the poor of south africa, no one is poor in Ireland.

Really, so the Mellon trust isn't causing more damn harm in these countries and it has been exposed very recently as causing harm. Have you read the papers?
    Corruption and more corruption and the problem is the Irish and westerners trying to take over in these countries?

Yes South Africa is so poor that they only go and dominate in the rugby world cup and have the capability and money and infrastructure and leadership to HOST the world cup. Oh and let's not forget their vast gold reserves and diamond mines etc etc etc...

I dont disagree with what your saying but I, nor my team are part of the Mellon trust and until you read any valid information about my charity (Habitat for Humanity) then I would prefer not to be tarred with the same brush as any other charities which did cause harm.

Thanks

I never meant to imply any suspicion on your charity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 corklady

I'd love to get involved in something like this. Unfortunately I'm in Cork so wouldn't be able to join your team. But would you mind telling me how much it costs to do it? I know a lot of organisations look for a huge amount of money to do this kinda thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am thinkin of heading out on that Niall Melon thingy this year, how difficult would you lads think raising 5k would be??

Just feel we don't realise how good we have it so 1 week cud change these peoples lives, fair play to you OP for doing this. I am no trademan but sure I can still dig in.

Advertisement