Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire Technology

Options
  • 18-11-2007 2:35pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering. Everything in it is so real but the way they do the wire taps and what not is all that possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Of course it is - have you not been watching any of the CSI franchises lately?
    Technology has obviously improved immensely :p.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Of course it is - have you not been watching any of the CSI franchises lately?
    Technology has obviously improved immensely :p.

Dont make me laugh CSI!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

kearnsr wrote: »
    Dont make me laugh CSI!

You need to switch on your sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek detection plug-ins there kearnsr ;).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd be very surprised if this show, incredibly accurate, messed up in its central area. They're not doing anything outlandish with the wire taps and they had to jump through numerous hoops to get the wire taps in the first place (unlike other shows where they install them with abandon).
    Remember this is a show where once some viewer, with a law background, argued over the statute that a minor character got arrested for, only for David Simon to point out that no, they were wrong because the actor playing the character had been arrested for that exact law. They know their stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ixoy wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if this show, incredibly accurate, messed up in its central area. They're not doing anything outlandish with the wire taps and they had to jump through numerous hoops to get the wire taps in the first place (unlike other shows where they install them with abandon).
    Remember this is a show where once some viewer, with a law background, argued over the statute that a minor character got arrested for, only for David Simon to point out that no, they were wrong because the actor playing the character had been arrested for that exact law. They know their stuff.

i would hope they wouldnt have got it wrong but I wouldn have a clue and was just wondering if any one ever spotted anything

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

kearnsr wrote: »
    i would hope they wouldnt have got it wrong but I wouldn have a clue and was just wondering if any one ever spotted anything
    I have faith :)

Little things that I noticed (and liked) was the realistic use of computers in the show. For example, in S2, they have an application to show cargo movements and it's quite realistic looking - simple but communicates the informaiton. Mostly, in US shows, the applications they use are ridiculous and full of beeping flashing crap.
    The wire taps in this have never been that sophisticated. They'll normally have used line of sight, in some form, to catch information and the quality they picked up wasn't always great. The drug dealers would clone/dump mobiles and that seemed right too rather than "tap the Internet!" that other shows would use.

I've seen it on other forums where US cops would say that "The Wire" is the only show to pretty much get policing exactly right, so I'd really think they got this one right too. I believe so much, I'm going to sanctify it and call it Saint Wire...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I agree with the poster about the ridicolous applications some US shows have.
    Like when someone checks their email and there's a fecking massive YOU HAVE MAIL message that takes up the entire screen.

Advertisement