Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new sat nav

Options
  • 18-11-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

Hi my g/f is buying me a sat nav for christmas.
    i have more or less settled on the Garmin 250w unless yea think different.

what i want to know is, ive heard that i would be better waiting until after christmas as there bringing out new maps. is this right?

i will be using it mostly in Ireland on backroads so it needs to be able to show these. Occasionaly France and England.

Being a plumber you never know where i would be working.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

With regards to the maps. Dont register your unit until you know that Garmin are sending out the new updats disks. And then when you do register your unit, put down your date of purchase for a date after the maps have been released.

Navteq have the best coverage for Ireland in my opinion and thats who Garmin use. You should be fine with the 250w.

The 250w does does have Bluetooth and also will not name out the streets for you, other than that, it uses the same interface as the rest of the Nuvi range.

Pixmania seem to offer the best value on the 250w at the moment.

Or if you are not pushed on the bigger screen, you could go for the normal 250 for €177.

I hope I answered your questions, and best of luck on whichever unit you decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

This may sound stupid but i can still use the unit before i register it?

Dont need bluetooth. as for street names which model does this?

I want the widescreen units.

This may sound stupid but i can still use the unit before i register it?

Yes you can.
    Dont need bluetooth. as for street names which model does this?

The Nuvi 350, 360, 370 and the 650, 660, 670 to name a few.
    I want the widescreen units

Well you wont go far wrong with the 250w. It actually a very good unit for the money. Remember though, you wont get the case, usb cable or mains charger with any of the 2xx series.

Right i would like to have the extra items what model would you reccomend bearing in mind i would rather the bigest screen possible.

Well to be honest. A standard digital camera USB cable works for it and if you are using it in the car/van most of the time, the car charger would probably do you fine.

• Advertisement

cheers for the info. might stay with the 250w.

Advertisement