Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garmin nuvi 300 for 199 from expert stores, any good?

Options
  • 17-11-2007 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭

is the nuvi 300 worth 199 or is the cheap price due to out of date maps and model? i hear garmin are the best for Irish roads...looking for either my first sat nav or possibly a xmas pressie :)? i see komplett have the 250 for €230, is it worth the extra money? im willing to spend €250 max and has to be good in rural areas. any help would be welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Regardless of whether it has out of date maps or not, you will be able to avail of the new maps FOC providing you don't register the unit until after the new maps have been released on an update DVD.

With regards to whether the nuvi 250 is better value that would be your call really. The 250 comes preloaded with European maps where as the 300 only comes with UK & Ire.

Have a look at the comparison of both units.

the 250w is slightly cheaper from pixmania

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the 300 seems pretty well spec'ed i must say. the headphone jack could be handy too as i could plug the gps into my sony radio. 250w screen would be nice too though.......

i see the 250 is now 177 on piximania. another question aquos, is the nuvi 300T model on your link different to the nuvi 300 model in stores?

Normally the "T" stands for traffic and included with the unit is the traffic receiver. I only linked the Nuvi300 model and not the 300T

no problem once the other features are still there! the 300 is looking good in my eyes. thanks for that comparsion page, i would never have known the specs otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Regardless of whether it has out of date maps or not, you will be able to avail of the new maps FOC providing you don't register the unit until after the new maps have been released on an update DVD.

With regards to whether the nuvi 250 is better value that would be your call really. The 250 comes preloaded with European maps where as the 300 only comes with UK & Ire.

Have a look at the comparison of both units.

the 250w is slightly cheaper from pixmania

How would one go about requesting the update dvd, would i have to show proof of purchase inc date? Whats the longest i could wait before registering and could the unit be used without registering(i don't think my last one could) Thanks.

macshadow wrote: »
    How would one go about requesting the update dvd, would i have to show proof of purchase inc date? Whats the longest i could wait before registering and could the unit be used without registering(i don't think my last one could) Thanks.

First off the unit can be used without registering in. With regards to how long you could wait, Well last year, I waited 7 months before registering a unit and I was able to avail of the update to V9 maps disc FOC. My current unit I have since July and have yet to register it.

With regards to showing proof of purchase, I didn't. I just had to fill in date of purchase(remember to make sure this date is after the map release date) and from where it was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Thank for that info Aquos. Just one more question, do i just contact garmin and say the unit i bought should have newer maps and can i have an update dvd.Thanks:)

No, its all done through the Garmin website there is a section on there called mygarmin, when you sign up for an account it asks you if you have any units you want to register. From the serial number provided, it then tells you if there is any updates available for you unit, and then how to go about getting them.

Advertisement