Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get pups?

Options
  • 17-11-2007 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Where can I buys small pups in Dublin?pups that will stay small and a breed that will get on well with cats:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Try your local animal shelter. Also, any dog will get on well with cats if they're raised with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foxface

my advice would be: dont buy. any pup-no matter what breed-will get on with the cat in residence if he/shes young enough. as a contribution to the "stop breeding by numbers" campaign (made up by myself just there), would it not be nicer to take in a dog who might be put down tomorrow morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

www.dogsindistress.org (go to the 'old forum' because the new one is terrible, there's a button to click on at the right hand corner of the site).

And www.petsireland.invisionzone.net

There's also the DSPCA (GOOGLE them).

Raised properly all dogs will get along just fine with cats. Also some of the older dogs on those sites will have grown up with cats and the shelter's will probably know if thats the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

or to actually answer your question as where to buy!!!

To adopt or rescue try the above sites.

To buy firstly decide on the breed, research the breed, contact kennel clubs, TRY find a reputable breeder.
    search around in popular sites like dondeal or irishmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Mairt wrote: »

There's also the DSPCA (GOOGLE them).

www.dspca.ie

There you go!

Great place in Rathfarnham, loads of lovely dogs for re-homing and couple pups there too (2 weeks ago) - give them a buzz and ask....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

thanks for all your advice,i will be getting a beagle pup in Wicklow on Friday

would anybody be able to tell me important things about this breed?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Would you not consider getting a rescued puppy? they really need homes unlike dogs from a breeder who aren't in danger of being killed.

A beagle isn't exactly small either, more medium as they are about knee-high. you should really do some research about the breed/type your interested in and also dog keeping in general rather than just pick a random breed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭fits

Also have you researched the breeder?

It just seems like a very random choice and you could *easily* end up with an unhealthy pup from a puppy farm if you dont put in the work and research.

Beagles are lovely, but they're high maintenance hunting dogs... Be sure you understand what you're getting into.

i have considered a rescue dog and went to the DSPCA and other shelters but didnt find what i was looking for,i was looking for a beagle anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

i have a german shepard cross and he gets on great with my cat

they get on fine

i don't think size matters as to weather a cat and dog will get on

• Advertisement

Did you try looking in the pounds?
    as fits said, beagles are a hunting breed and require a good amount of excersize and mental stimulation like other working breeds.....
    have you been to the breeders kennels/seen the breeding dogs etc?

The only reason i said a small dog is because i used to have a labrador and he was too big

i know beagles need lots of excercise,i will be going up to look at pups on friday:D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Seriously though, just so you know, beagles are hard work, the are tenacious hunters and will follow a scent to the ends of the earth!! They need loads of exercise, preferably in fields, or rural areas, where they can have a good rummage in the undergrowth. I had one for 10 years, he was more work than the two huge greyhounds that I have now, and he definitely wasn't cat friendly!!!

Well hopefully it's not a puppy farm..... make sure the dogs are either living in the house or have really nice kennels, and if the breeder is breeding several types of dogs be wary.....

The joys of animal ownership is multiplied a thousend times (and more) when its a rescue.

Last year something like 18 thousend dogs were put to sleep (killed) in Ireland. The pounds and shelter are bursting at the seams with beautiful dogs and cats looking for their 'forever homes'.

XxlauraxX wrote: »
    The only reason i said a small dog is because i used to have a labrador and he was too big

So what did you do to him?.

What Mairt said. A rescued dog will be so grateful to find a permanent home, and it's much more rewarding knowing you've rescued a dog from possibly being killed, rather than just buying a puppy. I guess you'll be paying a couple of hundred for this pup? If you were to get a puppy from a rescue and donate that much the rescue could do so much good with it for other dogs but a breeder won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Where can I buys small pups in Dublin?pups that will stay small and a breed that will get on well with cats:confused:
    from a female dog !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

We were in the same position a few weeks back and we had fantastic feed back from this forum, I ended up contacting local vets who found us a dog who was 100% used to cats as he knew the back ground and the previous owner was also on hand to answer any questions.
    Non one doubts that rescues do a great job, but our experience turned out to be a bit of a night mare, the cat friendly dog tried to "taste the cats at every opportunity, after consulting with a dog trainer, she advised us to return the dog, we were made to feel like we didn't put enough effort in, despite having the dog for 2 weeks, the dog didn't react like that to cats with THEM!!!!
    I was told the dog had been cat tested..I am unsure what that involves, have visions of a dog being shown a cat and if he doesn't eat it well and good :)..I'm sure it's a bit more controlled than that.
    Any way we found an adorable loving dog via a vet. Please do not take this up the wrong way but I think there can be a lot of emotion regarding a rescue dog, they are not for every ones situation and if you do get a rescue dog make sure you have 24/7 back up and advice.
    Good luck.
    PS..Our other dog is a rescue dog and with proper training he has turned out eventually to be a dream with the cats, but be willing to put in some hard work, it's worth while in the end.
    Seb

hi this is my dog the first day i got him and now he is 9 months and he is getting on fine

DSC00399-1.jpg

DSC00393.jpg

• Advertisement

Lovely dog Laura, did you rescue or buy him in the end?.

thanks mairt:) bought him but i might be getting a rescued dog in about a year or so :D:D:D:D:D

we looked in every shelter and just didn't see anything we liked there was a lot of Grey hounds any way im happy with Harvey and that's all that matters:D

He is a cute little guy. Whats wrong with Greyhounds though? I think they seem like brilliant pets.

we looked in every shelter and just didn't see anything we liked

I find it hard to believe that you looked in ''every shelter'' and didn't find anything you liked.

But either way, best of luck with Harvey - he looks like a little smasher.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    He is a cute little guy. Whats wrong with Greyhounds though? I think they seem like brilliant pets.

there was a lot of grey hounds in the shelter! there's nothing wrong with them

Mairt wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that you looked in ''every shelter'' and didn't find anything you liked.

But either way, best of luck with Harvey - he looks like a little smasher.

every shelter within my area

In the words of my hound "I sniff dog snobbery in this thread''..

If you decide to get a rescue the next time you should check out shelters in all counties ebcause if you get homechecked and your home is a good enough home then there will be plenty of people who would help you out with getting you're dog to you. I know when I look at these websites I'd take practically any of them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

there was a lot of grey hounds in the shelter! there's nothing wrong with them

I have had both greyhounds and a beagle, and just for the record, I'd take a GREYHOUND any day! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I think 10 greyhounds would be less trouble then a beagle TBH!

Advertisement