Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman+heavy box=?

Options
  • 15-11-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

I am posting this here to see if my thoughts are irrational or otherwise. Feel free to lambast, congratulate etc as you see fit.

Today in the office as I was working and minding my own business I saw a pregnant woman. It soon became clear that she needed to lift a box from one of the store rooms to her desk on another floor via a lift. She is not heavily pregnant but enough to be noticabe.

Now my dilemma starts here. One part of me wanted to jump up wrestle the box from her and carry it manly fashion (groaning for effect). However the other part of me thought if I jump up she will prbably think I am weird, say she is ok and keep going. Also I thought if she can work for me, or be my boss, or be CEO or be President of the US (Hillary Clinton fashion) then she is well able to lift a box.

I am confused and need advice for the next time this happens.
    NOTE : This time I did not offer to help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

make her lift the box
    women get pregnant so they can do less work I reckon, its the only reason I can think of .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Even if she graciously declined your offer and siad she was fine, wouldn't you have felt so much better for having offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

ahh, you've got to at least offer the fatty some help

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

You should have offered!!! Tsk tsk tsk!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Woman+heavy box=?

Droopy knickers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Offer. You will feel better. If she thinks your a wierdo thats her problem not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Droopy knickers?
    ba ha ha ha! made my day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

you should of offered, if she had said no all well and good, but even something as simple as you carrying the box for her could of easily made the difference to her day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Droopy knickers?

LOL :D:D:D My hero!

OP, you should have offered. Just cos she's capable of being elected president doesn't mean she can leap tall buildings in a single bound. There's a big difference between mental and physical skill. I'm assuming the woman didn't reach her position by a series of arm-wrestling matches.

Don't analyse it so much, just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

ah, this brings back very fond memories of The Office, and Gareth's health and Safety course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

She needs to lift the box herself for the sake of the baby. Doing a lot of excercise will make the baby healthier. If it was good enough for the Spartans, it's good enough for her. In fact, you should of thrown staplers and paper weights at her, to improve her training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Ya shoulda got in the box...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Pregnant wimmins?

Meh, it's what they're designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

dame wrote: »
    Even if she graciously declined your offer and siad she was fine, wouldn't you have felt so much better for having offered?

I know I would have. I'd say offer next time, either way its nice to be nice :D:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what nationality was she? I've worked in a few places where boxes needed to be lifted and I found if she was Irish and I offered to lift it for her she'd give me dirty looks as if I was insinuating she was weaker than me. But eastern europeans almost expected it of the males. I remember this hulk of a woman in one place who wouldn't lift a finger as anything heavier than bag of sugar should be lifted by a man, even if the man was half her size.

Also note, this is anecdotal evidence from my experiences, imo, count to 10, PC brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Always offer to help pregnant wimmins*.
    Kids these days :rolleyes:

*unless it means to pop down the shop to get booze and fags

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Offer to help her out, at least you know she is sexually active, probably a go-er.

She will likely offer you at least a handy shandy in the broom cupboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You should have grabbed her box.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

L31mr0d wrote: »
    what nationality was she? I've worked in a few places where boxes needed to be lifted and I found if she was Irish and I offered to lift it for her she'd give me dirty looks as if I was insinuating she was weaker than me. But eastern europeans almost expected it of the males. I remember this hulk of a woman in one place who wouldn't lift a finger as anything heavier than bag of sugar should be lifted by a man, even if the man was half her size.

Also note, this is anecdotal evidence from my experiences, imo, count to 10, PC brigade

Yea, I used to work in a bar with 2 Polish guys and they wouldn't let me lift anything heavy at all, even when I was saying it was ok and well able to manage they'd just take it off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

i would always offer a lady a hand with her box.

Not if she was ugly though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Right well thanks for all the thoughts. Mostly seem to be two camps - sexual innuendo and lift the box for her. Next time I will offer. I would have thought the feedback would have been a little bit more cerebral but such is life.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Was she hot and single?

And cerebral posting? In AH? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Hot no, single unknown. But I think you miss the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kmick wrote: »
    Right well thanks for all the thoughts. Mostly seem to be two camps - sexual innuendo and lift the box for her. Next time I will offer. I would have thought the feedback would have been a little bit more cerebral but such is life.

It wouldn't be AH without sexual innuendo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Chunks wrote: »
    ba ha ha ha! made my day! :)
    Really? Your days must be lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Of course you should offer to help. If she feels that you're diminishing her by offering to lift something heavy, she really hasn't much sense of her own value ;)

Heavy lifting isn't good when you're pregnant - puts you at risk of developing piles, apart from anything else.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

kmick wrote: »
    Hot no, single unknown. But I think you miss the point.

I think you miss your point. Or something. It's Ah, lighten up. If you wanted serious answers to troubling questioins, try Personal issues. If you want pictures of cats, post here.

On a seperate note, of course you'd offer. Unless they are lifting something inappropriate, like their boobs.

We need a lolcat search function actually. Now where's that feedback link...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

ah to hell with her, womens getting preggers is there own problem, its bad enough they get baby holidays too.

Hiring a woman within that 25-35 age bracket can nearly guarantee you paying her 6 months holidays for successfully getting fúcked. Then watch her not pull her weight in work for 7 months, only to get big long holidays to fight the sag.

Equal rights! give paid paternity leave of equivalent length or i say expect the fat bitches back in work after 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You were right to sit tight OP, remember she's lifting for 2 now so she's needs to lift more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Isn't there some legislation thing that if you're pregnant your workplace isn't meant to let you have much manual handling? I did a course last week and that was apoint that came up a few times...

Advertisement