Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD's on my Ipod

Options
  • 15-11-2007 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there's a way to watch DVD's on my Ipod.

I've a few family guy dvd's that'd make bus journies far more entertaining.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

your ipod only plays mp4 format files so you need to get a program that will convert your files from dvd format to mp4.

i haven't used such software yet but i know you will have a lot of options and hopefully somebody here can enlighten you with their past experiences on such software

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

handbrake will do the job nicely: http://handbrake.m0k.org/ direct DVD to ipod format ripping. Open source and excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that's a great link.

added to stickies up the top.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

:D It's one of the few remaining "old" video encoders, and it just keeps getting better and better wit every release.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guys, it keeps telling me to update my ".net" or something, does that ring any bells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

yeah Handbrake wasn't able to get passed the CSS on Napoleon Dynamite for me. I used Magic DVD Ripper to ge rid of the copyright and Videora to convert to Ipod format i that is any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

kceire wrote: »
    guys, it keeps telling me to update my ".net" or something, does that ring any bells?
    yes, i'm assuming Handbrake needs the .net framework for windows to run.

go to windows update and download it. think it's on version 3 now.

Cremo wrote: »
    yes, i'm assuming Handbrake needs the .net framework for windows to run.

go to windows update and download it. think it's on version 3 now.

news to me, i'm a mac / linux user :o

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

I bought DVD to Ipod Convertor from http://www.mp4converter.net It cost about 21 euro.

Tried Videora iPod touch Converter (freeware) which needs a dvd decrypter and it got to the end and reported an error.

The mp4converter is great, you can pick which format you want the video for, i.e, ipod touch, phone, classic or nano. You can pick by chapter of title. Well worth the 20 quid.

nulabert wrote: »
    I bought DVD to Ipod Convertor from http://www.mp4converter.net It cost about 21 euro.

Tried Videora iPod touch Converter (freeware) which needs a dvd decrypter and it got to the end and reported an error.

The mp4converter is great, you can pick which format you want the video for, i.e, ipod touch, phone, classic or nano. You can pick by chapter of title. Well worth the 20 quid.

i think i may have to go this route too, i have handbrake downloaded but when i pick my dvd drive as the source it doesnt pick anything up!!!

• Advertisement

i think i may have to go this route too, i have handbrake downloaded but when i pick my dvd drive as the source it doesnt pick anything up!!!

Its a very handy program.
    you literally browse to the dvd, pick the chapter or titles, select the ipod type screen size and hit rip. Even my mother could use this program!

Its a very handy program.
    you literally browse to the dvd, pick the chapter or titles, select the ipod type screen size and hit rip. Even my mother could use this program!

i will give it a try again tonight, maybe it was the jet lag kicking in over the weekend :D

just, tried it again!!!!

keep getting this messege : no titles found, please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copyright protected source :confused::confused::confused:

just, tried it again!!!!

keep getting this messege : no titles found, please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copyright protected source :confused::confused::confused:

DVD to Ipod converter mp4converter

Here are the steps i've used, hasn’t failed yet:

1. Click the add dvd button and browse to the dvd – don’t pick any folders just the top tree
    2. The titles and chapters should list in the screen
    3. Go to settings, preferences and in the DVD global tab un-tick the Detect Progressive 24 hz (you only have to do this the once, its to do with syncing picture and sound)
    4. if you want a full film, click on the line (the longest time… ) then go file and Rop selected.

There you have it. They have tech support at support@mp4converter.net if all else fails

DVD to Ipod converter mp4converter

Here are the steps i've used, hasn’t failed yet:

1. Click the add dvd button and browse to the dvd – don’t pick any folders just the top tree
    2. The titles and chapters should list in the screen
    3. Go to settings, preferences and in the DVD global tab un-tick the Detect Progressive 24 hz (you only have to do this the once, its to do with syncing picture and sound)
    4. if you want a full film, click on the line (the longest time… ) then go file and Rop selected.

There you have it. They have tech support at support@mp4converter.net if all else fails

thanks nulabert,

i used this last night http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/
    and then a DVD encrypter and it copied to my pc no probs and synced with the ipod and plays perfect but theres no sound :confused:

i will try handbrake again using your method and see how i get on.

thanks for all the help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 someguysayshell

Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice.

Going to give handbrake a go now.

Peter

Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice.

Going to give handbrake a go now.

Peter

hope you have better luck than me....im still trying to get it right!
    i have the conversion to MP4 sorted, but its the ripping of the DVD's that i cant get to work properly.

let us know how you get on.

I'm not sure what the problem is, perhaps it's copyright related? Whenever I rip a DVD using handbrake I just select the DVD drive as the source, set the output parametres and away it goes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 someguysayshell

hope you have better luck than me....im still trying to get it right!
    i have the conversion to MP4 sorted, but its the ripping of the DVD's that i cant get to work properly.

let us know how you get on.

I got it to work, it did say something about copy protected discs though and wouldn't let me work directly from a DVD.

I was able to work from an ISO file though.

Peter

Advertisement