Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye sight getting worse

Options
  • 15-11-2007 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I recently got my eyes tested and had to get glasses.... I need them for general use... driving, tv, etc.

I have them about 2-3 months now and find that when I don't have them on my sight has got much worse.

I used to have no real problem reading teletext or similar without the glasses but now it is a problem. Is this caused by the glasses? Can they make your sight worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

If you are under 21 your eyesight will get worse very quickly, This happened to me, I needed new glasses almost every 6 months, optician recommended 'Hard' Lenses to slow down the deterioration - took a while to get used to them but it worked..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The problem with glasses is that when you use them, your eyes become lazy and dependent and your eyesight will get worse. We are told that the opposite should happen. Our eyes should repair themsleves and some day we will not need glasses? I have yet to meet anyone who this has happened to.
    Its all a big conspiracy to get you to keep getting new glasses or lenses etc. :D
    Laser eye surgery. It will cost a lot yes, but you could spend that over the next 4 years or so on glasses or contacts so it will save you money in the end, besides you get about half back in tax rebates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

jameshayes wrote: »
    If you are under 21 your eyesight will get worse very quickly, This happened to me, I needed new glasses almost every 6 months, optician recommended 'Hard' Lenses to slow down the deterioration - took a while to get used to them but it worked..

well past 21... 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Saruman wrote: »
    The problem with glasses is that when you use them, your eyes become lazy and dependent and your eyesight will get worse. We are told that the opposite should happen. Our eyes should repair themsleves and some day we will not need glasses? I have yet to meet anyone who this has happened to.
    Its all a big conspiracy to get you to keep getting new glasses or lenses etc. :D
    Laser eye surgery. It will cost a lot yes, but you could spend that over the next 4 years or so on glasses or contacts so it will save you money in the end, besides you get about half back in tax rebates.

I have heard some bad things about the company I used for eye test... A big well known crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Your eye sigh goes through various stages of deterioration so i've been told.

mine's been mighty sh*te for the last 3 years, not been happy with my prescription at all. definitely getting laser in a few years. know a few people who have had it very successfully and are very happy now

• Advertisement
Advertisement