Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Sale of goods in Hotel

Options
  • 15-11-2007 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Apoligies if this is not the right forum for posting this.
    Got a leaflet in the door yesterday advertising a huge sale of goods in a hotel in Cork this Sunday coming.
    The products include 42" LCD TV's from €50, DS from €50, golf clubs,anything you could imagine for next to nothing.
    Seem to remember something like this a while back as well.
    Any info, is it a scam, are the goods broken etc or is it legit??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

yes, scam
    they always are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Scam orchestrated by British Scumbags - went to one once, its just 8-10 UK Knackers displaying some seriously nice electrical goods [never sold/or sold at normal retail prices] at the front of the room while sales-talking the poor punters into buying crappy fire-hazard Hong-Kong factory seconds at the same time :mad:

- I think they even have plants where one of their mates is in the audience suddenly "buys" a 37" Samsung for €450 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Avoid like the plague. :eek:

If its too good to be true and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Scam dont even bother going.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I've been to one in Cork down a street by the south mall a few years ago, total scam, avoid, the flyers with the cheap goods are just to get people in the door, raiser described it perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Scam, take it from me, total scam and popular around Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's possible. I was staying in Blarney a couple of weeks ago and there was a hotel that was shutting down that week.

Chances are it's crap tho.

[edit]scratch that - I misread the post. I thought it was the goods of a hotel - not a sale in a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

I can remember one of these around my local area when I was young. Are there new suckers for these lads every year. You would surely think that the word of mouth of this scam would mean they would have died out by now. Obviously its worth their time to set them up each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OP, you probably would have been better posting it in 'Consumer issues'
    as that's where any follow up posts after the event will most likely go.

These hotel sales/auctions are well known scams where the seller preys
    upon people have worked themselves up into a buying frenzy and who
    are keen to get a bargain at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How can people be so stupid to think they'll get an LCD tv for 50 quid?
    Does the fact you have to pay 20 quid to get in, and another amount for a catalogue not ring alarm bells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

surely the hotels know this is a scam also, doestn say much for them that they willing to allow their names to be used in order to gain the rental fees for the hall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I went to one of these in the Red Cow a few years back... got a flier in the door says tv's starting at €20 PS2's for €20 etc etc... on the night the truck that was bringing the high end stuff was stuck in traffic... Honest excuse and I'm sure the people who went on the other nights got great bargains!! I think not!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Went to one last year - bought a lawnmower, got it home all seemed grand - tried using it and it made some funky noises - lasted about 3 weeks but sure we had no come back - BIG SCAM avoid!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

one in clonmel few years ago, same as, scam city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

got a similar leaflet in the door yesterday advertising a

"not to be missed wholesale & high street stock clearence for 1 day only"

in a hotel in portlaoise next sunday. three sales advertised starting at 11am 2pm and 6pm.there is a €2 admission fee and up to 46inch plasma and lcd televisions for €10-€50 HP Laptops and pc's for as little as €50 along with loads of other "bargains" including household goods and garden equipment car entertainment systems etc etc! sounds like an argos roadshow!

the leaflet mentions Ringly Trading LTD as the sellers and gives their address as Kellar house staplestown road Carlow, it also gives a vat number IE9660428D and weeee number RIN100 and also stating "permit issued by department of enterprise and employment"!

maybe this is genuine or maybe if it looks too good to be true it most probably is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Scam with a capital S.

Big thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

This comes up here a lot.
    It's SORT OF legitimate, in that it's a real company, they're not stolen goods, and you can buy them, but there's no bargains to be had, really. As mentioned above, people planted in the crowd get the first few bargains, and after that it's mostly cheap chinese knockoffs at higher-than-you'd-pay-if-you-knew-what-it-was prices :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

foggy_lad wrote: »
    got a similar leaflet in the door yesterday advertising a

"not to be missed wholesale & high street stock clearence for 1 day only"

in a hotel in portlaoise next sunday. three sales advertised starting at 11am 2pm and 6pm.there is a €2 admission fee and up to 46inch plasma and lcd televisions for €10-€50 HP Laptops and pc's for as little as €50 along with loads of other "bargains" including household goods and garden equipment car entertainment systems etc etc! sounds like an argos roadshow!

the leaflet mentions Ringly Trading LTD as the sellers and gives their address as Kellar house staplestown road Carlow, it also gives a vat number IE9660428D and weeee number RIN100 and also stating "permit issued by department of enterprise and employment"!

maybe this is genuine or maybe if it looks too good to be true it most probably is?

The VAT number checks out and they're listed on the WEEE Ireland list but that means very little.

While the whole thing is a scam the reality is that a company could trade like this without being noticed for a long time before they're caught - it would take undercover work to prove that they have plants or aren't offering the advertised merchandise etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the leaflet says it is a sale but also says "all prices shown are lower reserve prices which include 15% sales commission and VAT at the standard rate" so it appears to be more of an auction than a regular sale,

so i presume those prices will rise substantially as people bid for them like in the so-called "dutch auctions" which were banned some years ago or so i thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

muffler wrote: »
    Avoid like the plague. :eek:

If its too good to be true and all that

+1, them 'sales' are a total waste of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

also they have entrance fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

They used to run these on Tottenham Court Road years ago they'd entice you in lock the door and wouldn't let you out and then try to sell you absolute crap very intimidating if you questioned them or tried to leave.
    Scumbags - hotels shouldn't allow them

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Went to one of these some years back and paid a small amount in and a Fiver for what was supposed to be a huge amount of gear and they handed out a cig lighter at the end of the SCAM to anyone who paid it....so being in the Nightclub security business at the time, myself and 2 mates went round the back of the hotel where the CROOKS were speedily packing a lorry and we nicely persuaded them to give us back our money and a bit extra for the hassle they caused us. And you know what? those nice CROOKS were only too glad to give the money,,,and then we went back and shouted to the crowd if anyone wanted their money back, just follow us...hee hee hee...and they paid everyone who did...and funny enough, they never came back to that hotel again, and I cant for the life of me think why? LOL

So if you do go to one of these SCAMS, just bring some heavies who can stand up to them and give them a taste of IRISH JUSTICE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

notagain.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

ibtl_2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement