Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye issue - advice needed

• 14-11-2007 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem my father is having with his eyes. He won't go to a doctor but I am very concerned about it. He is almost 70 and has never worn glasses.

One day last week when he woke up, he knew there was something wrong or different but it took a few hours before he realised it was his eyes.

Initially he was very dizzy / disorientated when walking but that has settled down a bit.

Since then he has had a problem with his vision. Basically, it is like a small section of his vision is distorted. When he is looking straight ahead, there is a section of his vision distorted. He describes it like when a splash of water hits the television camera during horse racing - except it is there all the time.
    He has had this now for about a week. He doesn't have any other symptons.

This occurs in both eyes, and when he closes his eyes, he can still kind of see it. Therefore I don't think this is a vision problem.

He went to an optician last week who said that there is a slight delay in the speed of information being passed to the brain from both eyes and gave him glasses to wear for reading and driving. He has worn these ever since but it makes no difference. He doesn't have floaters or halos or anything like that.

I am very concerned that he may have had a minor brain haemorage / stroke.

If anyone can advise me at all, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Hi Jen,
    I'm the mod of this forum. Boards.ie has a strict policy of not giving medical advice, in order to avoid possible liability.
    Seek the advice of a medical professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Jen199

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I wasn't looking for advise so much as information as to what this might be. And if getting his to consult a medical professional was an option, it would have already been taken.

However, I understand where you are coming from and am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks
    Jen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jen199 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I wasn't looking for advise so much as information as to what this might be. And if getting his to consult a medical professional was an option, it would have already been taken.

We're not trained professionals so all we'd be doing is guesswork. The response we give could be spot on or it could be miles off and could be very damaging or fatal. This is why medical advice is not given out on boards. What's to stop some random person deliberately giving bad advice. It is just too risky. The only way to get good medical advice is to consult a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm going to lock this now. I hope your father gets better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement