Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train to Maynooth, Drogheda etc..

Options
  • 14-11-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Speaking for my observations in Pearse street station going northbound...

Why do the people getting the commuter trains like the ones to Maynooth or Drogheda insist on standing on the edge of the platform (where they think the doors will stop) even though there's more than one or two darts due to arrive at the platform before their commuter train?

When the Darts arrive there's a lot(i'm talking 5-10 people) standing in the way of the doors of the darts blocking the people getting off the darts and the people trying to get on the darts.

Why havent these people got the same kind of manners and respect as the majority of those people waiting for a Dart?

The excuse that their journey is longer so the need for a seat is greater is ridiculous! These people who refuse to move are the most ignorant people i've ever come across...

Is there anyone here who is guilty of standing and refusing to move when a dart pulls into the station?

Is there anyone who does move when a dart pulls into the station allowing others to get on and off?

Is there any dart users who are as pissed off about this as me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

The very same things happens on the green line luas it pulls into stephens green people charge the doors before anyone has even got off the luas because if they have to stand that maximum of thirty minutes the journey might take after sitting their fat asses down in an office all day they will die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Commuting and Transport forum tbh.

But, I hate people who get onto the bus before letting people off. It always happens on the 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Chunks wrote: »
    Speaking for my observations in Pearse street station going northbound...

Why do the people getting the commuter trains like the ones to Maynooth or Drogheda insist on standing on the edge of the platform (where they think the doors will stop) even though there's more than one or two darts due to arrive at the platform before their commuter train?

Been at this station and never noticed this. I always sit back at the wall until my train is next and most people do this that I've seen. There isn't a lot of space between the wall and the platform in some spots in Pearse compared to other station so I guess that might cause some of it if it occurs.

Mostly people crowding the doors are people trying to get on the next train.
    Why havent these people got the same kind of manners and respect as the majority of those people waiting for a Dart?

If it happens on Commuter trains then it happens on Darts too. Society doesn't just divide up into people with and without manners based on who gets the Dart and commuter trains. Maybe your one of them on the Darts so you don't notice.
    The excuse that their journey is longer so the need for a seat is greater is ridiculous! These people who refuse to move are the most ignorant people i've ever come across...

This is nonsense. I usually get on in Grand Canal and you can't get a seat there so people getting on at Pearse have no chance. If there is a rush, its to try to fit on the train at all for the Maynooth line (the ba*stard child of Ianroid Eireann is the Maynooth/Longford IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Screw letting people off before you. It's basically every man for himself when it comes to getting a seat. Push and shove all the way. The harder you push the faster you'll get there etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Screw letting people off before you. It's basically every man for himself when it comes to getting a seat. Push and shove all the way. The harder you push the faster you'll get there etc

I like this thinking I may step it up a notch and include eye gouging and crotch kicking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

brim4brim wrote: »
    Been at this station and never noticed this. I always sit back at the wall until my train is next and most people do this that I've seen. There isn't a lot of space between the wall and the platform in some spots in Pearse compared to other station so I guess that might cause some of it if it occurs.

Have you been there at rush hour (between 4:30 and 6) ? It's mental packed alright but there's a clear pathway between the people at the edge in their clusters and the people at the back railing.
    Mostly people crowding the doors are people trying to get on the next train.

I always have to push past a number of people refusing to budge. They just stand there trying not make eye contact with the irate passengers trying to get on and off.

If it happens on Commuter trains then it happens on Darts too. Society doesn't just divide up into people with and without manners based on who gets the Dart and commuter trains. Maybe your one of them on the Darts so you don't notice.

Yes I don't doubt that for a second, however, I don't think i've ever seen that many people for the malahide dart doing it while i'm sitting back for the howth dart. Also, when i'm waiting for the malahide dart I've never seen as many howth bound people do it either. I've made a point of keeping an eye out to see how many people refuse to budge when a train arrives at the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

When the Darts arrive there's a lot(i'm talking 5-10 people) standing in the way of the doors of the darts blocking the people getting off the darts and the people trying to get on the darts.

I'll hazard a few guesses why,

1) Maybe they don't have the luxury of trains every few minutes like Darts
    2) Longer journey time (esp Dundalk/Longford)
    3) Timing issues/late trains/incorrect display boards
    4) Even longer journey time due to idiotic scheduling of aforementioned Dart in front.:rolleyes:
    *5) Actually they're all just wild country feckers from beyond the pale, with no concept on how a modern integrated transport system such as "de dart or train" works

Anyway from what I've seen commuters at Pearse are just as rude, pushing past passengers trying to get off the Dart.

Perhaps one solution would be at evening rush-hour to dedicate either Pearse/Tara to train/Dart only. i.e Darts only stop at Tara, and trains at Pearse or vv.

Yeah I reckon the ballsed-up dart and commuter timings on the boards have a bit to do with it alright.

In my view though, it still doesn't excuse standing there like a ****ing prick blocking people coming on and off trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Tis about time this thread was made. People at Pearse station are just rude! The charging through the doors thing is ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Have you been there at rush hour (between 4:30 and 6) ? It's mental packed alright but there's a clear pathway between the people at the edge in their clusters and the people at the back railing.

I get the half 5 from Grand Canal and I have to stand getting on there so people getting on at Pearse have no chance of seats, just a good standing spot at best. I used to get it from Pearse when I first started in my job. I usually only arrived at the exact time my train was leaving and missed it every now and again so now I leave early to get it from Grand Canal.

At half 5, the next train to Maynooth is at 10 past 6 and it goes to Longford so it is monster packed and your lucky if you have breathing room which is why people are in such a hurray to pick their standing spot on the half 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

when i'm trying to step off the dart and some bastard trys to charge on, i usually say "EXCUSE ME" very loudly and then they get embarrassed and let me off. i have been known to drop the shoulder also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I just bash my way through the f**kers. YEAH I'm that guy. :mad:

ferdi wrote: »
    i have been known to drop the shoulder also.

yup, me too. Cant stand those ****ers that refuse to get out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Fair play lads, this happens alot on Dart. Bloody sure i use my shoulder! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'm sure the dart passengers just stand at the back and let all the north/west commuter passengers stroll up to the train... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dart Commuters are just mammy's boys that whinge about alleged bullying by the well 'ard Outer Suburban Commuters. :)

You're claimed! See you at 5:10 on Platform 1 in Pearse this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Thats quite a rush hour....lasts a full 90 mins!! :):)

gucci wrote: »
    Thats quite a rush hour....lasts a full 90 mins!! :):)

I'm Amish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Poco Loco

OP, I agree totally - they're not going to get on their train faster by blocking people getting on the Dart that comes before it! But to be fair, isn't everyone on the train/Dart/Luas rude when it comes to trying to get on the bloody things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Tis about time this thread was made. People at Pearse station are just rude! The charging through the doors thing is ridiculous! :rolleyes:
    Yes thank god for this thread. Now the people will no longer tolerate the injustice of being pushed by on a train and everyone will hold hands and sing songs and-

• Advertisement

From my experience, the people in Connolly are much worse. Just looking out the window and the few times I've gotten on there, its clearly every man/woman for themself.

Its disgraceful but there's nothing you can do about it. What I find worse is the lunacy that is the exit at connolly down the tunnel part (can't remember platform numbers there). Not only does it need another exit, why put a bin in front of the opening for the exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm trying to get into the thunderdrome but some fool is standing in the way of the door :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I notice a similar problem at the airport gates here. SouthWest Airlines does 'Open seating', like Ryanair: you don't get a deliberately assigned seat, you just sit wherever there's a gap. I see people standing in line for a full hour before they get on the airplane. Makes absolutely no sense to me, as all the seats are going to get to the other end at the same time. And I'm 6'5", so I don't buy the 'I want to get the comfortable/aisle/whatever' seat argument, beyond the first six or ten persons. (To get the exit rows)

NTM

Advertisement