Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone speak gobbledygook latin?

Options
  • 14-11-2007 1:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to post this, but can anyone translate this from latin to english?

Testantur hae literae Gradum Baccalaureatus Scientiae in Universitate hiberniae Nationali apud Galviam, quae Universitas particeps Universitatis Hiberniae Nationalis rite constituta est ad MY NAME delatum esse.

I think it's a degree. Not sure though. Why the **** is it in latin? I'm not feckin latinese.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not sure about most of it but Pighead does know that "particeps" is the latin for cockrot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

I looked particeps up, it's actually "scrotrot".

So, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Not sure where to post this, but can anyone translate this from latin to english?

Testantur hae literae Gradum Baccalaureatus Scientiae in Universitate hiberniae Nationali apud Galviam, quae Universitas particeps Universitatis Hiberniae Nationalis rite constituta est ad MY NAME delatum esse.

I think it's a degree. Not sure though. Why the **** is it in latin? I'm not feckin latinese.

Thanks.

I have VERY little Latin, but I'll try. It's somthing like;

"According to this diploma of the National Irish University in [Galviam = Galway??], this University being a member of the NUI, confers the right of my name to be mentioned here (or somewhere, not quite sure where)"

Disclaimer: the above could be rubbish [edit: more like is rubbish]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Congratulations, you've got a Bachelor of Science from UCG.

I think. Either that, or the Delatum means it's been revoked and your name stricken from the rolls. Who'd you piss off?

I need to compare with my own degree when I get home.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I put it into some Latin/English translation online thingy and it came up with this sh1te....

Testantur these literae To conduct one's self Baccalaureatus Knowledge upon The whole winter Nationali according to Galviam , which The whole partaker The whole Winter Nationalis duly to set up is to MY NAME delatum to be.

God bless the interweb :rolleyes:

I did Latin in school and failed it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I can speak gobbledygook but cant speak latin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Means, roughly(as in wiping your arse with sand-paper rough):
    NUI Galway, a member university of the NUI, names MY NAME the holder of this document of a Bachelor in Science.
    Roughly.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did 4 years of latin and can confirm the above.
    Latin was the language of scholars and you will find a great deal of the pre-renaissance books and documents were written in it. Its a tradional thing that graduations and degree's etc are written in it. Its not long ago that Mass would be said in it in fact...

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ceterum censeo Cathaginium esse delendum.

Although in modern internet parlance that may translate to "CARTHAGE FTL!!1! ROME PWNS".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

DeVore wrote: »
    Its not long ago that Mass would be said in it in fact...

DeV.

I think that there are one or two churches that are now doing mass in Latin. IIRC, Pope Benny XVI is favour of this sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I did Latin for my leaving cert and all :( been meaning to get back into it so I can impress some hot young men and score... um... are hot young men actually impressed by a lady well versed in classical tongues these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

A classical tongue would impress me greatly, but I'm not hot. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

are hot young men actually impressed by a lady well versed in classical tongues these days?
    Yes, but we tend to be more into sanskrit or hieroglyphs nowadays. Sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I think it's a degree. Not sure though......
    OP, just wondering:confused:, just before some fellow in a funny dress and hat handed you this parchment, did you fail to notice yourself hanging around some large buildings in Galway, mixing some funny coloured sh1t in beakers, ignoring some whiny guys rattling on at the front of a very large theatre type room, whiling away many an hour in Naughtons/The Kings Head, living in a dive of a flat over a laundrette, writing the answers to a load of ridiculous questions and taking a lot of... er right, I think I've just answered my own question.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think it means you passed

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gauge wrote: »
    are hot young men actually impressed by a lady well versed in classical tongues these days?
    God, yeah! ... especially when she flicks it around the ... on second thoughts, nvm, younger viewers and all that! >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

:eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

zaph wrote: »
    I think it means you passed

Yep. It doesn't have "Honoro cursu confecto" on it. Just a common or garden pass degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i don't know about that slowcoach. I got a first and i'm 99% sure mine didn't say that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Maybe you're right, CommanderVimes, but is your degree from an NUI? Or is it an older degree? Maybe the wording has changed. The wording on mine is exactly as the OP's, except I didn't go to Galviam and mine has those three little words. I presumed (maybe wrongly) that it meant something like zealously accomplished honours . :confused:

Come on, there must be some Latin experts out there. :)

My daughter's degree scroll is in English (how awfully common :rolleyes:) and it has her grade on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Slow coach wrote: »
    Maybe you're right, CommanderVimes, but is your degree from an NUI? Or is it an older degree? Maybe the wording has changed. The wording on mine is exactly as the OP's, except I didn't go to Galviam and mine has those three little words. I presumed (maybe wrongly) that it meant something like zealously accomplished honours . :confused:

Come on, there must be some Latin experts out there. :)

My daughter's degree scroll is in English (how awfully common :rolleyes:) and it has her grade on it.

mine is from an NUI. and her's is in english because its not as good as ours ;)

or less pretentious, i'm not totally sure

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Romans, they go in the 'ouse.

Advertisement