Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening the N2/N3 bus lanes ... ?!?

Options
  • 14-11-2007 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

What idiot decided to open the bus lanes on the northern routes ...N2/N3 in particularly? Does he or she not know that there are a substantial number of non-Dublin Bus services using these lanes?

It just goes to show that at the moments we have idiots making decisions on transport in Dublin. This would never have happened if we had a central authority.

Having said that it might demonstrate to the anti-bus lane contingent that opening these 'empty' lanes really makes damn all difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Its just the N2 buslane thats open.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

... which from what I saw was pretty crap for anyone that decided to get a taxi into town because of the bus strike along the N2...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

Sorry ... can please post the details ?

Which Road / Which Stretch of the Road / Which Direction ?

That way we might be able to help you to find which entity you can ring and complain to.

Edit :

DCC Traffic Control : Traffic Control Centre: Freefone 1800 293949

To contact the Traffic Control Centre
    for information or to provide it with information
    FreePhone 1800 87 23 45 (charges apply from mobiles)

Aha .. both from the DCC website two different numbers ... someone want to have a growl give it a go !

Agreed. Opening the Buslanes down to Hart's corner is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

AA roadwatch says just the N2 / Finglas road bus lane is closed (ie open to traffic). All the others are unaffected.

Agreed it's daft to close the bus lanes just because some of the buses aren't being used by DB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't think it's daft at all. For example I sat on the N2 going towards Harts Corner on Monday and about 2 Bus Eireann buses went by and taxis. All this time commuters, including myself, who would usually get one of the buses affected sat in heavy traffic, through no fault of their own, while the lane to their left was mostly empty. In fact it makes perfect sense to open up that buslane.
    BrianD wrote: »
    Having said that it might demonstrate to the anti-bus lane contingent that opening these 'empty' lanes really makes damn all difference.

That's a very poor argument to make as a substantial amount of extra cars were on the road so it can't be used for comparison purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

So why should those BE customers and taxis be discommoded ?

Here is another thought

If a lane has been de-assigned from being a bus lane.... you should be able to park in it.

Someone tell me why you can't [ to win this one you need to give a link to the SI ] ... unless someone's stuck up a temporary clearway sign.

Don't get pedantic, it only makes your comments a non-argument.

Bus lanes are there to serve Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann, private operators, taxis *and* to keep a route reasonably free to emergency service vehicles. Removing the bus lane restriction because some of the buses from one of the users are missing is short sighted.

No it's not. The need of the many outweigh the need of the few as has been said about other things.

"Some of the buses from one(sic) of the users". Now that's a short sighted comment and obviously you're not affected by the drivers action. You think a handful of buses and taxis are far more important than the thousands of extra people forced onto the road ? Your as selfish as those striking.

What about the existing DB services that are running? Do the passengers on that or who walked to that (which is what I'm doing at the moment) don't count? If I make the effort to continue taking public transport, why should I play second fiddle to people who drive?

If I'm waiting for an ambulace, fire brigade or garda car to arrive but it's stuck in traffic because they opened the bus lanes, what's the benefit there?

selfish my ass..

• Advertisement

Tell me what existing Dublin Bus service running that does not operate out of Harristown travels the length of the N2 buslane ? Few if any I reckon.
    And yes, you have a selfish ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Jip wrote: »
    No it's not. The need of the many outweigh the need of the few as has been said about other things.

"Some of the buses from one(sic) of the users". Now that's a short sighted comment and obviously you're not affected by the drivers action. You think a handful of buses and taxis are far more important than the thousands of extra people forced onto the road ? Your as selfish as those striking.

Except there is no evidence to suggest that those who can't use the bus have switched to their cars. None whatsoever. There was absolutely no justification to open the bus lanes as far more people are being affected by them being open to all vehicles. This is the simple fact of the matter.

Advertisement