Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting large calendar from UK to Dublin - how?

Options
  • 13-11-2007 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

I was going to post this in the "couriers" section under "business" but, although that section lists lots of posts, they seem to have vanished. It's a dead zone!

In any case, I really don't want to use a courier - read on.

My friend (Karen) has a large calendar to go to an address in Dublin from Peterborough (UK). It's apparently too large for airmail and couriers want 21 GBP extra because it's "across water" from the UK. I don't know the exact dimensions (I'll try to find out) but I wondered if anyone has experience of this? I thought it might be possible to use First Class Post to get it to someone in Northern Ireland but would it then be cheap to post it to Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Did she try a post office? What kind of a calender is too big to go by airmail? Is it like Stonehenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

couriers want 21 GBP extra

Isn't that your answer right there? Courier!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Try purchasing a smaller calender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Buy some large brown paper sheeting.

Wrap the calendar.

Write address in suitable large lettering.

Purchase a comedy sized stamp.

Post the calendar.

Try Royal Mail - Parcelforce, use the "economy" delivery method.

Failing that, cut it up into small pieces and fax it over :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Address it to yourself, put you friends address on the back as the sender.
    Post it without a stamp.
    The Post Office will refuse to deliver it without a stamp and return it to the sender.

Job done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Make a paper boat out of it and sail it across the water. If it's like most calendars it will have a glossy coating that will stop it from sinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Hagar wrote: »
    Post it without a stamp.
    The Post Office will refuse to deliver it without a stamp and return it to the sender.

Job done.

Does that actually work? (For Irish to Irish addresses in Ireland - obviously Royal mail will catch on that since the return to sender address is in Ireland something isn't right).

Or do they just dump those mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

DesF wrote: »
    Buy some large brown paper sheeting.

Wrap the calendar.

Write address in suitable large lettering.

Purchase a comedy sized stamp.

Post the calendar.

made me laugh

can't you roll it up and post it in a tube

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Post it without a stamp.

Job done.

It won't work:
    i) It's UK <-> Ireland ... Even Royal Mail would work that out)
    ii) The recipient (Or maybe you?) would just get a note in the door saying something like "We gots yo packet, come pay us for it. Muhahaha!" (It may or may not be written with cut-outs from magazines)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Karoma wrote: »
    It won't work:
    i) It's UK <-> Ireland ... Even Royal Mail would work that out)
    ii) The recipient (Or maybe you?) would just get a note in the door saying something like "We gots yo packet, come pay us for it. Muhahaha!" (It may or may not be written with cut-outs from magazines)
    Damn there was me thinking Hagar had come up with the most cunning plan since... Since, That Nigerian fella that does them email scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Roll it up, put it in a big tube (or a small section of plastic drainpipe), wrap it in brown paper (but leave one end open), and but a address on it, show it to the post office (ie: this is a poster, not a pipe-bomb), close and selotape it, and post it through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ScumLord wrote: »
    Damn there was me thinking Hagar had come up with the most cunning plan since... Since, That Nigerian fella that does them email scams.
    It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. :D
    Ya that's what Jesus said and look what happened there, that's why the catholic church invented smileys!

Advertisement