Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beaches

Options
  • 13-11-2007 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Which is the best beach in Dublin to go swimming?
    Or surrounding areas on Dart/Commuter line?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I always found Killiney beach kinda nice. Not a big fan of sandy beaches so this provides a bit of a change.

Otherwise fortyfoot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Southside - Seapoint is a popular spot and close to same Dart station.

the aforementioned 40 foot

On the Northside, City to Portranne you have:

Dollymount - too remote for train unless you like a good walk. Long sandy beach - Shelter and steps into deep water at the bull wall end. A swim along Bull wall a surprisingly pleasant considering it's at the mouth of the dublin port - I know a few people who use it regularly. Beach has a rep for being dirty.

Next beach - Claremont beach Howth - if the tide's out you'll walk miles to get wet. Harbour end can be a bit smelly from the fish industry). There are a few other swimming opportunities round Howth head. Real close to dart station.

Burrow beach Sutton, not far from sutton station and is the continuation of Claremont beach Howth - not great - has been subject to severe erosion - be wary of tidal channels around low water.

Silver Strand Portmarnock. A bit of a trek from Portmarnock station (think there is a shortcut across the dunes which brings you out up north end of beach - other posters may be able to advise). Long beach - lovley sand - have to go out miles to get a decent bit of depth. Relatively safe for kids.

From the Silver Strand you work your way around the coast to High rock and Low Rock between Malahide and Portmarnock - bit of a walk from either station. you'll find people swimming down here all year round. Pebbles - advise flip flops. High rock is a concrete platform on the rocks with a ladder - good around high water, you could find yourself crawling on seaweed covered rocks at low water.

Low rock further up toward Malahide - you'll find the steps onto bebbly beach.

Next stop Malahide beach, Sandy - keep to the beach and away from the channel near the marina.

Malahide marina has a blue flag - but you'd wanna be nuts to swim there for fun.

Donabate - visible from malahide - but not reachable from Malahide (swimming across channel NOT a good idea).

To get to Donabate strand got the Commuter to Donabate - you're again in for a bit of a walk. Long sandy beach - walk a bit further up and you get to Portranne beach - more of the same.

Don't have too much detail on swimming spots further north - someone else may be able to continue.

Here's Fingal's beach info - though the map tool seems to be crap:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/EnvironmentandWater/Beaches/ListofBeaches/

http://www.iws.ie/lifeguarded-waterways-page18815.html#Dun%20Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Id go with Killiney -

you wouldnt be doing any swimming at seapoint if the tide is out..youd be fine at killiney though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 animal

Seapoint is actually not safe for swimming at the moment. I was out there quite a bit over the summer and it really was lovely but late in the summer there was a dark colour in the water and a bit of a smell. it lost it's blue flag at the end august/ start of september. Apparently due to the wet weather some sewage tank overflowed. It really doesn't bear thinking about what i was swimming in.

The 40 foot is lovely and is only a stones throw beyond Dun Laoighre in Sandycove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Swam Malahide marina before and agree that you'd wanna be mad to swim it.The currents will take you out to Lambay island in no time.Portmarnock is pretty safe and clean.

I swam in Howth too in Balscadden.Its the small pebble beach heading up Howth Head away from the harbour.Wore my snorkel and saw some amazing jellyfish and a slick of raw sewage heading my way.

40 foot is clean,when I was 14,I swam to the bottom of the seabed and picked up a dogfish in my hands,amazing.Killiney is supposed to be nice too.

I always liked Donabate.

Has anybody ever swam off that beach at the back of Ardgillan Park?Its virtually untouched and I've never heard/seen people swimming there.Wonder if there is a dangerous current?Might be a very interesting spot to snorkel/dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

animal wrote: »
    Seapoint is actually not safe for swimming at the moment. I was out there quite a bit over the summer and it really was lovely but late in the summer there was a dark colour in the water and a bit of a smell. it lost it's blue flag at the end august/ start of september. Apparently due to the wet weather some sewage tank overflowed.

I read in the local paper that it should still have the flag. They say the smell is algae and not sewage. But no smoke without fire, or smell without crap ;)

Seapoint is nice, rails and ramps to get in and out, and a shower & toilets.

Killiney is OK, I prefer whiterock up the road from it. Better still is hawks cliff AKA vico baths. No sand, straight in and out, ropes & rails, small spot. Often nudists down there too so bear in mind if you object or have kids, not really suited to kids anyway, though there is a small safe pool, but only usable at mid tide really.

Watch your belongings at 40ft, can be full of scumbags, usually only in good weather though.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭doh777

blackbelt wrote: »
    ,when I was 14,I swam to the bottom of the seabed and picked up a dogfish in my hands,amazing.

How far down did you have to go? And was it low or high tide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

doh777 wrote: »
    blackbelt wrote: »
    ,when I was 14,I swam to the bottom of the seabed and picked up a dogfish in my hands,amazing.

How far down did you have to go? And was it low or high tide?

I can't remember but it was deep enough.Visibility was surprisingly very good.I say it was about 8-10 metres deep.

Advertisement