Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family wiped out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A couple and their five children were feared dead today in one of the North’s worst ever fire tragedies.

The youngest of the victims was a baby, just months old, neighbours said.

Flames swept through a terrace house at Lammy Crescent, Omagh, Co Tyrone.

Fire crews from Omagh and neighbouring towns and villages fought the blaze, which apparently started on the first floor at around 4.30am.

The tiled roof collapsed and neighbours said there was little they could do to save the family, some of whom were spotted upstairs at the height of the fire.

Omagh independent councillor Paddy McGowan, a former fireman, said: “I’ve never seen anything like it. It must have been a ferocious fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

the family, some of whom were spotted upstairs at the height of the fire.

chilling to think that they were trying to get out, as opposed to going in their sleep because of smoke :(

very sad story

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unpossible wrote: »
    the family, some of whom were spotted upstairs at the height of the fire.
    chilling to think that they were trying to get out, as opposed to going in their sleep because of smoke :(

very sad story
    Even worse when you think that they were trying to get their kids. Wonder what caused it?

Heartbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It is understood there was an open fire in the house.]

From the breakingnews.ie story, but would imagine it's way too early to speculate.

Definately a very sad storey, Sincere condolences to any relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

thats horrible...an entire family:(
    that community will be shook up id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Apparently the father got out but went back in to rescue the family. Pretty rough.
    chilling to think that they were trying to get out, as opposed to going in their sleep because of smoke
    They would have suffocated before any flames reached them. It's not a nice way to die, but most victims simply pass out, so its relatively painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Apparently the father got out but went back in to rescue the family. Pretty rough.
    .... damn, :(
    They would have suffocated before any flames reached them. It's not a nice way to die, but most victims simply pass out, so its relatively painless.
    I hope so, but imagine the panic and terror.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

You always think you'd have time to get out should the house catch fire - it should be a lesson for us all to be extra careful over christmas, and double check those smoke alarms.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Horrible news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Very sad news indeed.

Glowing wrote: »
    it should be a lesson for us all to be extra careful over christmas, and double check those smoke alarms

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

This is such a sad story, really heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

RIP all of you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1292601,00.html
    Detectives have not ruled out criminal involvement in the fire which is feared to have claimed the lives of a family of seven in Northern Ireland

I realy hope that is was just a tragic accident and nothing more sinister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

RIP to the family. Very sad story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Jesus , thats sad...

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Glowing wrote: »
    You always think you'd have time to get out should the house catch fire - it should be a lesson for us all to be extra careful over christmas, and double check those smoke alarms.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Yeah, I always think it would be a good idea for families to have fire drills and alternative escape plans.

This is about as bad as it gets. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All I can say its be extra safe during the holiday season: its a time when everyone lets down their guard to some degree.

Checking you fire alarms definitely, but even considering party-behavior and all that: my stepmom died 3 weeks from now last year because she went out to a christmas party and didnt bring a jacket - the drink took to her quiote merrily, she walked down the wrong road home and froze to death in a ditch in Clare: horrible storm, and she didnt even bring a jacket with her.

RIP all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

RIP

terrible happenings

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some young lads managed to get a ladder up at the front window. They could see the people inside, but there was nothing they could do.
    Poor bas*ards. That image, along with the word "if" will haunt them the rest of their lives :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's happened at few times for people coming home from parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Overheal wrote: »

All I can say its be extra safe during the holiday season: its a time when everyone lets down their guard to some degree.

Checking you fire alarms definitely, but even considering party-behavior and all that: my stepmom died 3 weeks from now last year because she went out to a christmas party and didnt bring a jacket - the drink took to her quiote merrily, she walked down the wrong road home and froze to death in a ditch in Clare: horrible storm, and she didnt even bring a jacket with her.

RIP all.

Sorry to hear about that, Overheal. I know of the accident, my boyfriends stepmother was her friend from a while back. it must have been a great shock, thinking of the rest of the family.

Advertisement