Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developers tidy up forums with "StupidFilter"

Options
  • 12-11-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

would this be a good or bad thing?

Developers tidy up forums with "StupidFilter"

A team of US software developers is developing a "StupidFilter" that will block unintelligible posts from internet message boards.

Once the software is installed on a webserver it will scan posts before they are published for nonsense terms including "OMG!!" and "LOL", blocking the worst offenders with a message that says "This comment is more or less unintelligible. Please try to restate it."

According to the team's frequently asked questions page, the filter will be targeting "comments with too much or too little capitalisation, too many text-message abbreviations, excessive use of 'LOL', exclamation points, and so on."

The FAQ does go on to note a few sticking points, including the fact that the filter is "blind to irony", making clever posts somewhat redundant, and that dividing stupidity from mere carelessness is always going to be a tricky proposition, a problem it intends to deal with by creating a rating system for each post.

Despite the inherent challenges the team clearly feels the project is worth the effort, noting that "effective textual communication requires at least some formal rigour, and we feel such rigour is worth encouraging and, at times, enforcing."

The team is currently asking users to visit its site and help them rate a selection of idiotic YouTube posts on a scale of one to five.

The filter is expected to be released in December, with a Firefox plugin for self-censorship to follow at a later date.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/136299/developers-tidy-up-forums-with-stupidfilter.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Bit of a dumb idea really, unless there's a moderator who has the job of sorting through the deleted posts to check if it was a valid deletion. And it still wouldn't get rid of all the other bull**** posts that you get every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

whatever about LOL and WTF, I sure wish those guys at youtube would come up with something to filter comments. The amount of racism and other offensive nonsense all over the place is shocking. The comments are never removed by the uploader

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

This being AH, i assumed your post was a complete pisstake and was expecting some form of cat picture in the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sod the internet, I have a Back button for that. Where's the Real Life edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the Real Life edition is Dont Ever Visit Kentucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The filter can only scan for syntax, if it could scan for real idiots I'd be long gone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wouldnt it make more sense to add on a rating system to it: where moderators can rate the intelligence of members and their posts - whereby a reasonably intelligent user can get on with typing OMG its NBD MYOB every once in a blue moon.

EDIT: ("Oh my god its no big deal mind your own business!")

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Where's the Real Life edition?

http://www.ammunation.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

OMG :eek:

LOL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Sizzler wrote: »
    OMG :eek:

LOL :)

OMG :mad: GOT THERE BEFORE ME LOL:D:cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

jimbo78 wrote: »
    OMG :mad: GOT THERE BEFORE ME LOL:D:cool::cool:

a/s/l?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bebo will die if its stuck on there.

so gets my vote

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Certain sections of boards already has "Stupidity" filters already

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=274366

Wonder how busy Terry, Karoma et al would be with one in AH?
    (And how long it would take for AH to be rendered a tumble weed strewn ghost town?)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A-Trak wrote: »
    Certain sections of boards already has "Stupidity" filters already

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=274366

Wonder how busy Terry, Karoma et al would be with one in AH?
    (And how long it would take for AH to be rendered a tumble weed strewn ghost town?)
    2wks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

omg taht si teh GAYY how r we supposd to typ evrtng proply !!!!!!!!!!!!

OMGWTFBBQ.

Kthnxbai.

But yeah, bebo, facebook, myspace and loads of others would surely lose 90% of their users if this is ever used.

Advertisement