Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro and arcade forum idea: Videogame Club

Options
  • 12-11-2007 2:13pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Got this idea from retrogamer magazine. A few other forums have a videogaming club going and I think we could try the same thing here with a sticky if there is enough interest. Basically it's like a book club but with videogames. We get some members and do up a rota, new members can go to the back of the rota. Very week some one nominates a game that the other members will play during the week and discuss it. Only games for systems that are easy to obtain the roms for should be allowed so that everyone can play the nominated game.

Any takers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yeah - we should give it a shot anyhow.

How long would one have to play the game before being allowed to comment ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Depends on the game really. There could be a bit of a high score competition with some games so it might (hopefully) drag some out :) I think it will only work if people make an effort to at least play the games. It wouldn't be fair to nominate a sprawling RPG but exceptions can be made if people are in agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

+1

Will there be ground rules for platforms, genres and age of games ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

trout wrote: »
    +1

Will there be ground rules for platforms, genres and age of games ?

I don't think there should be. If the game is easy to obtain for an emulator or old dos game then there's no reason that it shouldn't be allowed to be used. We would have to draw the line at CD based systems since these are harder to obtain although if everone has access to the game then an exception can be made. To begin with it should be kept to no console above the 16-bit cartridge systems. I'm hoping a lot of you can recommend me some really old 8-bit classics for home computers that I wouldn't have played before. It's best to keep the decision on what game is picked up to the personal choice of who evers turn it is to pick a game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

sounds like a good idea alright
    only problem may be mentioning "teh r0mz" on the boards might be a bit dodge even if they're quite old 8bit era ones.

• Advertisement

As long as we don't link to any sites that have illegal roms then we aren't breaking any charter rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Well Retr0gamer - you might as well get the ball rolling and suggest a system/game !

I'll give it until tomorrow and throw up a game. It's going to be a real golden oldie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

like the idea of this, count me in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Tis a great idea. People can get the space to properly discuss their recommendations without giving a two-line summary in one post among dozens, or starting a thread that will probably only be read by a few people who already know the game. I'm looking forward to it.
    Nice one Retr0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Fair play Retr0Gamer - I'll think this idea is good. Should we nominate an initial small ordered list of volenteers who would do a game each week after Retr0Gamer?

Yep. We should do it in order of the people who responded to this thread expressing an interest and add anyone else after that. Perhaps we can post it in the VG club thread and edit the post when more peole join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭djsim

Is it too late or can SIM join in also?

I could never turn down an offer of playing some old school games!

There's no time limit on joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

videogaming club list order so far...

Retr0Gamer - you can stickie or change as you wih.

01. Retr0gamer (Tues 13-19 Nov)
    02. deadl0ck (20-26 Nov)
    03. trout (27 Nov - 03 Dec)
    04. luas_dublin (04-10 Dec)
    05. Roar (11-17 Dec)
    06. Trode (18-24 Dec)
    07. hamster (25-31 Dec)
    08. djsim (01-07 Jan)

If anyone can't do any particular week we could swap or whatever - the above is just a guideline. Just so happens I get xmas week. Heh! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Good Idea

+1

How about multiplayer contests or just for fun, using the Kalleira client?

Kalleira can be used with most platforms.
    Would be class even just for a 2 player game of Double Dragon, Streets of Rage etc...!

If someone is willing throw up a server then there's no problem.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If someone is willing throw up a server then there's no problem.

Cant you use the existing servers with Kalliera?
    I thought their server was used only for finding people.

And youre using your own bandwidth to connect their IP address.

Just look for their username and away you go?

Not sure how it works, I've never used it.

Theres a rake of free servers, just have it open right now.

Ive never actually played against someone though,
    i guess im into the more alternative games rather than Street Fighter
    which seems to be the most popular on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Morva

What about that old Douglas Adams game, I think it was call Starship Titanic? I played it a few years ago after finally finding it (I didn't have a computer when it first came out).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

might be a bit tricky for people to get hold of though.
    (what with it being 3 or 4 cds I think)
    Oddly enough I actually have a copy of it , but never got around to plying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'm interested if you guys are still recruiting?

It kind of fell on it's ass a bit with people not suggesting anything when it was their week and people having trouble with emulators. I couldn't dedicate time to it either for shame since I ended up getting really busy in college at the time. Hopefully there'll be a rejuvenation some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

It's a great idea and a shame if nothing came out of it.

Emulators are ok but there is no substitute for the real thing :-) What about having a society where people can share their knowledge and help to build, maintain and repair old arcade machines?
    Maybe get someone in who has done this already and go through a session on how it's done, where is the place to find cheap systems and parts and then have a competition for the highest score?

A room over a pub would do and shouldn't cost anything.
    What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 justin.rattigan

I take it this idea has died on it's feet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Sure looks like it... Think I'll send this one to a watery grave. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement