Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connection to house electrical supply

Options
  • 12-11-2007 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Can anybody please tell me if there is a way of connecting a car radio cd mp3 player to an electrical supply from your home house.

i.e. what cables connectors I would need

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Basically you'll need some kind of 12V transformer+rectifier capable of producing a few amps. These can be quite pricey for high powered ones as they're normally quite regulated. You don't need good regulation though as the car stereo will smooth and regulate the incoming supply...

Actually, thinking about it, maybe a lighting transformer would do the job? Haven't tried it myself but any mains-12V transformer for low voltage halogen lighting should work. On second thoughts though, the output of those is AC, so that's a no-no...

I will say though: If you're not sure what you're doing, get someone else to do it! Worst case, you burn down your house or kill yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Ask in the hobby radio forum ? http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=922

They often use hefty 12v power supplies for radios

Advertisement